Out post fishing

doack

Also remember if there is a slot size on the lake you are fishing that you have to retain the whole thing gutted to prove it's not a slot fish...

As for confusion... I said yes because if they wanna go in they're gonna and I haven't bothered to look for the actual Ontario Regs but it was at least at one time a no warrant issue to come in and check a freezer or garage for illegal hunted deer/etc. You shouldn't have anything to hide anyhow and keep in mind they are trying to protect YOUR fishery. I don't see Wil (fishnsled) too bent out of shape about it and he's the one with the fine. Probably worth looking into though as he wasn't transporting... but someone in his group might have said "we've kept a couple to take home" !

1. Fish caught and retained may be gilled and gutted but fish length must be readily measurable at all times for fish taken from waterbodies where size limits are in effect, unless the fish:

are being prepared for immediate consumption;

are prepared at an overnight accommodation for storage;

are being transported on the water from a temporary overnight accommodation to that person's primary residence and that person is NOT engaged in sport fishing; or;

are being transported overland.

2. In addition, when packaging all fish for transport or storage, anglers must ensure that a Conservation Officer can determine:

the number of fish that you have;

the species that you have in your possession.

When Packaging Fish, Anglers Should:

Leave a large patch of the skin on all fillets for identification;

Pack or freeze fish separately and flat so that they can be counted and identified (clear plastic bags or clear plastic wrap is preferred).

Conservation Officers

Conservation Officers have powers of inspection, arrest, search and seizure under the various statutes they enforce, including the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and the Fisheries Act. When carrying out their duties Conservation Officers may do the following:

Stop and inspect a vehicle, boat or aircraft;

Ask questions relevant to the inspection;

Inspect buildings or other places;

Search with a warrant;

Search without a warrant in circumstances requiring immediate action;

Seize items related to an offence;

Arrest anyone the Conservation Officer believes has committed, is committing, or is about to commit an offence.

Conservation Officers operate random "Fish Check Stations" throughout the year. At these stations, Conservation Officers collect information on fish caught by anglers and make sure the regulations are obeyed in order to manage and protect Ontario's fisheries resources.

Police Officers appointed under the Police Services Act, RCMP Officers, National Wildlife Officers, National Park Wardens and Conservation Officers of all border states and provinces are designated Conservation Officers in Ontario.

2. In addition, when packaging all fish for transport or storage, anglers must ensure that a Conservation Officer can determine:

the number of fish that you have;

the species that you have in your possession.

Well that's pretty clear, thanks. I read that a while ago but forgot about it in this context.

Search without a warrant in circumstances requiring immediate action;

So much for all the stories we hear about what a CO can and can't do. He can do basically anything he wants, with what he considers to be reasonable grounds. The worst that can happen is that the charge is thrown out IN COURT, with not much repercussion for the CO, but expense in time and money for you.

The worst that can happen is that the charge is thrown out IN COURT, with not much repercussion for the CO, but expense in time and money for you.

Yep the Canadian Judicial system.... but sure better than Saudi Arabia where they just cut your hand off...

Talking to a CO is kind of like the customs check when crossing (either way) between Canada and the USA. You get asked some simple questions, your attitude and nervousness are judged, there's a look for anything that seems out-of-kilter, and you either get waved through or you're pulled over for a thorough check.

I have been on numerous fly ins and have never been inspected. I think that is an answer to your question.

Thanks TJ, those are the types of answers I was looking for. I have been going on fly-ins for 20 years up in Ontario, and never had one come in. That is why when I saw a thread on another site about it happening pretty frequently I thought I would come over here and see what the board members are seeing or hearing.

Any other comments along these lines would be appreciated. It just doesn't seem right to go in and ruin someones vacation when they are the only people on the lake, and having a few beers while fishing all day.

They definetely don't need a warrant to enter. Some of the senior board members will remember this, but a while back a CO went into Anglers Kingdom and demanded that the owner open the door to one of the cabins when the people were not even there to have a look in the freezer.

