Balsam Lake Boating Hazards

sneak_e_pete

Hi all, heading up to Balsam next week for the first time. I just bought a new boat that I will be playing with up there. I am launching out of the Provincial Park and plan on fishing the weed beds in front and to the south, however I would like to take the new boat for a good spin. Are there any hazards I need to look out for? Can anyone direct me to an online map? I tried to find one, but couldn't. Thanks.

Watch out for Togo rock- right to the East of a buoy on the channel just South of Rosedale- right around the waterline and not usually marked. Also a few rocks north of Grand Island to watch for. Pick up the chart for Balsam- plenty of info; part of the Trent/Severn series.

Here is a pretty useful map.

http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=134

Most of the hazards on Balsam are well marked. Having said this, I would be very cautious around these areas on the map:

I7, H7 and G8: There is underwater shoal here that sticks out from Grand Island and extends right over past Hogg Rock, Hog Island and straight through to Ball Island. I dinged my prop in this area last summer. I was cruising a good 60 feet away from Hogg Rock and was in 8 feet of water, a hump came up out of no where and clunk! So be cautious.

I8 and I9: Between Delaware and Cherry Island. This is a very shallow area with lots of rocks. Use extreme caution in this location.

G4: Right at the edge of the Balsam Lake Park, there is a large shoal that sticks out just to the right of the Park boat launch. It has marker, but I have seen several boats cruise right between the marker and land while burning out from the Park Launch. If they have not dinged the motor, they have been lucky.

Other then that, it is very well marked lake. If you decide to go into Cobaconk for supplies, be careful in the River. Stay inside the channel markers while under your main motors steam. There is good fishing in this river area for bass, but if you want to get outside the channel markers, use your trolling motor.

As always, a good Sonar will always help! A GPS/Sonar Combo is mint when exploring new lakes!

Good Luck!

Ab

found some more info for you and the credit goes to "homer is king"

Hazards

The locations of these hazards in VERY approximate. Do not use these points for navigation. Show caution in these areas and watch for the hazards. If you have more accurate co-ords please let me know.

H1 – Hogg Rock

Co-ords: N44 35.793 W78 49.205

Hazard: Exposed rock

H2 – Indian Point

Co-ords: N44 36.074 W78 49.956

Hazard: Flat rocks around point

H3 – Cherry Island

Co-ords: N44 35.147 W78 47.977

Hazard: Rock wall near island

Hi all, heading up to Balsam next week for the first time. I just bought a new boat that I will be playing with up there. I am launching out of the Provincial Park and plan on fishing the weed beds in front and to the south, however I would like to take the new boat for a good spin. Are there any hazards I need to look out for? Can anyone direct me to an online map? I tried to find one, but couldn't. Thanks.

In order for you to be safe, you need to purchase the SMALL CRAFT NAUTICAL CHART #2025. (Bobcaygen to Lake Simcoe) You should be able to purchase this map in a set, any any marina.

The fish hawk map is OK for general fishing area, but do not rely on it for navigation, etc.