2009 Shotgun Hunt

AzuluSpookd

Thanks man....I'm usually really good with my aim...it may have been because that was the first ever buck that I saw in person...who knows...but thanks for the congrats. Last year, on this gun I had tru glo sights on them...one broke off and I didn't replace them, so there's just the beeds on the top of this gun...I went shootin' just before my moose hunt, fired 6 slugs at 80 yards and bullseye on all 6.

I just finished skinning it in the garage and there were two shots in it....one of them not so good :oops:

I still have one more tag for my bow...at least that one has a scope on it! :thumbsup_anim::whistling::w00t:

Congrats on the deer. Everyone thinks that hunting is like it is on the TV shows and thats bull crap. Not every deer is standing perfect broadside and a perfect shot made. In the real world there is running/ bounding/ un optimal shots but they can also get the job done. NICE BUCK :thumbsup_anim:

Appreciate the added explanation AzuluSpookd but to me, was not necessary..... what really matters is that you have yourself venison for the next little while B)

You did good and it doesn't get any better than that!!!

Again great job man!!!

Leechman

Just a question!

Where do you shoot a deer that is heading away from you?

Three shots, I have never shot a deer that took more than one shot and it was always in the mortal wound area.

If it took the deer two hours to expire, I would have to say that the shot should have been re-thought or passed on completely.

Looking at the pics tells me that the deer was shot somewhere in the haunch area and suffered a long and painful death.

Sorry to put a damper on your buck but I am surprised more hunters on this site have not spoken up already.

Firing a few shots at a paced off tree at up to 80 or 90 yds prior to the hunt would help this immensely IMHO.

Not trying to start a war, just think that hunters should try for the one well placed shot, one kill scenario.

Exactly, if you don not have a clean vital organ shot and I know it's the hard to do but wait for the next one. Nobody wants an animal to suffer needlessly and I'm sure you didn't either, but this one probably did. Another thing that may have helped is to have waited a half hour or so after your shot before tracking down the animal allowing it to settle down and die.

Edited by GeorgeJ

Congrats on the deer. Everyone thinks that hunting is like it is on the TV shows and thats bull crap. Not every deer is standing perfect broadside and a perfect shot made. In the real world there is running/ bounding/ un optimal shots but they can also get the job done. NICE BUCK :thumbsup_anim:

I guess it's a matter of who you are and how ethical you are when you hunt.

I personally would never shoot at a "running/bounding" deer.

Those shots are for the rednecks that are all about getting a deer on the meat pole no matter what the cost to the animal.

All my hunting partners pride themselves in the one shot one kill rule and none of them would ever make an "un optimal" shot as you call it.

Edited by fishinfool

Don't go running to buy that rifled barrel yet, have you looked at the "saddle scope mounts"? I have one on my Browning BPS, a run of mill, a.k.a. cheapy Tasco scope, with a bit of patience and perseverance, 3-4" groups at 80m with just regular remington 2 3/4 slugs.

I have a rifled barrel for sale right now if your interested. Its a remington, 3", fully rifled, with iron sights. I've only shot it at targets, never hunted it. Maybe 20 shots thru it. Mint shape, asking $200.

Pm if your interested. :)

S.