Successful pike outing

johnnyb

So, this past weekend, my cousin Bert and I – Bicephalic, on the board – had the opportunity to do a bit of fishing. We only had Sunday free, so we left at 3:30 am, picked the boat up in Muskoka at 6:00, and trailered it down the road to one of my favourite pike lakes. Bicephalic had never fished this particular lake, so I explained that we’d hit the spots I’ve had success with in the past, and leave everything else alone. Time permitting, we’d fish my lake at the end of the day, where the boat is stored, in hopes of walleye.

Got to the first spot, and after a few casts, me with the trusty Mepps #5 and Bert with his trendy swim bait :D , we noticed a good sized swirl in an area we had just covered. A few casts back over there…nothing. However a few minutes later, Bert gets a light hit, that seems to get heavier and heavier…and is in fact his new PB pike!!!

6452_165488216200_595006200_3873788_6648750_n.jpg

35 inches, and 8.5lbs…what a way to start the day!!!

Things went quiet for a while after that…we caught a few small pike…none of them were hitting extremely hard either. Explored a back lake…but couldn’t cast from shore because of too much cover.

By noon, I was running out of spots to work, and we were out in the open with a pretty stiff wind and lots of mist working us over pretty good. Mepps 5 was a dud, swim bait had been abandoned in favour of a Booyah boogie bait…but the fish were still just nipping at them. Since the boogie bait seemed to be getting the most attention, I switched to a large willow leaf spinner bait, which I figured would produce a nice thumping vibe similar to that of the boogie bait. It picked up another couple small ones, but nothing worth battling the wind for. We got into a channel that we would have skipped over, except that it was somewhat protected from the wind. Bert was rummaging through his tackle bag looking for something different to try, and thought he’d switch the white trailer he had on the boogie to a red and white…just for a splash of different colour. First cast…about a 27 inch pike! :D I had ripped the trailer off of my spinnerbait earlier, so I grabbed one of the red grubs, and within minutes had a pike matching Bert’s :D :D

Over the next hour, we drifted over the same spot 5 times, and pulled out what must have been close to 20 lbs of aggressive, greedy pike…all with our red trailers on green baits...whether it was the colour combo, or feeding time, we didn’t care…the action was hot!

By the end of the day, we had a few nice pike for the chain, but had run out of time to fish for ‘eyes when we came back. Minor detail though, as we were happy enough to end on a high note.

6452_165494121200_595006200_3873849_5361975_n.jpg

beacon_pike.jpg

I also recovered someone’s old tube jig in the belly of one pike…no hook in it though.

pike_and_tube.jpg

Besides that, there was a largemouth bass about the size of the tube in his stomach. Match the hatch, people!

I am getting so sick of looking at your ugly mug in these reports!!! :angry: ... when is the lovely Miss Laker Jesse going to start fishing again???

I thought they outlawed those old clip stringers like that?.. where did you get it?... at an antique store??? :rolleyes:

Congrats on the PB Pike BTW!!! ;):thumbsup_anim:

looks like you kept the pb pike. how white-bucket of you. i hope you enjoyed the great day of fishing - will be fewer of them in the future if you continue your current harvesting habit.

not once have a seen a decent post from you :angry:

Great fishing , nice catch

Congrats

Nice job on catching the pike. Just curious if they actually are good to eat, some say they are as good as walleye.

If you fillet it properly (remove The Y bone) They really are good to eat.. almost like walleye.

Just keep them small...

FishCrisp and a few brewskies and your off..

Nice job on catching the pike. Just curious if they actually are good to eat, some say they are as good as walleye.

Pike is as good as walleye to eat.... if you had a filet of each and cook it, you would not be able to tell the difference.... same texture once cooked.... white flaky meat

Leechman

Pike are excellent table fare Erik!!! :P

I didn't realize how good they were until I attended my first June OFC G2G at Lakair, there's a Pike tourney on Saturday and then they fry up all the medium sized Pike for a feed... most delicious!!! :)

looks like you kept the pb pike. how white-bucket of you. i hope you enjoyed the great day of fishing - will be fewer of them in the future if you continue your current harvesting habit.

Yep - I did.

We released several over the 7 lb range over the course of the day (and a multitude more over the course of our fishing careers so far), and from the healthy fishery we were in - a fish on every 5 minutes, I think it can support it.

Besides - You'll notice I'm holding the fish with a lip gripper. What you can't see on the other side of the fish is the gill damage caused by a deep hooking (which was bad enough that it wouldn't support it's weight with a gill hold)...but you're right - we should have thrown a half dead giant fish back so the turtle population could thrive too.

You not agreeing isn't going to make my barbecued pike steak taste any less delicious.

Thanks to everyone for the positive posts.

Edited by Bicephalic

LOL -- I was right about to post, cousin...you probably said it better than I was going to :D

Nonetheless, Angrypigeon, whether it helps you to know this or not, I've been fishing that lake for 15 years, and have only watched the pike population improve in size and numbers. Flip through my posts, and you'll see that this doesn't reflect my "harvesting habits"...it's actually quite rare that I'll keep a large haul...but this time around, we planned a nice big fish fry, and even though we released many more than we kept, we ended up with a nice haul. You know what? You should come with us sometime...maybe that's your problem...nobody's nice to you... :dunno:

I am getting so sick of looking at your ugly mug in these reports!!! :angry: ... when is the lovely Miss Laker Jesse going to start fishing again???

I thought they outlawed those old clip stringers like that?.. where did you get it?... at an antique store??? :rolleyes:

Congrats on the PB Pike BTW!!! ;):thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Dawg....the LLJ (lovely Laker Jessy) has been shorebound for a while, growing our lovechild...but don't you worry...she'll be back out soon :D And those chains are brand new!! I just picked 'em up at the Wal-Mart in Wetumpka, just off #231!! :P When the fish is destined for the pan, it gets the chain :) When I get a fancy boat like you, I'll hide the chain in my livewell :D