fishing for wallies!

dizzidevil

I use a flouro leader for just about everything other than big pike, which I use a steel leader for. I like to use a good quality barrel swivel to join the two foot leader of flouro to my braid, not a knot. I find its stonger (or at least as strong) and it really helps minimize line twist. I like to use flouro at about 150% of my braid strength. For example, if I'm using 8 lb Firewire I like 12 lb Seaguar.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Fishnwire

I use a flouro leader for just about everything other than big pike, which I use a steel leader for. I like to use a good quality barrel swivel to join the two foot leader of flouro to my braid, not a knot. I find its stonger (or at least as strong) and it really helps minimize line twist. I like to use flouro at about 150% of my braid strength. For example, if I'm using 8 lb Firewire I like 12 lb Seaguar.

Hope that helps.

I'm going to start using a swivel as well. I've broke a few knots this year.

I use a 15lb braid with a 10-20lb Flouro leader for fishing walleye and small pike. When I've been lazy and just went braid I've had at least 4 bite-offs while fishing this year by an undetermined underwater critter :lol:

Why do you folks prefer mono for walleye?

Edited by scugog

Guest gbfisher

I use a mono leader only for a bit of give. Tried floro but had way to many break offs. :rolleyes: I should say...I didn't try it but a few onboard my boat have and quickly changed back.

Edited by gbfisher

I hate fluorcarbon. I've tried it and hate it. Look at all the abrasion and strength tests and you will see that fluorocarbon is junk. There are even test to see if it's less visible than mono and it even fails at that.

I use mono when jigging for walleye. For shallow water jigging and small jigs, I use 4 to 6 lb mono. For deep water jigging (over 30 feet), I use 4 and 6 lb Fireline.

When fishing for pike, I use 20 to 40 lb braid....usually Mason Tiger Braid or Tuff Line (not the Tuff Line XP or the Tuff Line Plus but the stuff that is hard to find.....just Tuff Line). I make my own wire leaders of extra fine 49 to 54 strand braided steel wire that I buy from a buddy in Europe. It's very expensive but is flexible enough to tie knots in it and the 12 lb stuff is finer than 4 lb mono. I often use it when trolling for walleyes because it prevents losing an expensive lure due to a pike attack.

I like to use a good quality barrel swivel to join the two foot leader of flouro to my braid, not a knot. I find its stonger (or at least as strong) and it really helps minimize line twist. I like to use flouro at about 150% of my braid strength. For example, if I'm using 8 lb Firewire I like 12 lb Seaguar.

Hope that helps.

This is just about my set up exactly (I didn't calculate it like that. it just ended up that way). I maight actually have 6lb Fireline and 10 lb Seaguar Flouro. on my walleye rods (med lite/fast tip, 6'-6" w/1500 size reel).

Jim

i use the same line for everything except for ice fishing and whitefish fishing... which is 12lb berkly vanish, it doesnt have the greatest knot strength for certain knots but i just reverted back to tying random knots with that line and have never had a break off yet, just a few missed hits. this line performed extremely well walleye/pike fishing yesterday. however its "multi-polymer technology" does "abraid" just like normal mono but still keeps its strength very well.

JP

I would just like to point out a few things about the 3 lines mentioned. They all have a place and time to use them. Examples....

Fireline

jigging walleyes out of weeds

light biting walleyes when jigging

deep water trolling (cranks) gets the bait deeper

casting cranks into weedy area

Mono

aggressive jig bite

jigging rocky areas

trolling spinners either on bottom bouncers or split shot rigs

flatlining cranks in the top of the water column (keeps the bait up)

Fluoro

Leader material ( I use it on most rigs)

super gin clear lakes

So to sum it up...I use fireline in and around weeds and light biters.....mono near rocks and with aggresive bites... And finally fluoro usually only as a leader or in super super clear lakes...

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

You should all do some internet searching for topics like "abrasion tests", "strength tests", "elongation tests", "knot test for different fishing lines", "visibility tests" etc.

Do not accept any tests done by the manufacturers or anyone associated with their products.....they are very biased. There are independant test results on the internet.

You are all going to be very very surprised. And then quite angry by the fact that the good stuff is hard to get. However, Europeans and Asians have access to the good stuff.

You will also find out that there are only a couple of companies that make monofilament and even fewer companies who make "dyneema" or "spectra" which are the same thing.

You will even find out that there are 3 types of Tuff Line. The best one is the hardest to get.

You will also find out that braided line also comes in 18 lb and 35 lb and premium mono is available in 1 lb and 3 lb and 5 lb test.

You are all going to be very very surprised. And then quite angry by the fact that the good stuff is hard to get. However, Europeans and Asians have access to the good stuff.

thats great for the europeans....I guess we will have to settle with the north american garbage.....lol

TDunn

Edit: By the way I'm just buggin dabluz

Edited by TDunn

Yeah....I know that it was just a bit of elbowing that you were doing. I'm sure that you have seen the beautiful reels and lures that are for the European et Japanese market.

This stuff does eventually trickle into the N.American market. I think it's mainly due to the fact that the retailers are at the mercy of distributors. The distributors are always at least 1 year behind in trends and of course they do stick to what has been successful in the past. It's a question of inventory versus cost of acquisition multiplied by sales. The retailers have the choice of either not stocking a product or having to invest heavily in order to be able to order certain products. All distributors demand a minimum order. If you want to stock Rapalas or certain fishing lines.....you have to invest a lot. If you want to order expensive premium lines from overseas you have to pay a lot for stuff that only a few will want.