Float reel decsision? Need expert advise

bassjnkie

I had 2 entry level float reels in the past that I never gave them a chance because I had no time, so I sold them. I figure I have a lot of time to figure out the reel now, so I am looking for one. The problem is I know nothing when it comes to these reels and to me they all look and function the same. I went to a bunch shops and got 10 different suggestions and I'm still confused. What do you suggest? I don't want a super light reel like the SST3 but I'm not looking for a heavy reel. It's going to be used for everything from small trout to big carp using light lines. So far the No.1 suggestion is the SST2.

Just got back, I went to see the SST-2 and SST-3 and they are both nice reels. The 3 is lighter than I thought and the 2 is the perfect weight. Stone I was thinking about the Islander, but can't find anyone that sell them. Buster I am looking to buy new for now, but I could be interested buying used. Can you send me a picture of the reels.

Hey Dan

If you're looking for an Islander new, some stores you can check out not too far from Toronto include (But not limited to)

- Natural Sports

- Angling Specialties

-Tightlines

- BPS at one time had a few...Not sure if they do now

Islanders are great reels...Had mine for ages and it has never let me down. My only gripe is I think the clicker was designed more for people who retrieve with their right hand (at least on mine) - Clicker lets line out much easier than it is to wind in.

G Loomis or tournament drifters are solid reels. They wont break the bank either. I might have one for sale if interested

I agree. I used an original Drifter as my main reel for 15 years and it is still in my collection.

They're solid reels that are bullet proof. Mine has been stomped in the mud and dropped/thrown and bounced off rocks and it still runs like a top!!! B)

If your in woodbridge, just drive down Hwy 7 past keele 200m and you are there on the north side. the guy isnt overly friendly and he will watch you like you are stealing with an unlite smoke in his mouth,...but he has some quality stuff, many pins,..I think I saw and islander in the display case. just for fun ask him if he has any bulk steelhead roe....lol he seems to get uptight, maybe becasue his wife is tying the bags all day to sell for $6/doz...lol, but if you really want it,..just lean on him...;). take a look at the floats he has behind the counter, riverwood,..good stuff;).

Ive been reviewing the Islander for the past year. I wrote a review on WFN if you want to read it. www.wfn.tv/blog/justin Great reel for the money. Upgrade bearings though if you get it.

I have heard many times about upgrading the bearings with an islander,..due to start up etc,...I think after 2 years I undersand why.. in Frog water conditions etc. ,...how does one go about upgrading them?

I have heard many times about upgrading the bearings with an islander,..due to start up etc,...I think after 2 years I undersand why.. in Frog water conditions etc. ,...how does one go about upgrading them?

Contact Islander, Im sure they will ship them to you or ask your local shop to order them for you. If you run into any problems, let me know and I'll ask my contact at Islander to help you out.

Contact Islander, Im sure they will ship them to you or ask your local shop to order them for you. If you run into any problems, let me know and I'll ask my contact at Islander to help you out.

Is ther somewhere I can just pay to have it done ? Im pretty lazy about that stuff lol.

Islander bearings are press fit and as such, Islander strongly recommends that the reel be returned to the point of sale so that the reel can be returned to them and they'll swap out the old bearings for the upgrades (to ensure that it's done properly and no damage occurs).

that sounds like an offseason thin which is like 7 months away,...is there a 24 hour turnaround dealio?

Not that I'm aware of but you could ask at shops that sell them for alternatives to shipping back to Islander.

That said, is it really something that is so pressing that can't wait until the off-season? Given that your bearings are only two years old, I'm sure they still work just fine.

Not that I'm aware of but you could ask at shops that sell them for alternatives to shipping back to Islander.

That said, is it really something that is so pressing that can't wait until the off-season? Given that your bearings are only two years old, I'm sure they still work just fine.

its not the age,...its the froggie water in a few holes i fish,..my buddies tell me the upgarded bearings will help the drift a bit,...maybe cleaning it will too lol.....but your right its not that pressing at all....was just curious...if DMASSE would ever get his pudlenut*** out of hiding he could do it,...but silly marriage stuff....lol