Camping Food

Jonny

There was a time when you could buy canned bacon. It was great for camping because it didn't require refrigeration. I used to buy it at K-Mart and it came from Europe (Poland, maybe?)

Has anyone seen canned bacon around lately?

The stuff I'm talking about was raw salted bacon, in strips rolled to fit the can. Each can would hold about 1/2 to 3/4 lb., I would guess. It was best to rinse it before throwing it into the pan.

In your ration packs the bacon would have been pre-cooked?

I suppose it would do well on a canned cheeseburger?

canned_cheeseburger_1.jpg

Seriously though, never seen any of this canned bacon. Then again it would probably frighten me as much as a canned cheeseburger. Or those ABC Vietnam era rations the Forces had to deal with.

The stuff I'm talking about was raw salted bacon, in strips rolled to fit the can. Each can would hold about 1/2 to 3/4 lb., I would guess. It was best to rinse it before throwing it into the pan.

In your ration packs the bacon would have been pre-cooked?

Don't know if it was precooked or not, we cooked the cans over the primus stoves . We swallowed it down as fast as possible to avoid the taste. Besides, bacon, having been cured doesn't need to be cooked.

For bush camping we always preferred to pack slabs of dry cured, smoked bacon or salt pork.

Edited by bigugli

Besides, bacon, having been cured doesn't need to be cooked.For bush camping we always preferred to pack slabs of dry cured, smoked bacon or salt pork.

Probably the best way to go. But the canned bacon I used to be able to get was all sliced. Just poured off the bit of liquid that was in the can and gave the bacon a quick rinse of water and it was good to go. It was not pre-cooked or smoked and cooked up just like regular bacon, and tasted like regular bacon, except for being slightly saltier.

Here's something you might want to look at Jocko!

I got a kick out of the AV club review. :)

If you're at home, there's really no reason to use canned bacon when you can keep the regular stuff in the fridge. Maybe that's why the canned bacon I was buying disappeared. It was handy for camping but probably little else.

The "reviewers" seemed to forget, in judging appearance, that regular bacon is no real treat to handle and cook from raw either!

Prize for the Best Comment goes to:

—"It looks terrible—disturbingly precise and exact, like a child's plastic toy version of bacon, or like fruit roll-ups with bacon patterns printed on it. Unheated, it has almost no flavor. It's like cling-wrap with a little smoke scent on it."

:P

Edited by Jocko

... ever heard of Ham and eggs???

... I'm a ham'n egger from further back than I care to remember!!!

there's a thing called salt cured cowntry ham, never spoils and is excellent with any kind of eggs and bisquits (do y'all know what a bisquit is???)

It could easily be the death of me if my willpower was weaker!!! :P

Edited by GCD

haven't seen that ever! but i could definately appreciate that if it were still around! except forget breakfast! there's nothing quite like a full day of fishing and frying up a pack of bacon after mmmm i like it crispy! damn now i want some bacon..... thanks alot!

haven't seen that ever! but i could definately appreciate that if it were still around! except forget breakfast! there's nothing quite like a full day of fishing and frying up a pack of bacon after mmmm i like it crispy! damn now i want some bacon..... thanks alot!

Go ahead and take some Meth, heroin, and Alcohol with that bacon bubba... they're all the same!!! :rolleyes:

I remember as a kid having canned bacon when we went camping.They even had canned whole chickens.All I remember of it is that it was covered in a jelly .But that was over 40 year's ago.I will have to ask my Mother if she remember's the brand name on the can.

Dan

Edited by Percher

... ever heard of Ham and eggs???

... I'm a ham'n egger from further back than I care to remember!!!

there's a thing called salt cured cowntry ham, never spoils and is excellent with any kind of eggs and bisquits (do y'all know what a bisquit is???)

Yeah, we'll have ham and eggs too for a breakfast, at home. Pork breakfast sausages and eggs too, on occasion.

Bisquits? (Is that how you spell it?). No, we always have toast with eggs.

Maybe you mean the kind that's used for biscuits and gravy? We had that at a Best Western in Billings Montana a couple of years ago as part of their complimentary breakfast. Everything was familar to us except that. The old fella who did the breakfast buffet was proud of his biscuits and gravy so we tried some. Not bad, but gravy was an unusual thing to have at 7 AM. It was kind of a neutral colour and didn't seem to be a meat gravy.

Something we have pretty regularly when camping is French toast, to use up some of the "aged" bread. That's also good with a side of breakfast meat.

Yeah, we'll have ham and eggs too for a breakfast, at home. Pork breakfast sausages and eggs too, on occasion.

Bisquits? (Is that how you spell it?). No, we always have toast with eggs.

Maybe you mean the kind that's used for biscuits and gravy? We had that at a Best Western in Billings Montana a couple of years ago as part of their complimentary breakfast. Everything was familar to us except that. The old fella who did the breakfast buffet was proud of his biscuits and gravy so we tried some. Not bad, but gravy was an unusual thing to have at 7 AM. It was kind of a neutral colour and didn't seem to be a meat gravy.

Something we have pretty regularly when camping is French toast, to use up some of the "aged" bread. That's also good with a side of breakfast meat.

Toast is soooo 18th century!!!... the bisquits and white sausage gravy will make you a man!!!... be advised not to let your wife eat it unless you're into that kinda thing eh!

Down in the "Deep South" the gravy will be a ground Sausage gravy with a white sauce.. plenty of meat and gravy!!!... please don't judge us by the near north yankee offerings!!! :rolleyes:

Toast is soooo 18th century!!!...

Never heard it called that! :D

There are Chinese restaurants in Northern Ontario (maybe that should be were, I don't know if they do it any more) where you would get an order of toast automatically included with your meal. I always thought that was strange.

But toast for breakfast? You can't have a proper breakfast without toast! :P

If I ever have a chance to try "Deep South" biscuits and gravy, I'll try that too. But I'll treat it like wine - sample it first and see if I approve of it to serve to my lady. :lol:

I remember canned bacon. It was "back bacon" and it came from Denmark. It was high quality bacon. I was just a teenager at the time and wondered why didn't a Canadian company offer canned bacon. Canadian bacon is about the best in the world....anyway, it was the best at that time because it was leaner than bacon from anywhere else.

Down in the "Deep South" the gravy will be a ground Sausage gravy with a white sauce.. plenty of meat and gravy!!!... please don't judge us by the near north yankee offerings!!! :rolleyes:

Biscuits are good. As for the gravy.......... Reminds me of some of the slop they used to pour all over the food when I was at Cornwallis :P

Edited by bigugli