Must release the Frustration

laszlo

While I was out river fishing (wading) with a couple friends this weekend I came upon a group of people that I just knew

would leave a mess behind at the spot they were fishing.

As we were wading up river we heard a group of people (about 8) on an island talking and yelling at the top of their lungs at 8am.

Everyone else we passed would say hello and if they were a group they couldn't be heard from far away. Not these guys. Not even a nod

and some of them were casting towards other fisherman wading with their bait landing just a few feet away.

We continued passed them and fished up river pretty far and I said to my friend "hey, lets check their spot out on our way back, I bet they

left a bunch of garbage behind." Sure enough they littered the hell out of the island and my buddies and I picked it all up. Too bad they were long gone because I would have loved to call the MNR on them.

On a positive note, rarely do I come across a group of fisherman like this but just a reminder to those of you who don't get it (I do realize 99% of us on this board don't need this reminder) take your garbage with you and put it in a garbage can where it belongs.

While I was out river fishing (wading) with a couple friends this weekend I came upon a group of people that I just knew

would leave a mess behind at the spot they were fishing.

As we were wading up river we heard a group of people (about 8) on an island talking and yelling at the top of their lungs at 8am.

Everyone else we passed would say hello and if they were a group they couldn't be heard from far away. Not these guys. Not even a nod

and some of them were casting towards other fisherman wading with their bait landing just a few feet away.

We continued passed them and fished up river pretty far and I said to my friend "hey, lets check their spot out on our way back, I bet they

left a bunch of garbage behind." Sure enough they littered the hell out of the island and my buddies and I picked it all up. Too bad they were long gone because I would have loved to call the MNR on them.

On a positive note, rarely do I come across a group of fisherman like this but just a reminder to those of you who don't get it (I do realize 99% of us on this board don't need this reminder) take your garbage with you and put it in a garbage can where it belongs.

I agree. People are slobs.

If I had a nickle for every worm container I've found at Wilkes...

Good on ya laszlo.

We unfortunately do have an obligation to clean up after our idiotic littering brethren, for it is a reflection on us all. Not only that but it is the right thing to do.

I hope that somehow those who clean up are remembered more than those who littered. I also think it is important that the community sees and knows we do this.

Dan Bouck..a great member here.. is involved in a fantastic clean up project to, in part, clean up after other anglers who have far too few brain cells to do it themselves...you'll find info on Dan's project in his signature image (yes, he did ask us in advance to use an oversized image:) )

About three years ago my son and I went down to the banks of the Grand near the old mill in Caledonia.

We picked up 3 green garbage bags full of garbage from one spot. It was all fishing related garbage (worm containers, minnow bags, cans of corn, etc.) and all withing 50 yards of a garbage can. We also found a seagull all wrapped up in fishing line with lure stuck in him. The local vet had a go at fixing him up but he didn't make it (Will still thinks he was fine).

The whole episode was written up in a letter that I had sent to the local paper, to try to bring peoples attention to the situation.

Good on you Laszlo and I feel your frustration. Remember for every tool on the planet there a about a bajillion good types.

Jim

Regretably, litter seems to be a fact of life. It is not just a fishing problem. In the course of a year I will recycle 1000lbs of aluminum and over 5000 beer empties found in my travels ( provides the gas for some of the fishing trips and buys kids combos that I donate). I will hit a spot tonight and I am guaranteed to find a 6 pack lying around.

I have to limit how much I pick up and take home, else I have to pay garbage penalties. I rarely pick up poly bottles any more because the garbage gang will only pick up the first 2 sacks at the curb. I have to pay to dispose of the rest. The good guy gets penalized

A lot of sites no longer have public waste cans. Locals use them to dump their trash and kids like to set them on fire.

Many municipalities promote recycling at home but do not recycle in their parks. They also wait til the cans are overflowing and trash blowing all over the park before they pick up

I here ya on the garbage we have the same thing here all times of the year this was one am and some wonder why we are loosing spots to fish.

Yes they left there bag full of food on the side of the road I turned it over so that you did not see the place it was from

IMG_4040.jpg

Oh yeah there was not only fast food in there but this also

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

This thread reminds me of a day a few years ago when my bro-in-law and I were fishing off the little dock beside the bridge at Bradford...

I happened to notice that the garbage container had finally been emptied and started to pick up stuff from all around where it was located...

Two Oriental lads joined me and before long we had the area looking all spic and span...

I don't know if they spoke English or not but they acknowledged my gesture of thanks...so it is not necessarily an ethnic thing to litter...

My bro-in-law thought we were nuts...and him being a cop...worried about germs...

I haven't died yet... :lol:

Yup littering disgusts me too. I always bring a Garbage Bag, because, I absolutely cannot sit in front a nice fire looking at cigarette buts, Cans, Bottle caps tissue Paper that is on the ground. Out comes my work gloves and a Garbage bag and Ill do an area sweep. I'm just glad that I fish allot of the out of the way places. But, there is still litter.