So I got my son waders

Jeff Wiles

I picked up my little guy 7 waders and a 9' rod and he dying to use them I have fished NY state for the past 5 years. I would like to take him to Bronty or the credit. I would like to drive 2hrs or less. Can any one point us to some places we can fish? If any one wants to fish NY shoot me a pm and I will let you know when we go over. I cant wait till his first fish on the pin. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Jeff :Gonefishing:

Well I looked. I don't fish NY, nor Bronte, Nor Credit, I actually have no clue where they are. I do not fish in waders, but I do hunt in them and Saturday is opening day for waterfowl, hense the reason I looked. I also do not fly fish, my only rod over eight feet is my trolling stick.

Sorry I cannot help.

Congrats on getting your son waders, good job on getting him out.

Hi Jeff, I can not give you any info on the rivers but what I can do is give you a tip on how I started my son with wadeing.

Get a strong rope, tie one end around your son, and the other around you leave the rods in the car for the first little while and get the guy use to wading.

I did this with my son and i gave him his intro by asking him on which way he wanted to cross and held tight as he picked the shortest route and then plulled him back when he realised that that was not the right choice, after that we picked a more wadeble strech, he later thanked me and we did this for 2 or 3 times so he learned how to wade first as safety in wading is crutial.

After 3 years of wadeing he has yet to go for a swim, i know that the time will come but he has a bettter understanding of what the river can and will do.

Just my 2 cents.

FLEX

Not trying to be smart but Bronte or the credit is the last place I'd expose my son to stream fishing to at this time of year. The crowd the salmon run attracts on the first weekends is less than impressive and that's not something I want to experience again. I gave up stream "fall" fishing for salmon a while back casue I couldn't stand the amount of snaggers out there

My honest suggestion would be to head up into some head waters areas and drift for some smaller trout. Try sections of the grand around kitchener or speed river through guelph. Check your regs for areas that allow bait. There's some great smallmouth fishing to be had there.

I pulled into the parking lot at Petro last weekend and the few feet of river I walked it was a zoo with guys. You couldn't pay me enough to fish these areas for the next month or so. Bring on the snow!!!

Jeff when my son was his age i used to take him to the mouth of Port Albert on Lake Huron ...its a safe beach like atmosphere that does hold fish and relives you of any hasards that may happen in faster water ...i suspect if he is anything like my guy was at that age ...he will fish for a while and then play in the sand...where you can keep an eye on him and still fish in productive water

hope it helps and good luck to the two of you

pardon the spelling ...too lazy to correct it right now

Edited by Twocoda