Weekend car insurance? NF

Fish4Eyes

I own 2 vehicles, one of which is used to tow the boat on weekends. Is there such thing as weekend car insurance? If so which insurance companies offer it? I have herd of this before but I think it was primarily used for hot rods/collector cars.

I believe you can get cheaper rates for a vehicle you don't drive to work.

To Billm, there is nothing stopping people from getting insurance to get a pink slip and then cancelling the next day. I think thats what you're getting at there. I know lots of people do that with snowmobiles. A little chancy with a road vehicle though.

Edited by Dara

I believe you can get cheaper rates for a vehicle you don't drive to work.

To Billm, there is nothing stopping people from getting insurance to get a pink slip and then cancelling the next day. I think thats what you're getting at there. I know lots of people do that with snowmobiles. A little chancy with a road vehicle though.

Dara, I realize people also do this (Get insurance papers then cancel)

I was referring to getting 'weekend' insurance on your daily driver.. It would obviously come at a lower rate, which would save people some $$$...

I stopped driving to work and my rate went up.

Don't look for common sense in auto insurance it just isn't there.

We could have changed the way we do auto insurance to promote a second more environmentally friendly vehicle instead of bailing out GM and Chrysler. Something like insurance goes to the driver or owner instead of the vehicle.

I stopped driving to work and my rate went up.

Don't look for common sense in auto insurance it just isn't there.

We could have changed the way we do auto insurance to promote a second more environmentally friendly vehicle instead of bailing out GM and Chrysler. Something like insurance goes to the driver or owner instead of the vehicle.

good luk with that..car,truck, snowmobile, atv,boat...the insurance kills and I can only drive one at a time

I read somewhere that shorthly we will be able to pay insurrance (pay for use) All because of an addition to the existing GPS system. You will have a GPS transmitter in teh vehicle and the insurrance will be calculated by use of the vehicles and mileage put on the vehicle. Not sure where I read it , but I think it is thru the CNN website

Here is a story like the one I mentioned above that also talks about Pay-per-use insurance

BRUSSELS – The European Union launched a free satellite navigation network on Thursday that could help pilots, drivers and blind people by fine-tuning the accuracy of the U.S. global positioning system (GPS) to around 2 meters.

The EGNOS system will use three satellites and 34 ground stations to narrow the horizontal accuracy of GPS from around 7 meters previously and improve its vertical accuracy to help pilots during landings.

The "Safety-of-Life" service for aircraft navigation could be in place next year, the EU executive said in a statement.

Farmers could also benefit from improved precision for spraying fertilizers, and new applications could emerge on roads, such as automatic tolling and pay-per-use car insurance.

"It will make all personal navigation applications much more precise, giving birth to new possibilities like guiding aids for blind people," the Commission said.

The system was pioneered by the Commission, the European Space Agency and aviation safety authority Eurocontrol.

It paves the way for the better known Galileo project, a European satellite system which will rival GPS and could be up and running in 2014.

The 4 billion euro ($5.8 billion US) Galileo project, Europe's biggest single space program, has been plagued by delays and squabbling over funding that ended only when the EU agreed to fund it from the public purse.

Edited by wallyboss

I don't drive my truck to work and have that indicated on my insurance, also limited to less than 10,000 km per year. In the 6 1/2 years I haven't driven it for work, I've only put about 30,000 km on it. I don't know how much of a difference it makes on my rate, I still pay almost $1100 a year on a 2001 Dakota, probably almost double what I spend on fuel. According to my broker I have 1st class status, maximum discounts as a driver.

People who drive less are more likely to have an accident = higher rate....KaaaaaChing.

It doesn't mean I don't drive a lot. I have a company provided vehicle now and drive about 5000 km a month. I also have limited personal use of the car and pay for this as a taxable benefit.

I haven't heard of weekend coverage but there are a few companies that offer antique car insurance that is very very cheap, you just can't use the car as a daily driver for work. Anything else is fine.... If your truck is 25 yrs old you could look into that LOL.

Please do tell which company it is if you know. Its 13 years old its antique enough :lol:

Google Silver Wheels insurance and I think you’ll find some of the info you’re looking for.

Or try here

http://www.lant-ins.ca/

There’s a link on that page, to a section called Custom Wheels and here’s a quote from the description of what this company offers.

• Plan is available for Modified, Street Rod & Custom vehicles used for hobby and/or collector car activities, and not used for regular transportation, which are 15 years old or older

Dan.