Night time top water fishing

splashhopper

Well the fishing has been pretty slow the last 10 days or so around here, so tonight I decided to stay an extra hour at my local spot.

Fishing was still slow tonight.... heck... even the frogs were sleeping..... Must be the mixed up weather tonight...

I was just about to pack it in and told myself " just five more casts" lol

Well I am glad I did make five more casts... and another 25-50 more too as I was walking the edges back to my vehicle...

I stopped at well worn bank where the kids usually fish for panfish and threw my top water frog tight along the cement retaining walls...

On my third or fourth tight cast,,,,, WHAMMO .... right at my feet.... this fattie took my frog...

bignightimebass.jpg

Not the biggest i have caught there,,, but sure as heck was the spookiest I have caught anywhere...

something about being in a pitch black, tree covered, area and getting "attacked" at my feet i guess :P

I just might give this a try again real soon... was fun.. to say the least

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

I wait until it gets dark to go fishing.

why is that Cudz? don't wanna be seen by others and give off your spots? or is it because only the weirdos come out at night? haha

and canuck2fan are you sure your thinking of fishing when you say that or something else? haha

why is that Cudz? don't wanna be seen by others and give off your spots? or is it because only the weirdos come out at night? haha

and canuck2fan are you sure your thinking of fishing when you say that or something else? haha

I guess the song fishing in the dark by the dirts was in the back of my mind LOL.

Just as the sun sets until dark is the best top water action time you can get.... Jitterbugs, Houla Poppers, Zara Spooks, Frogs etc.... are some of the lures to name a few that will yield results!

Nice looking bass! Congrats :clapping:

Leechman

A little of both.

Some of my spots are busy places that people do not fish but are very public places.

Secondly, the fish hit hard at night.

did some more night fishing tonight.... same place...

went 0 for six! :(

and lost TWO of my top water frogs on HUUUUGE hits ! :blink:

The two I lost were massive blasts straight out of the water....

harder than any I have ever had at this place.

Hey Splashy!... still haven't figured out the self timer feature on your camera yet???

... those fish will look much bigger extended at full arms length yanno! :P

Hey Splashy!... still haven't figured out the self timer feature on your camera yet???

... those fish will look much bigger extended at full arms length yanno! :P

GCd: Not sure what you missed in my last posting on this thread... I didn't catch any last night.... ;)

as for the pic on the start of the thread... it was taken on my blackberry...

my camera got wet in the last thunderstorm that i was walking out of....

don't worry about me and my photo skills GCD...I got a good reply in the other section of this board titled Photography discussion. :P

Night fishing has always been a different experience for me. I wrote an article on night fishing for trout in the "Riverwatch" quarterly magazine published by the Anglers of the Au Sable last winter. It's not just the fish catching, but the weird ambience of night fishing.

"weird ambience"..... every little sound is so new to me that my heart takes a pounding :lol:

I am so foscused on "hearing the hiy" that i HEAR EVERYTHING in the pitch black... what a trip B)

Night fishing has always been a different experience for me. I wrote an article on night fishing for trout in the "Riverwatch" quarterly magazine published by the Anglers of the Au Sable last winter. It's not just the fish catching, but the weird ambience of night fishing.

I love it.

I do find that when it is really dark I have a hard time judging distances (that is based on the number of boathouse doors and docks I have hit at full flight.) I once misjudged a cast to shore that it ended up 3/4 the way up a 40ft cedar tree! I managed to pull the lure out but it smelled like cedar the rest of the night.