Drop Shotting - Texas Rigged/Weedless

MSBruno

I've always fished the drop-shot nose-hooking a worm or minnnow, but I just saw an Al Linder video where he ties on a offset worm hook, texas-rigged and drop-shots the worm weightless, texas rigged.

I am also reading up on people wacky rigging worms on a drop shot.

Anyone try either of these? I'm out tomorrow and planning on trying them.

Edited by MSBruno

I just finally read what dropshotting was. I gotta try it.

I would imagine you can put anything on the hook that you want.

The point to me is where its sitting and how you get it there and the feel you have.

I'm thinking a worm for eyes and maybe injecting a bit of air.

I have drop shotted weedless and wacky. Waky is great when you want to fish a senko in deeper water but don't want to wait for it to sink.

KVD wacky rigs a senko on a drop shot and works it really fast and hard. Kind of odd but he swears by it. If he says it works I am going to have to agree with that boy. He knows a thing or two about bass fishing.

Hopefully this doesn't constitute a thread hijack, but doesn't drop shotting kind of limit the ways in which a fish can attack the bait?

The beauty of wacky or Texas rigging a senko is that as it floats down the fish can grab it from anywhere. If you drop shot it, it can't grab it from the bottom or the front no?

I know people are killing fish by drop shotting, but much like rip-jigging, I am having trouble seeing it.

Jim

Edited by Radnine

I know people are killing fish by drop shotting, but much like rip-jigging, I am having trouble seeing it.

How are people killing fish by drop shotting?

I just grabbed the gear and I'm gonna give it a shot! I wanted to know how to kill the fish ;)

How are people killing fish by drop shotting?

I just grabbed the gear and I'm gonna give it a shot! I wanted to know how to kill the fish ;)

I am pretty sure he meant killing as in slaying or catching a lot of fish. You probably knew that though.

Jim, I drop shot lots and all I can say is that it works.

Weightless Senko's etc. are hard to fish in the wind and if you are in water over 8 -10 feet, it takes a long time for the bait to get down to the fish.

Enter the drop-shot, but drop-shotting isn't just a vertical presentation.

You can cast it out and work it back...How you hook the worm will be dictated by how you intend to fish the bait. I my opinion, hooking the worm weedless is only important if you intend to drag the rig along the bottom.

I am pretty sure he meant killing as in slaying or catching a lot of fish. You probably knew that though.

Jim, I drop shot lots and all I can say is that it works.

Sarcasm is tough to read over the internet, but I did add the wink hahah!

But ya.. I'm hoping to get into some bass the new gear!

Hopefully make some reports like yours hahaha! Parry sound September 4th...the anticipation is killing me!

Sarcasm is tough to read over the internet, but I did add the wink hahah!

But ya.. I'm hoping to get into some bass the new gear!

Hopefully make some reports like yours hahaha! Parry sound September 4th...the anticipation is killing me!

I figured it was tongue in cheek but it is always hard to tell on the net.

good luck on the 4th. I hope you kill em

I was having a real tough time finding good sized fish this year and finally found some in relatively deep water(20-25fow). Fishing tubes got a few decent fish, but the only thing that got any number of good fish was a ridiculously slow pattern with a weightless Senko. To maintain any kind of depth, I had to count down to 50 before I knew I was in the depth range necessary. As the drift progressed, I'd have to let out some more line to keep bottom contact and would have to constantly retrieve the bait to pull sandgrass off that had collected over the course of the drift. I'm really thinking that a drop-shot rig would've been a much easier presentation to apply in this situation. "Sigh" guess I need some new tools...

I was having a real tough time finding good sized fish this year and finally found some in relatively deep water(20-25fow). Fishing tubes got a few decent fish, but the only thing that got any number of good fish was a ridiculously slow pattern with a weightless Senko. To maintain any kind of depth, I had to count down to 50 before I knew I was in the depth range necessary. As the drift progressed, I'd have to let out some more line to keep bottom contact and would have to constantly retrieve the bait to pull sandgrass off that had collected over the course of the drift. I'm really thinking that a drop-shot rig would've been a much easier presentation to apply in this situation. "Sigh" guess I need some new tools...

Wow! You are a more patient man than I am :) The scenario you are describing literally begs for dropshotting, or carolina rigging. The nice thing about dropshot is that it is usually easier to detect a finicky bite than a heavy C-rig. If you are drifting for those fish, don't be afraid to try the senko - or any straight worm - on a jig head: not heavy enough to hit bottom, but heavy enough to get it down there and kind of 'suspend' on the drift. It is a deadly smallie technique.

Wow! You are a more patient man than I am :) The scenario you are describing literally begs for dropshotting, or carolina rigging. The nice thing about dropshot is that it is usually easier to detect a finicky bite than a heavy C-rig. If you are drifting for those fish, don't be afraid to try the senko - or any straight worm - on a jig head: not heavy enough to hit bottom, but heavy enough to get it down there and kind of 'suspend' on the drift. It is a deadly smallie technique.

You can also add weight by putting finishing nails in each end if the straight worm (I have them in the box but have never actually done it).

What I do when in Erie for smallies is cover water by slowly trolling with the electric. I cast out perpendicular to or even ahead of the line of travel of the boat. Thus by the time the worm is being dragged by the boat it has had time to sink. I usually am fishing in less than 20 FOW as well.

It seems to work but you never know if something could work better.

Jim