Summertime lakers

johnnyb

For the folks who like to troll deep for lakers in the summer, maybe you can weigh in on this:

I've been fishing in the Haliburton area and doing okay for lakers early in the year in the 30-40 with medium sized spoons hanging over 60-90 FOW.

Since August, I have been doing the same things...trying deeper for the most part (down to 50), but striking out. Any ideas? Should I try flashier, like a Christmas tree? Bigger spoons? Body baits?

Just wondering what works for others...if you change your tactics as the summer wears on or not.... :dunno:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

my favourite summer laker rig is with a wire bottom bouncer (or 3-way swivel) for walleye fishin, then 3 feet of line back to a rapala. as troutologist has mentioned before on here, having a small touch of orange on the lure late season like this seems to be another ticket to success...not sure if thats just a regional thing... i like the raps because they still do their thing if you're moving very slow (paddling out into the waves then letting them push you back drifting)...my most successful evening of lakers came using this rig in 50-60 fow, and was on a blue/orange husky jerk as i recall...

if you're downrigging then i'm not to sure what kind of suggestions i'd have...more of a canoe warrior myself.

get out on a still day and drop shot those hot weather lazy fish. I will run white tubes and flukes, gulp etc nose hooked on a drop shot rig. Just like winter fishing..watch the bottom move and slowly raise it up. If the fish comes up with it, you will likley get a swat from him. A 7ft or better MH crucial with 15lb braid and a tight drag should get the claws into em at 50 to 100ft.

when running with a partner, two color graphs and an ethernet connection to one transucer, it's full contact rules on the deck to see who's bait the fish is after. A ton of fun for sure! ...safety first!

RR

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Any guess on what 95% of the lakers we got on Nipigon were caught on?

That's to funny.

seems the splash of orange really makes a difference with lakers. as i recall him telling me, troutologist discovered this "soaking" for lakers in lake superior park...i'm pretty sure he caught fish on a blue fox vibrax spinner in orange just laying on the bottom...hehehe...

amazing the things you discover on days when the beer is more important than the fishing eh jay?

We get most of ours on sliders off the riggers this time of year on inland lakes. For whatever reason, they don't like the lure at the ball...........even with long leads. I always run a silver/blue williams wabbler on a slider set at 50-60ft down. The other rigger has a gold/chartreuse wabbler on a slider, set either shallower or deeper..........I'd say 95% of them are on the sliders. Even if I'm marking all my fish at a certain depth, and set the riggers to that depth, I still get them on the slider.........weird.

Its been a little slow lately though. My buddy who does a lot of laker fishing around haliburton has only been getting one or two per trip the last couple weeks.......and he lives there!

Oh, find some bait and work it over real good.

S.

I was deep jigging for Lakers in Simcoe on Saturday and it was also slow. Lots of fish marked and lots of followers but couldn't set any of the 3 hits I did get.

I did however pull up 3 Perch hitting my spoons down in 60-80 feet of water.