11/04/09 Steelhead Report!

Hey Everyone.

Raptorfan and I headed out to a new place tonight to do some Steelhead fishing.

We geared up at H&H Tackle in Brantford then headed out.

We were a little worried about wading into the water as it was unknown territory, but we took our time and got a hang of the FAST current.

Raptorfan started out drifting Roe with his new 10'6 Quantum float rod (its awesome.) and while he was doing that I casted my Little Glow Cleo out. First cast, stuck on a rock, line snappage. BOOOOO.

Went to shore and tied up a new rig with a snap swivel on the end for easier changing.

I decided to go with a Black Mepps Spinner with Orange dots on it.

I waded out to Raptorfan and casted up stream, which is against what you are supposed to do with spinners.. (I think).

As soon as it hit the water, all those nights at hamilton harbour fishing for Salmon came flashing back as my line SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEECHED off the reel. I knew this was the big one.

A few minutes into the fight it was still up stream and did a massive tail jump. It was huge.

It was fighting stronger than my 21lb salmon that I caught a month ago.

About 10 minutes in and it was now down stream and pretty much across the river. I noticed that it wasnt really fighting anymore, but the line was still coming off. I thought to myself... awesome.. its tired... time to walk downstream and land it.

We got almost parallel to it, after almost going for a swim several times, and I felt that feeling in my stomach like something had happened.

There was still tension on the line but nothing was happening. So we waded out to where the line was, to find out that it was wrapped around about 3 very large rocks, and the fish..... was gone......

Very reminiscent of the night where I caught a salmon but it got away as we tried to land it. I cried.

I don't know how much a 'big' steelhead weighs around here, but I will say without a doubt that it was at the higher end of the TROPHY FISH tier.

Even though I didn't land it, it was so exhilarating to fight such a powerful fish. I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to go back to Bass and Walleye again... they just don't fight 1/4 as hard as a Steelhead or Salmon.

Then on the way back in I had a Peter Griffin moment and slipped on a rock into a bigger rock right into my shin. (Which is now 5 times the normal size and purple.) lol.

Are there any specific Spinners that work better? We kind of wondered why a fish hit a black lure in the pitch black.

Do they all work the same at night or are some colors better?

Amazing night, can't wait to go back!

I ws told use dark at night as the fish looks up it can see the dark through the lighter water/sky evan if it is 2:00AM with no moon.

Now I have to get out in the next few weeks to see what I can do too for those "big" fish...

I hooked and lost my first big steelhead today. My 2/5 lil' cleo got snagged on bottom and i managed to get it out so i was pulling up and reeling hard to get it up off the bottom of the river, 10 feet out or so and WHAM! Very much like an atlantic salmon strike, i saw a huge silver and pink flash and my heart jsut starting pouding. The first 10 seconds was just incredibly savage head thrashing and running into the back current. The fish shook its head more than any fish i've ever hooked, then it ran out into the main current nd this is where my 7 ft walleye gear let me down, the fish started fighting hard and i couldnt keep the tension on the line and it spit it! So close, but so far away....I'm spending a lot of money next month on gear, I'm so hooked.

I don't know how much a 'big' steelhead weighs around here, but I will say without a doubt that it was at the higher end of the TROPHY FISH tier.

Aren't all the ones that get away the trophies? I know mine are :P

Just kidding, but maybe I shouldn't say much as I've been getting my arse kicked by the bows this year. Those fresh run fish can be wild. You'll probably remember that fish until you get another one, but it sounds like you're on the right track. You'll get one soon enough.

And make sure you continue to be careful around unknown water at night. Especially this time of year when the temps are getting down there.

this is how i laughed when I watched that clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSKRfbzqLqc...feature=related

you guys are killin me.. :worthy: classic..

Careful with the spinners, Steelhead get snagged too. ;) Not saying this was the case, but it can happen and I would think more often with a spinner teble than a number 14 single hook.

I find most fish will move away from a lure if they aint hungry.. The only thing i ever seem to snag is carp.. go figure?!? I guess thats natures way .. kill off the slow and stupid. B)

I find most fish will move away from a lure if they aint hungry.. The only thing i ever seem to snag is carp.. go figure?!? I guess thats natures way .. kill off the slow and stupid. B)

Not in the fast water though... I've ripped a spinner across a steelheads back before and it went nuts!

Even casting at Port Hope for chinnies a month or so ago.. You'd rack one across the back and it would take off 100yrds before you even knew what happened...

lol, any species can get snagged....its when you can see the fish in an obvious holding location that you will have the more chance of snagging them.....not sure about anyone else,..but on those days you get 40-50 smolts robbing your eggs,...i have personally brought a couple in by the belly. see they hit and spit and you set and its belly time. this can happen with bigger chinooks and steelhead and almost any species holding in a particular area. Using a a bigger lure with trebles just increases the chance of it happening,...dont get me wrong i know small spinners work well for steelhead when they are agressive and not spooked,...however if you can see them,..they can see you,..that calls for Ultra stealthy methods,...;) just trying to help ;)

I wondered how long it would take for the snagging replies to come.. sigh....

I didn't know you could snag a fish while the lure is pretty much midcast.... *shrug*...

sigh..

Dude, no one is bashing you here. We are just saying that a fish can get snagged in a shallow river a lot easier then they can out in the lake.

To bad you didn't get a look at the monster that took you downstream. Would have made losing it a lot easier I'm sure.

Dude, no one is bashing you here. We are just saying that a fish can get snagged in a shallow river a lot easier then they can out in the lake.

To bad you didn't get a look at the monster that took you downstream. Would have made losing it a lot easier I'm sure.

I know noone is bashing, it just sucks that we have to worry about posting here for fear of being called a poacher....

Also if you noticed up until my last 2 threads I've always posted the body of water I was fishing.. but after reading the last few where the OP's are getting absolutely bashed for mentioning where they were fishing, I've decided not to put myself through the flames...

I got a little glance at it when it jumped... :( lol

You're not poaching unless you are doing it on purpose, everyone ends up snagging a fish once in a while inadvertently.

I belly hooked a steelhead a few week's ago on the Saugeen. In about 6ft of water out in the middle of a run, lol..

I thought I had the fish of the day the way it took off downstream and me chasing behind it. Thought it was a 15lb fish for sure...It was about 5 :D

It happens!

You're not poaching unless you are doing it on purpose, everyone ends up snagging a fish once in a while inadvertently.

I belly hooked a steelhead a few week's ago on the Saugeen. In about 6ft of water out in the middle of a run, lol..

I thought I had the fish of the day the way it took off downstream and me chasing behind it. Thought it was a 15lb fish for sure...It was about 5 :D

It happens!

Nobody is calling you a poacher. These things do happen. I use a jigging spoon for perch and they get snagged very often. A 10" perch feels like a 2 pound smallie sometimes. That is the nature of the beast. As long as they are released immediately no biggie.

On the other hand you may have been into a huge steelie. That would have been nice to see for sure.

But like Bill says. when you don't catch fish in the mouth the fish fight crazy hard and are super stong.