Never caught a walleye!

myst

After reading the earlier walleye thread it inspired me to ask this question. Me and my cousin just started fishing 3 years ago, and we've probably been out on the water around 50 times. Is it normal that neither of us has ever caught a walleye because we didn't use the right method or is it just bad luck? We catch a ton of pike and bass and most of the lakes we fish hold walleye and we have seen others catch their limits on the same lakes many times. We usually fish weedlines, try to fish structure when we have a finder on rented boats, usually 4 to 20 feet of water, using every kind of lure imaginable. We're out for sunrise and don't come back until sunset.

What are we doing wrong???

The law of averages says that you should have caught one by now, if only by accident.

The problem is your cousin, or rather both of you, and the fact that it could be the blind leading the blind. Hook up with someone that knows a lake and get them to take you Walleye fishing. Once someone shows you how to find structure and how to rig a jig and minnow you will be off to the races. Then the fun really starts as you add your experiences to the mix.

Until you start to get to know a lake and how the walleye act in it, I would stick to live bait. Only because it eliminates a couple of variables (like do I have the right colour, is it rigged right, is it acting as it should through the weeds, etc). My brothers-in-law that taught me about walleye use live bait way more than just lures.

Once you find some success and grab a few walleye you start to turn into a walleye snob and soon catching bass etc. is strictly for the great un-washed.

Good eh?

Jim

i catch them on jig heads and twister tail grubs. even bass go for em.

a white twister tail grub usually works best for me.

very inexpensive set up

also walleye love worms. tipping a mepps #3 with some worm is another good set up.

Edited by Lunatic

I'd suggest to be friendly with the guys who catch their limit and talk fishin' with them. See if they'll give you some pointers (Don't just say, hey where did you catch those?).

I only started fishing last summer myself regularly and just caught my first walleyes in Temagami, fillet for a shore lunch cronzy style... Was pure awesome.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll need to go out with an experienced fisherman some time. We're staying on Lady Evelyn Lake in 2 weeks, that would really suck to get skunked there!

Edited by fishguy777

Talk to the locals and see what they use, and ask what depth range has produced for them. Should be some people on here too that have fished that lake that can give you some advice. Or take the easy way out and follow people around :o and if they say something tell them they are in YOUR spot.....:lol: j/k.

Edited by Fish4Eyes