class "C" motor home

Radnine

I kind of have a bit of a dream of having a smallish class "C" (that's the one with the cab-over bunk and built on a van chassis) motor home.

The idea being Will and I could tow the boat up to a lake and fish all day then snooze for the night then fish in the morning, pull the boat out and head home.

Before I look into it too much farther I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Would camping for the night at some boat ramps be allowed?

Do I have a prayer of launching a boat behind one of these?

Does anyone do this sort of thing now?

Where is a good place to look for one of these units?

Thanks!

Jim

Edited by Radnine

If it was for fishing, I would be inclined to have pick-up with a slide in camper over a class C. More versitility but much less cozy. You could pack a dining tent for a little extra lounging room in good weather and make do with the camper in bad weather.

Bruce has the solution for launching the boat with the front hitch.

For MANY years (younger) there was a group of us that all owned full size vans (Fords were the choice) and we had custom made mattresses for them. We would camp at boat launches all over NYS. At night we would take out the coolers, cooking stuff or anything else that was in the way and put it in the boat, cover the boat and bingo we had our DRY hotel on wheels.........we always said it wasn't camping but "resting" in our vehicle, however NOT once did we have a problem with anyone about camping that way. I ALWAYS thought this was the best option because no reservations where ever needed and if the weather went sour we packed up and headed home. Also because you are so mobile you can hit the lakes when the bite is on and keep moving with the bite.

So what I am saying you can do exactly what you want for THOUSANDS of dollars less by buying a full size van.

Bob

I can`t help you much but I would imagine launching would be a pain I like the front hitch idea.

The wife and I were considering a class B much better on gas than a C and you could launch easliy.

We looked at the cost of a B class (expensive) extra insurance, service,storage etc. for the have dozen or so times we would use it per year the cost did not make sense to us.

I like the van idea get some foam and a porta potti and your good to go.

Whats so hard about launching the boat? Am I missing something?

S.

Poor visibility is one issue but the major issue is the overhang. By the time the rear wheels of an RV begin going down the ramp, the front of the boat is still way up in the air and too far into the water. It's a good way to swamp your boat.

I don't trailer a boat, but, I have a class B Roadtrek. For manuverablity and "offsite" camping you can't beat a class B. They are more expensive, but, you can use the RV year round. I drive mine all year and I doubt it if you would use a class C year round. I will preface my comments by saying that I don't have any experience launching a boat, but, I don't see any major problem launching a boat from a class B with a rear hitch set up. There is no rear overhang from a class B anymore than the standard van chassis that they are built on. My advice (if there are only 2 of you in your family) is get a class B.