Hydrofoil Question

danbouck

I need a little help getting on plane with a lot of weight in the boat. I was thinking about getting a hydrofoil but I'm pretty sure that it will void my warranty, is that true? I've got a 08 merc 50 4 stroke.

I don't want to get one of the clip on ones due to all the bad reviews. Does anyone have good experience with them?

Dan

Dan I've got a hydrofoil in my garage, you're welcome to have it.

They work "okay".

I would HIGHLY recommend you install trim tabs though. I put them on my boat last month and the improvement in performance is mind blowing.

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX.htm

Thanks Solo, I read your review on them and the only concern I have is drilling holes in my hull :o I would probably have tears in my eyes while drilling!

Guest skeeter99
I need a little help getting on plane with a lot of weight in the boat. I was thinking about getting a hydrofoil but I'm pretty sure that it will void my warranty, is that true? I've got a 08 merc 50 4 stroke.

I don't want to get one of the clip on ones due to all the bad reviews. Does anyone have good experience with them?

Dan

1. you could get a lower pitched prop that really would solve your problem

2. shift weight or people closer to front for take off, my bubby fills his livewell up (since it is in the front part of the boat) to get on plane quicker

3. make sure when taking off you are fully trimmed down

4. get a bigger HP engine (that what I did) lol!!!

5. trim tabs work, but I would suggest getting the hydraulic tyoe so they can be adjusted for load/weight not the stationary ones

5. forget the hydrofoil idea, they really dont work that well and look silly when your boat is out of the water

Edited by skeeter99

Thanks Solo, I read your review on them and the only concern I have is drilling holes in my hull :o I would probably have tears in my eyes while drilling!

Well to be precise it's not your hull your drilling through, it's the transom. No big deal really.

You'd have to check on the website for size, they've got a chart.

If you want to be sure call them and talk to them directly, I found them to be very helpful.

Trust me on this bud I've used trolling plates, hydrofoils and now these tabs. Nothing compares.

Well to be precise it's not your hull your drilling through, it's the transom. No big deal really.

You'd have to check on the website for size, they've got a chart.

If you want to be sure call them and talk to them directly, I found them to be very helpful.

Trust me on this bud I've used trolling plates, hydrofoils and now these tabs. Nothing compares.

Well I'm trusting you and ordering them tomorrow, thanks for the help!

I've got a Stingray hydrofoil. I've run my boat both with and without (16' Crestliner w. 65 HP) and it makes a negligible difference - about 2 kph, measured with a GPS.

My outboard mechanic told me it wouldn't make much difference and it didn't. I wouldn't buy one if I had it to do over.

The one I have works great gets up in half the time and increased my top speed by a few mph that being said my boats a 14 foot tinny with a 25HP so not sure it would help you all that much I would look into maxing out the boats HP rating if that's a option my buddy has the same size boat with a 75HP 4 stroke and has the same complaints don't know what yours is rated for but it should be 100 or so I would think she will get up and go with that pushing it.

I have an old Grew with a 140 HP I/O that was sluggish out of the hole when it was loaded. I put a foil on that and the difference was almost scary. Look silly out of the water? Not to me, I was looking for performance, not aesthetics. To each his own, I guess.... Hydraulic tabs make a big difference as well, I had them on my cruiser. They're also great for levelling the ride if you get too much weight on one side.

Foils depend on what you put them on. Tri hulls and underpowered boat benefit most and overpowered boats the least. But they put a lot of stress on places that aren't made for it, if the manufacturer wanted to put a foil on the motor they would have sort of thing.

The best one I've used was made by spar and was aluminum.

Well heres my 2 cents I have over the years tried many different foils and variations and this year found the magic bullet i have tried trim tabs in the past some boats good some boats bad this foil is absolutely steller http://www.sesport.com/5_32.asp check it out you wont be disapointed In fact I was so impressed I called the guy that makes them in texas long story short I have put 2 on the rescue boat and the transformation is amazing

This is what I wrote in my report after installation

The initial idea was to get the boat out of water a little quicker and

on plane this in turn would cut down on some fuel. Well it certainly

does that and then some. The boat now tracks when at 3000 rpm. What I

mean by this is that in turning and at speed manoeuvrings the boat

handles with a much more positive bite in the water similar to driving

a go cart. This is definitely for the good. At 4000rpm a flat water

tasking speed, the effect is that much greater sort of a sensation of

driving on a rail? I would urge all Captains and A/C's to become

familiar with this and then to pass it on to your crews everybody

should get a feel for how the boat reacts now. A 1/4 turn at 4000rpms

brings the boat around very quickly "Secure/Hanging On. Coming around

180 degrees see's very little power loss through the turn now.

Yes we have trim tabs on the boat they come nowhere close to the performance of these foils

By the way I run a 16.25 foot boat with a 50 4 stroke and it works very well hope this helps

Okay 5 cents

Peter

I recently put the SE Sport 300 on my 90 hp Optimax. My boat is a 16.5 ' Starcraft. The boat has a large fuel tank and livewell at the back of the boat, and I felt I was pushing too much water to get up on plane. I have been very satisfied with the results. I'd do it again. I, like you, had reservations about drilling the holes, but I took my time, marked the placement well, and made sure it was in the right place before I started drilling. The template that comes with it is a joke, tho. And really, if you didn't like it, or were selling your boat and wanted to keep the foil, it would be easy to fill the holes with one of those workable metal compounds that are available. A little paint and you'd never know holes had been drilled. I like the SE Sport model because it isn't as wide as some of the other brands. It can be a confusing decision, tho. Good luck.

Edited by Andy

Thanks for the help Guys!

I ordered the smart tabs that Solo recommended and they should be here in a few days http://www.nauticusinc.com/index.html

With these I don't have to worry about voiding my warranty and I don't have to watch a "clip on" hydrofoil sink to the bottom of the lake.

I'll let you know how they work

Thanks for the help Guys!

I ordered the smart tabs that Solo recommended and they should be here in a few days http://www.nauticusinc.com/index.html

With these I don't have to worry about voiding my warranty and I don't have to watch a "clip on" hydrofoil sink to the bottom of the lake.

I'll let you know how they work

You won't be sorry bud.

They're easy to install, main thing is getting the angle correct. They provide a template but I found the directions for that part to be sketchy.

Drop me a line if you need some help.

Hey Dan, Look into the nes that you dont have to drill holes to mount. I'm thinking on getting one to stop my boat from porposing.

As I understand it porpoising is caused by trim not being set correctly. Perhaps you want to check that first as a cause.