Going Across Canada!!

Pachone

Great deal man. I have seen the majority of the country; however, it was all done alone making sales calls. Fly into somewhere, drive like crazy and get on the next plane from whatever town.

I second the Alaska Hwy. My one suggestion for this portion is bring a jerry can of gas, or two.

I look forward to sharing portions of that trip or maybe the whole thing when my boys become friends, when I am 60 and they are 30.

Enjoy your time, take a pile of photos and share them with us.

Thanks for the responses guys,

I got some Pics added of the construction of the bunk... check it out..

This is gunna be one hella adventure!

IMG00315-20090802-1910.jpg

IMG00316-20090802-1910.jpg

We just put in a mattress and gave it a test run and its comfy as hella. Just need to setup some blinds, and pack'er up. Leaving next week hopefully!

Also got an SLR borrowed from my dad, so gunna get some wicked pictures.

Unfortunate the touchscreen on my Sony Camcorder isnt working, I need to bring it to the store this week.

How many of you guys are going? Hopefully you guys are great buddies because that long coop up in the van can drive some people crazy. The bunk looks great, I doubt you will even need the blinds considering the tints on the rear windows. One thing I have learned traveling is that you shouldn't be too concern about the finances and just have fun and try, see everything you can. You can always work once you get back but the memories and experiences are priceless.

thanks alot for the feedback so far guys. Im taking notes!

Do you think it would be possible to run a charger for some things, coming from the cigarette outlet in a van? or would that burn out the engine? I was hoping to charge my laptop over it.

Also thinking about showering... are there places to do that on the road? Im not thinking of spending alot of $$$$ either...

Thanks for the tips guys!

Keep em coming if you can!

Install a power inverter.

Yup, there's a lot of space going to waste on the roof of your van if you don't put some kind of storage up there.

Does your van have a roof rack or roof rails?

It does, but we would need some sort of storage. and we dont have one of those containers.... and they can cost $... and we dont have tooo much. We havent even left yet!

we have investigated on kijiji and craigslist, and nothing too special. we would really only need for max 2 months...

any ideas?

could use the ol strap er down technique

How many of you guys are going? Hopefully you guys are great buddies because that long coop up in the van can drive some people crazy. The bunk looks great, I doubt you will even need the blinds considering the tints on the rear windows. One thing I have learned traveling is that you shouldn't be too concern about the finances and just have fun and try, see everything you can. You can always work once you get back but the memories and experiences are priceless.

I completely agree with the finances and the experiences part. We just need to get out on the road first. Just got the insurance done today, waiting for safety certification :S, then e-test and SEEYA

the bunk is allllooott bigger than you think. We test slept it and its great,,, even with a thick mattress. very comfortable.

Just worried about getting it on the road, and packing up.

It does, but we would need some sort of storage. and we dont have one of those containers.... and they can cost $... and we dont have tooo much. We havent even left yet!

Lemme think on it. :D

You know, for something easy on the buget, one thing that you might consider for storage inside the van while you're travelling is 5 gal. snap-lid pails. They're big enough to hold loose groceries, clothing, odds and ends, etc. and easy to take out of the van and leave outside overnight while you're sleeping. They're completely waterproof, even a raccoon can't get the lid off, and you can use them to sit on if you want to. The lids won't come off even if you store them on their sides in the van.

We've used them for tent camping at water-access spots on lakes.

The kind of pail I mean is the kind that various cleaners and floor polishes come in. They're white and a good (free) source might be schools, where at this time of year they're re-doing all the floors for commencement of classes in less than a month. All you'd have to do is ask for empty ones. They're easy to clean and perfectly sanitary once washed out. Label them with permanent marker so you'll know what's inside and won't have to open every one to find something! :D

As far as the roof is concerned, I can't think of a low-budget way to take advantage of that... yet. :unsure:

Edited by Jocko

we have investigated on kijiji and craigslist, and nothing too special. we would really only need for max 2 months...

any ideas?

could use the ol strap er down technique

Strap one of these bad boys on the roof. :D

Only 50 bucks at Canadian Tire.

Roof Bag

• 2 weeks later...