FORD F-150 owners!

Gerritt

Last night I blew a tire on the QEW... when I went to change out the tire, I could not get the Spare off to change it... So I called CAA......needless to say I am $300.00 lighter in the pocket after the tow... as CAA could not change the tire

The long handle does not seem to be turning anything...

I understand this is a cable system to drop the spare..

How can I get the spare off doing minimal damage?

G

This may be a stupid answer but have you taken the key (usually in the glove box) to unlock it?

EDIT: I found this on a Ford F150 board

"there should be a 6" long key in the glove boxgrey_loader.gif for the spare tire lock - the lock is above the rear license plate - if you got it used it may not be locked - you will need to asseble the long jack handle rod - place it inthe hole whre the lock is and turn it - it works the winchgrey_loader.gif that holds the tire up - if you are turning and nothing happens try adn wiggle the rod into place - you will feel it when it sets in right"

Buck up the insurance and burn the truck......use the insurance cheque to buy a chevy....lol....Sorry buddy,if you can see the cable under the disc that holds the rim tight,cut the cable with a grinder and disc and keep the spare in the box from now on.....Oh,and be ready for the spare to fall on you when you cut the cable.....lol.....HTH....TC and tight lines......Chuck....P.S....Any word on whats happening from your buddy blacklist???

thanks for the replies guys...

There was no "key" that came with the truck... so I was outta luck... So as Chuck said I cut the cable with grinder..... the spring shot about 30' and the tire dropped... I have the reflexes of a cat LOL

Thanks for all the solid advice!

G

Go to your closest Ford dealer. Ask if there was ever recall for this. There was on the Aerostar vans. The cable assembly was changed at no charge if it was brought into them. They had a habit of rusting because of all the winter road salt we have to live with so that is why they switched them for something better. Even before and after this I kept the cable oiled, grease would no doubt be better. You just reminded me mine is overdue,

Edited by pikehunter

This same thing happend to me a few weeks back...

No spare key..

No way to get my spare tire down..

I took my trusty drill out.. half way through the lock it fell apart..

got my spare down..

Now if anyone wants to steal my tire... be my guest, Its not the best spare you can own..

Edited by Shore_Lunch