Cuban Cigars NF

Jonny

I'd like to pick up some Cuban cigars for an American buddy, but I want to stash them in his tackle box without him knowing. :santa:

I know nothing about Cubans, but I think some of the members here do, so can I ask what brands are good ones? (The only brand I think I recognize is "Monte Cristo".)

COHIBA -- the original Cuban cigar...black and yellow box/wrapper...just make sure if it's going to be stashed in his tackle box for a while, to wad up some damp paper towel or sponge, inside a ziploc bag with the cigars...so they don't dry out. The cigar shop usually has handy little moisteners for that purpose.

Edited by johnnyb

ok hey be very very carefull doing the stashing . as long as he smokes them here he will be ok .If he gets caught taking them over the boarder the fine is 500.00 per cigar no matter how big.

I know this because I was going to take some down to the states for a friend I was going down for the day and had 3 boxes of cigars one box had a guys address on it as I was going gift them to guys that had helped me out (us drop address and website building) I had no ida there was such big fines till they wanted to fine me for the ones I had

they let me take them back to canada and stash them till i returned

ok hey be very very carefull doing the stashing . as long as he smokes them here he will be ok .If he gets caught taking them over the boarder the fine is 500.00 per cigar no matter how big.

Probably better that you suprise him in person and then remove the labels etc. and put them into a Dominican box or something else....

Burt :)

Most of the brands that you look at are comparative to the ones here in the USA but carry a Cuba origin. I think that it is more the thought than the actual label you get him that will make the difference. The Cuba cigar being better was a fact for awhile but after the seeds got out and the rollers were free to move about the quality of alot of the cigars made in Honduras and other top growing places are just as good if not better. The approach you might take is find out what ring size and style he likes and get a few rather than chose them for their brand name or place of origin. A good start if you want to suprise him is a 6 1/2" X 50 torpedo or a 5" X 42 macanudo give or take an inch or 5 on the ring size. They are not so big that they cant be clamped in your mouth while fishing so you don't have to set them down somewhere between puffs. The truth as I feel it is the best cigar I have ever had was one a friend went out of their way to get me.

Art

COHIBA -- the original Cuban cigar...

Cohiba's aren't the original, but at one time they were the most prized. Originally they were the personal blend of Castro and were given away as favoured gifts, not available for general sale.

The absolute bestest stogie on the face of the planet (according to an unofficial panel of one) is a Hoyo de Monterrey double corona. But retail they'll run you $50 a stick. Really it depends on the tastes of whomever you're buying it for, Macanudo's & Hoyo's will be milder, Romeo's will be spicy, Cohiba's are somewhere in between.

As a flyer there's a guy in Toronto that imports Cuban leaf and rolls pretty consistent and tasty stogies. You can even get the bands personalized.

http://www.correnticigars.com/

Back when I smoked cigars regularly, my neighbour introduced me to Correnti. Go to his shop off King St., and you won't be able to tell you're not in Cuba. He rolls the some of the best cigars I've ever smoked, for a lot less than Cohibas. I love going to that place..... :P

Canadianboy, johnnyb, skinny, Randy, Burtess, Art, CLofchik, thanks for the replies.

I know a lot more about what to get, and how to be careful, than I did before. There's nothing like getting the perspective of aficionado's. :)

Cohiba's aren't the original, but at one time they were the most prized. Originally they were the personal blend of Castro and were given away as favoured gifts, not available for general sale.

The absolute bestest stogie on the face of the planet (according to an unofficial panel of one) is a Hoyo de Monterrey double corona. But retail they'll run you $50 a stick. Really it depends on the tastes of whomever you're buying it for, Macanudo's & Hoyo's will be milder, Romeo's will be spicy, Cohiba's are somewhere in between.

As a flyer there's a guy in Toronto that imports Cuban leaf and rolls pretty consistent and tasty stogies. You can even get the bands personalized.

http://www.correnticigars.com/

:worthy::lol:

Montecristo, cohiba, Trinidad (awesome), Punch, Partagas all similar and good depending on the "model" you pick.

any robusto size is great, not to long of a smoke but good full flavors with a nice ring size no matter the brand.

in 2004 Hoyo de Monterey released a limited edition torpedo. These little things was like smoking smooth creamy butter, simply amazing!

i saw a box of these in a kingston cigar shop last year, not far from the water.. just saying if you see a hoyo de monterey limited from 2004. buy it!

romeo y julieta not a bad price and it's all my brothr smokes and hes big into cigars i think they are around 10 bucks a cigar

My brother just got back from Cuba, and that's what he bought me as a gift :P

Looks and smells great. I'll find out how it tastes tonight!

You have to be careful when picking out Cubans....

for Romeo Y Julietta you may be grabbing the Dominican brand rather than the Cuban...same thing with Cohiba. Your best bet is to go to a tobacconist (not a corner store with a humidor) because they would have the best advise and quality cigars.

Be aware that there are a lot of fake cigars out there...no necessarily banana leaf like you see in cuba or the DR, but with black market leaf stolen from factories....