Its always possible for them to land in. You do see them coming though, so use that to your advantage if you can. Although I'm sure they are watching you with binoculars before they even land to see if your nervous and panicking. Get drunk before you go out if your that worried about it.

Thanks TJ, those are the types of answers I was looking for. I have been going on fly-ins for 20 years up in Ontario, and never had one come in. That is why when I saw a thread on another site about it happening pretty frequently I thought I would come over here and see what the board members are seeing or hearing.

Any other comments along these lines would be appreciated. It just doesn't seem right to go in and ruin someones vacation when they are the only people on the lake, and having a few beers while fishing all day.

TJ I've been on numerous flyins and although I haven't been personally checked (on a flyin) about four or five years ago we had a plane land which had both a CO and OPP officers on the plane, they checked three of the four boats in our group and also checked the cabin freezer without anyone being present in the cabin, seemed they were only there to check for licenses and possession fish which our group was good on. They didn't make an issue about beer in the boat at the time which they could have, but I have a feeling that if the same thing happened today they wouldn't look the other way about the beer. We've had a CO waiting at base camp on our return from an outpost to check creel limits as well with no problems.

From what I've heard and read this happens more in northwestern part of Ontario, just my opinion.

Fisheyes is correct too about Co's coming into outpost camps and checking cabins without permission or warrants, there is a certain CO that likes to visit Sportsmans Lodge and Anglers Kingdom north of Red Lake, it happens every year.

Last year we were stopped by CO's and OPP's just south of Ear Falls (HWY 105) and they were stopping everyone going south for a fish check again no problems for us (no fish) but they were writing tickets to everyone not in compliance with the regs.

doack I'm not going to tell ya that it's not impossible for you to get a visitor but then again the chances are slim.

Good Luck on your trip and I hope you enjoy yourself

TJ I've been on numerous flyins and although I haven't been personally checked (on a flyin) about four or five years ago we had a plane land which had both a CO and OPP officers on the plane, they checked three of the four boats in our group and also checked the cabin freezer without anyone being present in the cabin, seemed they were only there to check for licenses and possession fish which our group was good on. They didn't make an issue about beer in the boat at the time which they could have, but I have a feeling that if the same thing happened today they wouldn't look the other way about the beer. We've had a CO waiting at base camp on our return from an outpost to check creel limits as well with no problems.

From what I've heard and read this happens more in northwestern part of Ontario, just my opinion.

Fisheyes is correct too about Co's coming into outpost camps and checking cabins without permission or warrants, there is a certain CO that likes to visit Sportsmans Lodge and Anglers Kingdom north of Red Lake, it happens every year.

Last year we were stopped by CO's and OPP's just south of Ear Falls (HWY 105) and they were stopping everyone going south for a fish check again no problems for us (no fish) but they were writing tickets to everyone not in compliance with the regs.

doack I'm not going to tell ya that it's not impossible for you to get a visitor but then again the chances are slim.

Good Luck on your trip and I hope you enjoy yourself

Thanks Whopper, we will do so, and again, I am not real worried about it, we do have a few (2-4 during the day) and just don't want the hassle if they are coming in more frequently. Sounds like we will be ok, just keep the cans out of the boat when done with them. And no, I won't throw them in the lake lol.

Take care all.

Edited by doack

Leaving Aug. *th, we fly out of Chapleau to ***, 1st time at this lake, hopefully its as good as they tell me. Anyone ever fly with *** camps in Chapleau before?

I think you might get a visit this time. :)

:unsure:

lol, didn't think that one through. Note to any lurking CO's, I was just kidding, really going to Southwind lake out of Shapleau on Aug. 19th, please disregard the other posts! :D

I can't believe you come on hear to ask your question about drinking in a vessel while out fishing. Then give up your location where you will be :lol:

You are a :asshat: