Wolves vs. Moose, Nature at Work-NF, but outdoor related

tjsa

When I was in high school we did a group hiking trip to Isle Royale for 5 days. It has a really interesting ecosystem due to the island usually being totally isolated every now and then an ice bridge makes it out (last time was something like 50 years ago when I was there in the 80s). The wolf and moose populations swing back and forth every few years (wolves eat too many moose and start to starve off then the moose recover etc etc) and I was there in a moose year which meant most of the hiking involved staring at the ground or winding up with moose putties up to your ankles :(. I can still vividly remember going off on my own one night and following a moose trail into this marshy area but there wasn't any signs of life. Kinda dejected I wandered back towards camp staring at the ground (gotta keep them boots clean you know) when I heard a rustle and looked up to see a bull 15 feet in front of me. DAMN THEY ARE BIG. Before we left the ranger station they'd made us watch a film about what to do when you run into a moose and what they're capable of and growing up in Thunder Bay you certainly are aware of them and see the after effects of them vs cars but it still doesn't prepare you for that first close up. We both just stared at each for a while then I tried to get my camera and he started towards me - ok screw the camera - I froze. Back to the stare down for another minute or two (I'm sure it was hours) then he just turned an sauntered into the woods. What a great trip, I highly recommend doing the loop to anyone who loves hiking.

Your right Tom I did and just been one of those weeks for having time to post. I have another Quinte report to get up and going also. I had to put on a training course this evening for 46 people and now that it's out of the way I can enjoy a bit more time here.

Life sure is cruel but mother nature is amzing to see in action.

Thanks for getting it up on the board.