Port Severn maps

SBCregal

Hey,

we're heading up to port severn for a few days this weekend, staying at muskey's landing. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a good map of the water depths/hazards for the area. I've never been there and we're renting a boat for the days we're up there. We plan on targeting pike and smallmouth and I'm looking to get an idea of where to start fishing. Also, I'd like to avoid any hazards obviously. Im not sure if the place we're staying has any maps...are there any bait shops in the area that might?

ryan

we've never been to this area fishing before... i see theres pike and smallmouth and musky. are there any walleye in the area?

Hey,

we're heading up to port severn for a few days this weekend, staying at muskey's landing. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a good map of the water depths/hazards for the area. I've never been there and we're renting a boat for the days we're up there. We plan on targeting pike and smallmouth and I'm looking to get an idea of where to start fishing. Also, I'd like to avoid any hazards obviously. Im not sure if the place we're staying has any maps...are there any bait shops in the area that might?

ryan

we've never been to this area fishing before... i see theres pike and smallmouth and musky. are there any walleye in the area?

http://www.muskeys.ca/facilities.htm <--phone # there

Looks like they have a tackle shop from the pics. Likely they sell maps too. Give em a call a tell them to hold one. May I suggest that you spend a few minutes with the owner and ask him/her to point out any obstacles on the map and good fishing spots while you're at it. you can learn so much from the locals.

If they don't sell maps then call tackle stores and see if they carry one. For example I like to buy the "adventure fishing maps" series because they are cheap $7 and mark general depths and obstacles. The best maps are the hydrographic maps, but I have not found a good place to buy one from. IIRC the ministry sell them for a pretty penny.

You can use google maps on satellite view to kind of get a general idea of the bays and the possible distance you can travel before running out of gas. Georgian bay is huge.

Edited by Syn

Any map is no more than a guideline when it comes to Severn Sound. Changing lake levels from year to year result in different actual depth. Ask the folks at Muskie's they usually carry a fishing map, and they can give you some guidance.

The one year, 2003?, lake levels were so low I had to push pole my 16' to the channel from Muskey's dock. Some great fishing areas were islands.

Edited by bigugli

bigugli, i didnt realize the depth of that area fluctuated so much, hopefully with all the rain the water levels will be reasonably high...or high enough anyways.

I didnt see any maps in the store at muskeys landing while i was there booking the room, but i probably missed them. does anyone know of bait/tackle stores on in the area or on the way, i'll be heading up the 400 then onto 69

bigugli, i didnt realize the depth of that area fluctuated so much, hopefully with all the rain the water levels will be reasonably high...or high enough anyways.

I didnt see any maps in the store at muskeys landing while i was there booking the room, but i probably missed them. does anyone know of bait/tackle stores on in the area or on the way, i'll be heading up the 400 then onto 69

Running up the 400 get off on Hwy 12 and go east. No more than 5 minutes down the road. Expensive for minnows. Beyond that you would go 12E to Orillia or 12W to Midland. There were a couple of hole in the wall joints in Honey harbour and mactier, at best, iffy, if they are still around at all.

In 2003, water levels were 8' below normal.

Edited by bigugli

I was there on the long weekend the fishing was very tough probably had alot to do with the savage boat traffic.Stick to the marked channels full out and you will be fine .Take it easy outa the channels :stretcher: alot of schoals are marked but not all .there is alot of pike in the area we did good along weed edges near deep water look for narrows between the islands pike and smallies on the outside eges leading in and out and lrg mouth in between good luck

PS WHITE SPINNER BAITS and SMOKE TUBES but shhh dont tell anyone :whistling:

it might be a little late but the federal publications website sells govt charts and ships next day. one map covers almost half of the severn system for 20-30$. make some 11 by 14 photocopies of the areas you are fishing so the original stays original. dont know where you are travelling from i buy my charts at brewers marine in hamilton. west marine has a retail location in barrie i think that should carry the maps. i have trakmaps trent severn kawarthas collection in a spiral bound book, quite expensive but makes fishing/.boating new area easier.

West Marine in Midland has the charts, both the set of 5 that covers Port Severn to Parry Sound (I recommend that oneand I ahve both) for $35 I think and the big 1 pager (not as detailed) for $20odd. Don't mess around in GBay, there are so many shoals and rocks that it is really easy to damage both yourself and your boat. DO NOT GO OUT ON THE WATER WITHOUT A CHART!!!!!

The Canadian Tire on Bayfield St in Barrie (just off the 400) sells charts. Their selection is limited most of the time. I didn't see one for G-Bay when I was there last, or I would have bought it my self. I think most Canadian Tires sell charts.

You can always call them, and see what they have in stock. If they have the one your looking for, they may hold it for you. It's not much of a detour to stop in there, if they have it.

Proper navigation charts from the Canadian Hydrographic Service will not only keep you from hitting shoals and damaging your prop, but if you look at them carefully, they can reveal all kinds of new fishing spots that most people will miss. They're totally worth the $30 price tag. I have charts for half of Ontario at this point.

For Port Severn downstream of the dam (i.e. the Georgian Bay side) there are two navigation charts that apply: Chart 2202, Sheet 1 (Port Severn to Tomahawk Island), and Chart 2241 (Port Severn to Christian Island).

For Port Severn upstream of the dam (i.e. Little Lake, Gloucester Pool) you will need Chart 2029, and specifically Sheet 2 (Big Chute to Port Severn). This is part of the Trent-Severn series.

Note that the water levels shown on the charts are "at datum." Water levels throughout the Great Lakes are coming back to normal levels, but are still down a bit from where they should be.

A compass would probably do you some good too. I remember my first time out on Gpool coming though little lake, we did so many stop and gos between the islands that we got turned around a few times because we were focused on fishing. What saved us finding our way back was remembering the power lines were running north south. Of course you could use the sun as a guide but I found it hard at high noon.