trolling motor purchase help

setomonkey

Hi guys,

I know this has been asked before but I couldn't find old threads on the search function. Maybe back on the old board?

Anyway, I'm finally getting a belated birthday present and picking up a transom-mounted trolling motor that I plan to use for the family cottage boat, a 14' tinny, and on the occasional rental boat.

I've currently leaning towards a Minnkota Maxxum 40T, which I think will be plenty for my purposes.

I've got three questions:

(1) Does anybody have experience with the Maxxum line, are you happy with it? I know that Minnkotas get lots of positive feedback here so I'm not worried about the brand.

(2) I figure 40 lb thrust is plenty except maybe in really strong wind or if the boat is heavily loaded. Does that seem reasonable?

(3) I have to make a decision about shaft length, the line is available with a 36" or 42" shaft. Which would be better for my purpose, which is to put it on a 14-16' tinny?

Thanks, Mike

well the transom should be under 25" so the 36" one should be more then fine..

as for 40lber, it depends on what you are going to use the motor for

if you are going to troll with it rather then position with it a 40 may not be big enough for a 16ft boat

I would go with the longest shaft available (if you can adjust the shaft on that model) most motors you can move the shaft up and down anyway, so the extra length will only be a good thing, I would suggest getting a 24v or a 12v/24v if your boat can handle the extra weight of two batteries, you will get a lot more time out of it. As for power always get more than enough you'll thank yourself in the end. I've herd only good things about the maxxum models, I have a 75lbs, 24v Motorguide wireless, compared to minnkota it was a better value and longer warranty with more features, I took a long time looking them both over and went with the Motorguide and love the motor.( except for that stinkin beep every time you hit a button :wallbash: )

More is good on the bow John with foot or wireless steer...but transom I think any extra would just end up with him reaching higher for the handle.

As for that Beep...guess I'll find that out in the spring. Nothing some cutters shouldn't be able to fix!

Edited by irishfield

Thanks guys,

Sounds like 36" shaft should be enough for the usual transom, and 40 lbs would be enough for what I need it for (positioning and controlling drifts). I'll probably go with a single 12V for the sake of weight and convenience, because I don't have a boat (yet) where I can just leave stuff.

I can get a significant deal on a refurbished motor that comes with a one-year manufacturer's warranty, any thoughts on this?

Mike

I would look at something bigger than the 40 lb, for the simple reason most days will have some wind and a 14 to 16 foot tinny catches the wind good so in order to keep the boat in place bigger is better also with the 40 you will find that you need to keep the settings up fairly high to do what you need, and that means dead batteries faster, I know a larger thrust is a little more money but best to buy the one that gives you maybe more power than you need (I think you will need more than 40) because its much easier to turn the power down than it is to row back to shore

I know there's a little Texan in all of us...with the Biggers better thing...but I had no issues with a 40lb bow mount, on my 17' Fibreglass Glastron/115 Johnson, pulling it around unless the wind was really howling. Can't see 40lbs not being enough..especially transom mounted...on a 14' tinny. Mike doesn't want to waterski behind it..or do you Mike? :dunno:

Mike doesn't want to waterski behind it..or do you Mike?

Go Texas. Go big or go home. :lol: It is true though if you have extra power, it's there if you need it, if not than at quarter or half speed you'll use far less juice on the battery, but than again I was trolling for muskies at 3.2 mph with a 75lbs bow mount on a 16.9' boat, so 40lbs should be enough but the battery might not last a full day in heavy wind.

I would look at something bigger than the 40 lb, for the simple reason most days will have some wind and a 14 to 16 foot tinny catches the wind good so in order to keep the boat in place bigger is better also with the 40 you will find that you need to keep the settings up fairly high to do what you need, and that means dead batteries faster, I know a larger thrust is a little more money but best to buy the one that gives you maybe more power than you need (I think you will need more than 40) because its much easier to turn the power down than it is to row back to shore

I would second what flip said if your looking at a 40 to save a few bucks you will probably be disappointed you will find you will have to keep the power cranked up thus draining your battery and shortening you time on the water.

There are a lot of nice used motors around, but the 1 year warranty would be nice a new kota is only 2 years and motorguide has a 3 year warranty.

Back to the shaft length again considering you can move the shaft up and down like most motors. Irish had a good point with the handle,if you went with the longer shaft but if you like standing and casting than it would be better up high.

I have a 50 lbs THRUST TILLER 36 INCH SHAFT ( MINN KOTA ) NOT SURE WHAT I PAYED FOR IT AT THIS TIME BUT I WILL SELL FOR THE RIGHT PRICE . 12 VOLT ENDURA 50 LBS THRUST 5 SPEED WITH 3 SPEED REVERSE. MINT CONDITION LIKE NEW . HAD IT ON MY OLD LUND 16 FT AND IT WORKED VERY WELL EVEN ON FAST WATER IN RIVERS AND WIND. JUST A THOUGHT.