Directions Advice to LOTW

The Birdfish

Hey All

Heading up to the LOTW from the GTA area and heard a few different opinions on how to get up there?

Mapquest shows HWY #17 all the way, but I was told to take HWY #11 through North Bay??

Looking for advice on the quickest route, we are stooping in Thunderbay for a night??

Thanks

69, to 17, to 144 to Sultan Rd, to 129, to the 101, to the 17..

Will save you over an hour easily...

The Sultan Rd is a logging road owned by Domtar, we used it twice on our trip to Nipigon(there and back). It was in really great shape, averaged a good 80km/h the entire way.

Edited by BillM

I checked a map and it did not show Sultan Rd but I did find the town of Sultan does it run through there???

It's there, but yeah Mapquest doesn't always show it :) You need to really zoom down to see the 667.

When you hit Sultan that's where the paved portion begins.. You'll make a left at the end of the dirt road and continue on to the 129.. Then a right on the 129 which eventually turns into the 101, then through Wawa and eventually you'll hit the 17.

It looks a bit complicated when zoomed all the way down in Mapquest, but there is no way you could ever mistake one of the side roads for the main road.

You'll see what I mean when you take it, it's very well traveled.

Edited by BillM

I would avoid 11 thru North Bay. Take the 400 up to 17 and stay on it the whole way from Sudbury to the Soo, up the Eastern shore of Superior (one of the most beautiful places in the world btw), around Marathon to Tunder Bay and up the rest of the way. No secondary roads to get lost on esp. if you are not familiar with the area. Make sure you follow the signs going thru the Soo, and you'll be fine. There's lots of places to stop along the way and it really is a beautiful drive. I'm going to miss it, my in-laws just sold the cottage on LOTW and have completed their move down to the Niagara Bench. Lots of great memories and tons of great fishing, the last night up there last year, the wife and I caught 30 walleye in less than an hour and a half on a gorgeous night, I guess the lake was saying goodbye to us.

I have heard that about 17 but wondered on how much time it would take for the drive, 24hrs taking 17 or 20 hrs taking 11 around the top!! Not sure if that is corret or not!!!

To bad about the cottage, sounds like a great place with all kinds of memories for ya!!

Thanks for your response!!!!