Boatless

pro190

My friend hangs a sign on his boat in the driveway:

"DANGER, boat bobbie trapped for theft, incase of fire - let it burn"

Maybe a little overboard, but he has had 2 stolen before the sign and none since.

[ Does anyone know of a decent yet affordable way of securing their boat/trailer against theft? I was thinking of a "boot" like they use for cars but the ones I've seen so far are fairly expensive.

,,, Ummm ...sorry to hear your boat was stolen....

however,.... u say above that you think the "boot" is fairly expensive???

Is that in relation to the 75 horse merc u lost...the boat... the rods... or the trailer ???

As a "boatless" guy myself..(.because I don't own one yet)

I don't understand why you wouldn't have that kind of investment secured in some format while sitting in your driveway?? :huh:

if they really want it

there is nothing you can do

when I had my atv on a trailer stolen

it was in a locked gated fenced back yard

the hitch was locked plus the locking ball was inside the hitch

there was a chain through the rims

in my mind there was no way no how to take it

they backed up to the gate tipped the ramp on the car hauler, tied the winch to my trailer , winched it up onto the truck right through the gate and gone in 60 seconds

I now have a complete camera dvr system watching it, it will not stop them, but maybe help catch them

I agree... if they are determined, then there isn't much that is going to stop them. I live in a new development and thought I was immune to this happening ... live and learn, no place is 100% safe. I like the idea of a DVR system... will also help keep an eye on the annoying door knockers too. I've got a coupler lock and a GPS tracking unit ready for the next boat I get once insurance settles.

dsc05801.jpg

Cosmo watches my house when I sleep!

Sorry to hear about your luck! Hopefully you have insurance!

Ya, I have insurance so no worries there... just sucks at the timing. Have a September fishing trip planned and losing the boat now puts a dent in the plans. Need to rethink the trip.

Ya, I have insurance so no worries there... just sucks at the timing. Have a September fishing trip planned and losing the boat now puts a dent in the plans. Need to rethink the trip.

That must suck! If I had a boat I'd offer to take you out! hahaha....

My free boat plans fell through...hopefully I can find a good deal while I'm up in Parry Sound!

HOW TO INSTALL A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM WHEN ON A BUDGET:

1. Go to a second-hand store and buy a pair of men's used work boots, size 14-16 - or larger.

2. Place them on your front porch, along with several empty beer cans, a copy of Guns & Ammo magazine and several NRA magazines.

3. Put a few giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines.

4. Leave a note on your door that reads: 'Hey Bubba, Big Jim, Duke and Slim, I went to the gun shop for more ammunition. Back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls - they attacked the mailman this morning and messed him up real bad. I don't think Killer took part in it, but it was hard to tell from all the blood.

P.S. - I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside.'

INSTALLATION COMPLETE!!!!

Thanks for using the Redneck Security Company

HOW TO INSTALL A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM WHEN ON A BUDGET:

1. Go to a second-hand store and buy a pair of men's used work boots, size 14-16 - or larger.

2. Place them on your front porch, along with several empty beer cans, a copy of Guns & Ammo magazine and several NRA magazines.

3. Put a few giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines.

4. Leave a note on your door that reads: 'Hey Bubba, Big Jim, Duke and Slim, I went to the gun shop for more ammunition. Back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls - they attacked the mailman this morning and messed him up real bad. I don't think Killer took part in it, but it was hard to tell from all the blood.

P.S. - I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside.'

INSTALLATION COMPLETE!!!!

Thanks for using the Redneck Security Company

LOL! I used to live in Arkansas, so you're not far from the truth right there!

Great suggestions!!!

A 12" diameter hole 4' deep with a #6 rebar hairpin puored in concrete and a heavy hardenened chain run thru it and around the axle takes some time to get thru too!

... especially if there's a couple rabid dogs trying to chew your nads off!!! :blink:

rebar is just plain old steel and can be cut with a hacksaw in a couple minutes while still remaining quiet. for this idea to work you'd need some hardened steel to run your chain through...

Had my boat stolen from my driveway on Saturday night. It was a 2007 Legend Xcalibur with 75hp Merc, fishfinder, trolling motor etc, etc... My 4 fishing rods were in the boat too :( All they left me was a couple of skid marks and broken chocks. Does anyone know of a decent yet affordable way of securing their boat/trailer against theft? I was thinking of a "boot" like they use for cars but the ones I've seen so far are fairly expensive.

The next boat (I doubt the old one will be recovered) will have GPS tracking installed so if this ever happened again I should get some satisfaction of having the thief caught.

Need2fish = needs a boat ... and a rod.

Kevin

Put up some pics and the reg number for us, Kevin. We got lots of eyes on this site and we cover most of the province.

Dirty thieves :angry:

I feel for you. Not only do you lose the use of the boat, but have the hassle of replacing everything, and dealing with the insurance co.

I use a masterlock on the tongue.

A huge masterlock and chain wrapped around a 6X6 fence post and the trailer.

Own a dog, and a shotgun.

If that doesn't slow them down, hopefully this will :dunno: :

Boat_Trailer_009.jpg

Put up some pics and the reg number for us, Kevin. We got lots of eyes on this site and we cover most of the province.

Here's the info on my stolen boat and trailer witha couple of pics taken the day I brougth her home for the first time....:

License #ON783833

HIN # PLX10547E708

Shorelander Trailer S/N 1MDGS8N168A390779

Plate D3177X

Boat__2.JPG

Boat__1.JPG

Edited by Need2Fish