Quantum Accurist PT

MCTFisher9120

Just saw this reel on sale for $100CDN on Cabelas site. I am 90% sure I'm going to get it and match it with my 7'MH TS2 Rapala rod. It looks sweet just wanted some feedback before I purchase it. Is it easy to tune, smooth, reliable etc.

Let me know what the reel has been like for yourself please.

A big thanks,

MTBF

http://www.cabelas.ca//store/?ID=4475&section=1188

Also, is this model a right handed reel normal size?

What about the Browning Midas baitcaster, on sale for 100 bucks...a lot more expensive reel that has been chopped down.

Opinions on it?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...tems#itemDetail

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

If it were me, I'd buy an Abu Garcia Revo S. Most places should be clearing them out...if not now, soon enough...for around $120. That'll end up being cheaper than the Quantum when you consider exchange and shipping.

Plus, I've heard much better things about this current generation of Abu baitcasters, not to mention the fact that both my friend and I own the model up, the Revo SX, and haven't had one problem yet.

i have an abu revo S im tryin to sell rite now, lol. used it for one tourney and swapped it off my rod for an energy PT i had. dont like the revo S, doesnt cast very far IMO, not as smooth as id like. in all reality, go on ebay, and keep ur eyes open, u always find good deals on reels there, for the same price, or maybe a bit more, u can get urself a very good top end reel, for the same money as u;d pay for the accurist or revo S.

I have one and it has been good for me for the past 2 seasons: easy to adjust, pretty good casting distance once you get it dialed in. $100 doesn't seem like that good of a deal for one. There are tons of reels on sale right now.

I have fished the Accurist side-by-side with the Rick Clunn BC from BPS (on sale for $79 right now) and would buy the Rick Clunn before buying another Accurist. It is just as nice a reel, and seems to be holding up better.

If it were me, I'd buy an Abu Garcia Revo S. Most places should be clearing them out...if not now, soon enough...for around $120. That'll end up being cheaper than the Quantum when you consider exchange and shipping.

Plus, I've heard much better things about this current generation of Abu baitcasters, not to mention the fact that both my friend and I own the model up, the Revo SX, and haven't had one problem yet.

only one thing about the revo the pawls wear out if you fish often.

i had to change mine on 2 reels the ones i fished 3 times per week 12 houres^per day on.

i switched them to ceramic pawls (original beeing metal)

noe there smooth like the :asshat: of a baby.

Needless to say there are my favourite reels hands down! :thumbsup_anim:

I have a couple of these Accurist's that I like okay. The reels in question were replaced by a new model last year, that's why they are on sale. They aren't a Chronach or a Tour Edition PT, but they're smooth enough and for $100.00 a good value.

In a couple of years there might not be any parts for them, but Quantum is a division of Zebco so we might be okay. You might want to phone Rocky's in Orillia or Aickmans and ask them about parts...

Like I said I bought two because of the price. When I got them I opened the reels to make sure everthing was in good order. One had grease on the centrifical brake, and the other had dry bearings. A little lighter fluid cleaned the brake drum, and a couple of drops of Hot Sauce made the other one work perfectly.

I believe that most of the complaints about these reels could have been cured or avoided the same way. A friend of mine who has fished tournaments for the last 5 years has had a couple of these reels since they were introduced around 2001. He more days a year than most guys and has had no issues.

Rick Clunn uses his signature series BPS rod and reels exclusively and that is a good recommend as far as I'm concerned.

The trouble with BPS is you don't know if there will parts available down stream.

Browning is another dark horse. I don't think they make any of there own reels, so they are not much different than BPS or Cabela's house brand reels and parts will be the long term problem.

Abu's have always had problems with their pawl and worm gear wearing out. The secret is to oil these parts after almost every trip. This advise is in their packaging.

Garry2R's

MTBF, the Browning reel are not that great, they are unreliable. I like the Daiwa Tierra for the price, it casts great, it's smooth, and has a great drag. Look in to the Quantum Code, I tested it this year and for the price it's a great stater reel. I agree with the posts above about the Revo S, the only problem with it, is that it doesn't have the external control switch. the S casts great, very smooth and not that heavy. I don't own Shimano baitcasters, but I was playing around with the Citica at LeBaron and it's a great reel for the price $150+.

