Steelhead Worms...Which Ones?

mpagnan

Good afternoon all,

This is what I love about being at home, sick...I get to ask questions all day and learn a ton. I need to do some shopping and I was wondering if you all can pass some suggestions my way as to what worms I should purchase for the fall season? I usually do my shopping at Canadian Tire but I don't mind going the distance if it's worth it.

Thanks again and happy hunting,

MJP

Good afternoon all,

This is what I love about being at home, sick...I get to ask questions all day and learn a ton. I need to do some shopping and I was wondering if you all can pass some suggestions my way as to what worms I should purchase for the fall season? I usually do my shopping at Canadian Tire but I don't mind going the distance if it's worth it.

Thanks again and happy hunting,

MJP

I'd definitely make the trip out to Angling Outfitters in Woodstock.

I went on the weekend and I'm glad I did. It's a huge store with about everything you could imagine. And the staff are very friendly.

The one guy taught me how to use a baitcaster and threw in a bunch of freebies for buying a rod and a reel :)

I also went into Fishing World in hamilton (On Barton I think it is..) They have a big selection, although my girlfriend was in the car waiting so I couldnt look around too much :)

I’ve had success using the little Berkley trout worms. I’ve used the standard 3 inch worms in pink, white, red, chartreuse, cheese and natural – I’ve caught on all colours except the natural brown. I also bought 4 inch Berkley pink worms from LeBarons years ago and caught shed-loads of fish on those – They are quite a bit thicker in diameter than the 3 inch ones. I haven’t seen the 4 inch ones in stores for a while. I’ve used the soft plastic worms designed for the bass anglers (6-8 inches) and caught a few fish on them as well. So far the biggest plastic worm I’ve been able to land steelhead on was an 8 inch pink worm with the hook and leader threaded through via a baiting needle. Haven’t tried any of the gulp worms but might give it a go next season.

In spring time and throughout the fall, I rarely (if ever) leave home without cobra sized nightcrawlers which I pick from my lawn at night. The live red worms also rock too when the water is super clear. In general, steelhead love worms of all types.

Edited by MJL

Ive not done well on them but the Berkley Powerbait troutworms (3") seem to be all the rage since this whole pink worm craze started. I just dont have the confidence in them that is needed to do well...........its all in your head lol

Those gulp worms are FOUL lol, but i have poked a few on them.

Im a marabou or bunny jig guy through and through these days as thats my confidence bait, unless im fishing frogwater

Hi go to this website, they are local in toronto and they charge 8 for shipping no matter what you order and you need a paypal acct, they have everything steelhead there. www.centerpinangling.com. They ship within 24 hrs and they are amazing to their customers.

happy shopping

If everyone else is using roe around me and not getting bites, I throw in the pinkies. The 3 inchers are good for the eastern tribs and the 4 inchers are good for the larger systems like the niagara. They sell the 4 inch ones at Al Flaherty and Fishing depot. Besides threading them on a hook, you can simply fish them on a jig head. Some times bows prefer a horizontal presentation.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I've found some leftover yarn in yellow, orange, red, and purple and I've been making yarn flys. How should I attach them to the hook (I've tied the yarn seperately with a single clinch knot)?

I'd use a needle and thread your tippet material through the knot then tie on your hook much like you would fish a corkie. We used to run little pompoms from a craft using the needle approach.

FWIW I simply tie an egg loop style knot, this one

http://www.steelheader.net/knots/whip_finish.htm

Place about an inch of yarn under the line between the knot and the eye of the hook, slide the knot up to the eye and draw tight till the yarn flares and trim to shape. You can get creative with colours, a bit of hot pink added to chartreuse was killer on the Niagara. Also with a bit of dexterity you can change colours without retying the knot.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I've found some leftover yarn in yellow, orange, red, and purple and I've been making yarn flys. How should I attach them to the hook (I've tied the yarn seperately with a single clinch knot)?

i just slide a very small piece onto a #10 bait hook,,,, then thread the worm on after it....

the yarn does two things....

acts as a colour attractor

makes it harder for the fish to let go due to their small teeth getting caught in the yarn ;)

bottom line...

KEEP IT SIMPLE brother...

Edited by splashhopper