hey Fang, ya made me do it! ;)

GBW

So I sent "Fang" a PM asking to see a few more pic's of the smoker he made (and he sent them) so I decided I would try my hand at making one too. Some time over the next week it will get it's test as I'm off all week... BUT the SAD news is my fishing gear is at the cottage due to a family problem so I can't even get out fishing this week!!!! :(

Here is the pic's I took...

100_2078.jpg

100_2079.jpg

100_2080.jpg

100_2081.jpg

100_2082.jpg

100_2083.jpg

100_2084.jpg

looks great. After 4 batches mine is started to really heave and warp. I'm gonna have to go back to the drawing board and line the inside with some plywood or maybe just start from the ground up again.

I put the hot plate on high and have been getting 220F easy (it does take a while to heat up. One trick I came across was to add 1-3 well burned charcoal lumps. They boost the inside temp 20F for each lump added they saw.

Another thing I've done is the wrap the hot plate with tin foil. Maek sure you don't come in contact with the burner though casue it will arc out. The tin foil takes all the drippings and saves the hot plate from getting messy

Out on Lake Ontario this weekend to get some more rainbows. Nothing like candied trout in the smoker

• 2 weeks later...

So I got to test out the smoker.... <_<

it didn't work as well as planed BUT the food did turn out fine after a MUCH longer time then it should have been. So the new plans are in my head and because this unit was/is 4' tall it's going to get a foot or a foot and a 1/2 cut off it. the max temp I got to was 151* so I need to trim down the unit. The one thing is, I use SOOO much less wood chips this way so I will be testing it again after I make the changes...

Hey GBW try adding 2-3 well burned charcoal blocks. I ran across this on a US smoker site and boy does it ever work to get the temp up inside. On high with just the hotplate I can get 160-170F in about 15 minutes. Add 1 piece of charcoal it goes to 190. with 3 pieces of charcoal I get 215-230. In my pan I push the smoking chips to one side and leave the charcoal on the other so the chips don't burn off too fast

Just did another batch of steelhead on the weekend. finger licking good!!!! Took about 3 hours

Watch the meat on the lowest rack too. It cooks alot faster than the top.