Mike,

I have gone through a lot of reels in the last ten years with lots of fishing and abuse. Please trust me when I say spend at least $200 on a bait caster. The cheap ones ($100) or less are made of cheap parts and cannot withstand the punishment a diehard like yourself can dish out. I know that the price is inviting but I think that you should save up you Christmas and birthday $ and buy a good Shimano (Great warranty too ). A Corado E7 that won best in show in show at ICAST can be bought brand new for $200.......If you know who to talk to. These reels will last you at least 10 years, guarenteed

Mike, i keep this link on my favorites and I use it quite often, definately they got Revo reviews, not to sure on your Browning

http://www.tackletour.com/menureels.html

Note.. There is a review of the accurist if you go to the bottom of the page to archives, Dated 3/14/05

Edited by holdfast

Mike,

I have gone through a lot of reels in the last ten years with lots of fishing and abuse. Please trust me when I say spend at least $200 on a bait caster. The cheap ones ($100) or less are made of cheap parts and cannot withstand the punishment a diehard like yourself can dish out. I know that the price is inviting but I think that you should save up you Christmas and birthday $ and buy a good Shimano (Great warranty too ). A Corado E7 that won best in show in show at ICAST can be bought brand new for $200.......If you know who to talk to. These reels will last you at least 10 years, guarenteed

I agree. I bought that mega force and gave it 500+ casts, did some flipping...casted both heavy and light baits and it had at least 15h's work on it and it started to make a 3 patteren thump within the reel. Brought it back and got another rod.

So I have 2 rods needing reels, although I do have all winter to get the reels. I would love to have my hands on a E7. :worthy: But what about those Citica's. Lot's of people on here seem to like them. Again, problem being I need 2 reels not 1.

I don't know...maybe I'll just sit on my wallet for awhile and wait for the right deal on a pricey reel like you said.

I agree. I bought that mega force and gave it 500+ casts, did some flipping...casted both heavy and light baits and it had at least 15h's work on it and it started to make a 3 patteren thump within the reel. Brought it back and got another rod.

So I have 2 rods needing reels, although I do have all winter to get the reels. I would love to have my hands on a E7. :worthy: But what about those Citica's. Lot's of people on here seem to like them. Again, problem being I need 2 reels not 1.

I don't know...maybe I'll just sit on my wallet for awhile and wait for the right deal on a pricey reel like you said.

Hey, I told you to keep the receipt for that crappy Diawa reel !! Now save a bit of money and buy the Curado over the winter. You wont regret it ! In the new year, ask the guys at the fishing store if they have any left over, last year models and haggle a deal with them.

mike. as was mentioned it is discountinued bps had them on sale a while back for $60, i do have one and it works ok if you need a reel with a flippen switch ( i use it bottom bouncing ) my issues with the reel are cosmetic. the body of the reel chips way to easy a one year old reel has more boat rash on it then a pair of 8 year old chronarchs (which have a zillion miles on them)

performance wise it works just fine for an inexpensive reel my only complaint is i feel the handle is to small when cranking.

I will put a big + on saving your money for a better baitcaster, there isn't much better than an e7 curado in the $200 range its comfy well made and most importantly fishes like a dream and takes more abuse than you can throw at it! I also have a abu revo sx thats in that price range 11 bearing reel little heavier than the curado so far i like it really fast spool but have only put one summer on it so far fit and finish is great durability maybe next year I'll get an idea, but so far at least 100 bass still good

fishing world was selling these quantums for 100 no tax a while ago i picked up two matched them with shimano convergence MH's, really like them. i fish all shimano stradics and sedonas on my spinning rods and as such was partial to the curados, but got the accurist at half the price. money into a baitcaster is great advice but i beleive the accurist is a cheap high end reel, not an expensive low end reel. it has performed well and i would buy them again. interesting as previous post has said the finish is fragile, both of mine are banged up, doesn't effect performance.