Whirlpool Carping

MJL

This past Friday was my mom’s birthday. For her birthday present she wanted nothing more than to go over to Buffalo, NY to do some shopping (Anyone who knows my mom knows she’s going over for some new shoes and CorningWare). Sunday was the day she wanted to go so...

Like usual, my family drops me off at the Niagara whirlpool parking lot and goes over the border to do their thing at around 9am (they usually pick me up around 5-6pm)

I walked down the path with around 40lbs worth of gear, food, water and bait strapped to my back and made my way down to the water. I opted to leave my rod pod at home and took my tripod adaptor + 3 banksticks with me instead. The slack-water areas I like to fish were already occupied by anglers fishing for salmon and bass. From what I could tell, it was slow going for them with very few fish to show for their efforts (only sheepshead and 1 channel cat were caught with worms). I chose to try my luck in a swim with some fairly fast current and set-up my gear.

View of the swim

P1010585a.jpg

The aero-car that travels across the whirlpool.

P1010588.jpg

My set-up

P1010586.jpg

The baits I brought with me were maize, boilies, jumbo corn, flavoured chick peas, a few packs of rubber corn and a bucket of stiff method mix. The method mix I made was a mixture of stuff I had around the house: Stale white & whole grain bread run through a food processor, breadcrumbs, molasses, maple syrup, a handful of maize and a small opened can of sweet corn that I found in my fridge which turned almost into a gluey, jelly-like mush but smelled great. Mixed together, dampened with water and formed into balls, it could certainly handle being tossed into some serious current without breaking apart till it reached bottom.

I did a few rough calculations in my head and figured how far upstream I needed to be to bait up my swim and how fast maize, boilies and balls of method mix would fall to the bottom. I baited up the swim with maize and balls of method mix and waited an hour till I got my first run. I lost the fish but a few minutes later I finally managed to bank my first Niagara carp of the year.

P1010581a.jpg

The fishing itself was a little challenging. There was an ever present current flowing through my swim which made baiting up and holding bottom a little tricky – 5oz barely held bottom and leads 2.5 through to 4oz bounced along bottom and got hung up in the rocks downstream (or upstream depending on which way the current direction switched to). I had issues with a few bits of terminal tackle that kept on breaking (i.e. lead clips – The things I attach my lead sinker to the line with). In the end, here’s the rig I was using for my fast-water carping for the day.

From left to right: Size 6 carp hook, braided hair rig material, swivel, "broken" lead clip + tail rubber, 5oz lead sinker (these ones were designed for sea fishing), 15 inch piece of rig tubing (to prevent tangling on the cast)

P1010592.jpg

From 12pm to 4:30pm the action was almost non-stop. I managed to land 16 fish and lost 8. I was in “tournament mode” and was concentrating so much on catching fish I took far less pictures than I would’ve liked. Fish ranged in size from 10lbs to 18/19lbs and many would take within seconds of the rig hitting bottom. A couple of times I saw my tripod tilt over but managed to catch it in time before it toppled over – The takes couldn’t have been more violent! I actually saw one guy’s rod get pulled into the water TWICE yesterday (he got it back both times).

This one was one of the bigger fish of the trip around 18-19lbs

P1010583b.jpg

Overall I had a blast. It was great that I could make it down to the whirlpool again this year (I only did 1 session so far down there for steelhead earlier this spring). A few people who were hiking around the gorge recognized me from OFC and stopped by my swim for a chat – Didn’t get their names but they were quite friendly and interested in carp fishing – Always a pleasure to talk fishing. One of the hikers had his 2 children with him and they had absolutely no reservations on getting carp slime on their hands. Kids are always the best carpers...They don't get repulsed by the slime :lol:

Despite the long walk down (and back up), I absolutely love that place. I always feel at peace staring at the gorgeous scenery and battling some of the hardest pulling carp I've ever come across.

Can’t wait to get back down there again.

Cheers and all smiles :D

16/24?? wow! And you were only there for a "half day".

I actually went back to the overnighter swim during my camping trip with my gf, fished from 7pm-12 and managed 3/8 ... the gf is still not used to fighting them and lost quite a few... we did get a 21 and a 23 though.

Great pictures, love the scenery down there.

Way to go guy!!! Amazing that a river will hold Salmon, bass, carp, probably walleye and lakers and more all at the same time. Ive never fished too much for carp but I sure know a few AMAZING spots for them (from visuals) if your interested, PM me If you want to know the spots.

Way to go guy!!! Amazing that a river will hold Salmon, bass, carp, probably walleye and lakers and more all at the same time. Ive never fished too much for carp but I sure know a few AMAZING spots for them (from visuals) if your interested, PM me If you want to know the spots.

Don't forget musky.