Musky fishing

fishingisliving

This has been one of the better fishing seasons in years, yet I have never been so frustrated of not catching fish. It’s ridiculous! The weather does not help; if it’s not raining cats and dogs then it we are treated to gale force winds. Traditional techniques, spots and lures have put little to no fish in the boat this year. Some new tricks early on made for some really good fishing, but now the new tricks have not worked in over a month and the old tricks do not work either.

Start trolling, nothing, go casting, nothing, the wind picks up, oh gee what a surprise! Phone rings:

- Hey you guys seeing any action?

- Nothing you?

- Same here!

At least we aren’t the only ones wasting gas and energy.

The horizon at this point is showing dark clouds, which means this terrible weather is about to get worse. Usually a change in weather like that can make fish come out of hiding and bite one of our baits. We were even in waters where I had little confidence because it was the opposite side of where the wind was blowing, since it was hard to control the boat we fished the opposite side of a nasty reef so we did not get beached up over the rocks should something go wrong.

Rob calmly says: “fish on”

He was so calm that I did not believe him at first. He kept setting the hook which seemed a bit odd and made me question if in fact he was just pulling my leg or if he was stuck on a small log. I was looking at the water when his rod loaded up good, no more convincing needed: “GET the net!”

The wind was howling good, made for a tricky net job, but we stayed clear and as long as we both knew what we had to do, the pieces fell right into place and fishy was in the net. What a head on this one, with a very respectable girth.

After a couple shots, the fish was released.

So more wind and more rain that was the end of the trip. We then reviewed the picture, wow! It is amazing the impact a good picture can have. This is by no means the biggest fish, and by no means the most memorable trip, but the picture is one of the my favourite. A picture is worth a thousand words, a good picture is worth… well… you decide!

robaug2009-01.jpg

Edited by fil