Flipped my canoe while fishing

hoot33

I flipped one last week with all of my gear in it. Shallow water thankfully but still a pain.

I celebrated by buying an aluminum boat this week. I'm done with the canoe.

:lol:

Yup, been there, done that, but in hunting season.

Packing up the decoys to paddle back to the launch, saw a flight coming in at us head on. We hunkered down in the canoe. They flared, then broke right!!!!!!

We are both right handed, so I went lefty, and dropped a mallard within 10 yds. of us.

OK, get the decoys in and try to retrieve the mallard...................another flock coming in at us head on...............again, they break right(to us)shoot lefty again, but so does my bud in the front of the canoe, and.....................glub...glub......glub..................AHHHHHH, so nice to have chest waders full of water in late September. Thankfully we held onto our shotguns, ..........we flipped the canoe back over, dispelling most of the water, I climbed back in over the aft end, my bud crawled back in over the front end, both of us taking time to put our legs up to empty the water out of our waders(this was way back when we we were young and stupid).

Got the decoys loaded, retrieved the mallard I downed(no idea if we hit any of the next flight) and paddled our way out for 2 kms.

Got to say, 2 guys with no upper clothes on, coming back into town, in an old Dodge Ram Power Wagon, circa 1966, in 1980, we did get a lot of attention when there was street lighting, as it was probably only 5C at the time, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two weeks later, we recovered most of the rest of our gear, which was only in 4 ft. of water, but in the loon crap bottom. A big treble hook comes in quite handy at times. The shotgun shells survived amazingly, but my binoculars were toast though.

The very next weekend, friends of ours did the darned EXACT same thing as us, in a slightly different area, but could not recover from it, but they were spotted by some American walleye/perch fishermen who came to their aid.

They were lucky that weekend.

The navy did the same thing to us when we did our small craft training. Got us out in the lifeboat and then flipped 'er up. Your mission, right the boat and bring her dockside. A whaler is no small boat.

I learned to to do it sailing a Sunfish with my 2 younger brothers and our Border Collie "Pal"!

... never could flip or sink a Boston whaler, but we only had 9.9's on them...

Flipped a canoe in N.C. in January, there aint no ice there... but damn that water was COLD!!!

I'm a stinkin' ol' fart now and wear my PFD 90% of the time now... figured I lived this long, may as well live a little longer...

plus my postings here really irritate the crap out of some folks, and that's what I REALLY live for!!! ;)

Anybody ever tip a Sportspal? Just curious.

I was planning on replying to this thread, to say that was the main reason i have a Sportspal...even if they get capsized they remain upright and your gear stays inside the canoe. I've never heard of one tipping before...a friend of mine fought a big pike one time in my dad's 12' Sportspal and at one time the canoe was almost on a 45 degree angle, with stuff sliding all over the place...but she never went any further than that.

A few years ago, while at Bass Lake PP, I rescued a man and his daughter after their canoe had capsized on them. Both of them climbed into my 14 ' square stern model from the middle of the canoe with no problems...and I had a bunch of my fishing gear, gas tank etc in there as well. After recovering all the floating debris, we managed to bail enough water out of his canoe to allow me to tow it back to the dock...which was all my little 3 HP could do...lol. The guy was shocked that he had been able to climb into my canoe from the side, for he was a pretty big guy. They may not paddle as well as a regular type canoe, but they are true to their name and when it comes to fishing or hunting...they are hard to beat.

Glad everybody was alright in this case here...especially after hearing in the news of all the drownings going on lately.

Many moons ago there were 3 us us fishing specs from a canoe

I hooked one and the large inexperienced American fellow in the middle sitting on the bottom grabs the net. When the fish got close, he lunges at it with the net. Water comes in over the side, but the other 2 of us lean back in time to avert disaster. We did take on about 4 inches of water though. After the fish was landed our American friend requests that we go to shore to empty the canoe so that he doesn't have to sit in water all day. Well, us 2 with the seats under us decided that it would be a good reminder to not lunge for fish if he was required to sit in the aftermath for a while :o:D ...And man did we catch specs that trip

Many moons ago there were 3 us us fishing specs from a canoe

I hooked one and the large inexperienced American fellow in the middle sitting on the bottom grabs the net. When the fish got close, he lunges at it with the net. Water comes in over the side, but the other 2 of us lean back in time to avert disaster. We did take on about 4 inches of water though. After the fish was landed our American friend requests that we go to shore to empty the canoe so that he doesn't have to sit in water all day. Well, us 2 with the seats under us decided that it would be a good reminder to not lunge for fish if he was required to sit in the aftermath for a while :o:D ...And man did we catch specs that trip

Damned Americans!!! :angry:

I was planning on replying to this thread, to say that was the main reason i have a Sportspal...even if they get capsized they remain upright and your gear stays inside the canoe. I've never heard of one tipping before...a friend of mine fought a big pike one time in my dad's 12' Sportspal and at one time the canoe was almost on a 45 degree angle, with stuff sliding all over the place...but she never went any further than that.

A few years ago, while at Bass Lake PP, I rescued a man and his daughter after their canoe had capsized on them. Both of them climbed into my 14 ' square stern model from the middle of the canoe with no problems...and I had a bunch of my fishing gear, gas tank etc in there as well. After recovering all the floating debris, we managed to bail enough water out of his canoe to allow me to tow it back to the dock...which was all my little 3 HP could do...lol. The guy was shocked that he had been able to climb into my canoe from the side, for he was a pretty big guy. They may not paddle as well as a regular type canoe, but they are true to their name and when it comes to fishing or hunting...they are hard to beat.

Glad everybody was alright in this case here...especially after hearing in the news of all the drownings going on lately.

I was planning on rent8ing a boat out at bass lake, hows the fishing out there??

Anyone in a canoe and has a cell phone and/or a camera should be using Zip-lock bags.

Or you can buy the new waterproof Canon D10 camera at about $399.99 (12 pix).

Or the best solution is to get a PELICAN CASE – waterproof, floats, crush proof, dust proof and etc and etc.

Here is Pelican Canada and cases 1120, 1150.

http://www.pelicanproducts.ca/oem/

http://www.pelicanproducts.ca/cases_detail.php?Case=1120

http://www.pelicanproducts.ca/cases_detail.php?Case=1150

Small case 1120 case would be perfect for a cell and a small digital camera. There are larger and smaller cases.

pelican-case-1120-big.jpg

There is a Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Burlington that sells Pelican cases. The 1120 case is $35.00.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1249507620131

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1249507119767

carp starter

I flipped my 12 ft tinny 2 yrs ago cost me alot of money .my camera was toast$237.oo dig scale $42.00 net $32.00

Found my tackle box .few.......................

My rod was wrapped around my oar and I was wearing my PFD.

Thankfully digi camera's have come down in price.

Look on the bright side no one drowned.

I remember that story well. :P