Garden Update - Garlic Crop 2009 - NF

Leecher

After planting my garlic bulbs (50 of them) last fall in mid October 2008, it was finally time to harvest them out. We had a lot rain last night and early morning and now it is bright and sunny.... made the harvest a little easier cause the earth is really wet.

Here is the results.... garlic for the next year:

IMGP1993.jpg

IMGP1994.jpg

and kept the biggest ones for a starter kit next fall:

IMGP1995.jpg

Now my job is not over yet..... got to clean them out and hang them to dry in the shed for a couple of weeks.

Then it's time for the food processor :blink:

Neighbors will be smelling garlic for a little while I guess :lol:

Leechman

What do you start your first crop from? Can you buy seeding cloves?

You need a neighbour like WhitespinnerBait to give you the Bulbs ... :angel::angel:

Seperate the bulbs in to cloves and plant the cloves 3'' to 5'' inches deep in the fall October 15th ish

Edited by Whitespinnerbait

Nice crop!

I love garlic but know nothing about growing it. So you plant the cloves in the fall? What do you start your first crop from? Can you buy seeding cloves?

Thanks Joko..... It's real easy and as simple as planting tulip bulbs. You can buy them in any gardening stores or if you know someone that is growing them the better. I was fortunate enough to have a great neighbor like Paul aka whitespinnerbait that gave me a few heads for planting. I've been growing them for the last 3 years and very successful at it I might say and keep the biggest plants for that.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww321/l...09/IMGP1995.jpg

The above picture is the plants that I will keep for planting next fall. What you need to do is take each plant apart and transplant the clove into your garden, making sure that the root of the bulb is facing toward the ground, other wise, once it starts to germinate, won't even come out of the ground.

As for depth, if you hold the bulb in your hand at the tip of your five fingers, force it into the ground until you reach below your knuckles which would be roughly around 3" to 5" deep.

As for when to plant them.... mid October, around the 15th, if it's cold out other wise wait for the following week. Mid July, around the 15th is the time to harvest, like I did today. As for the caring of them, just like any other plant, not too much water is required.

I will be posting pics of the finish product in this thread for those that are interested. I keep my garlic in the freezer and last the whole year.

Hope this help

If you have any question please fell free to PM me.

Leechman

Remember Jacques... that's your grow "and possession" limit. You've gotta do up a serious amount of croutons to rid yourself of the garlic you have, before you can go out and grow anymore.

No worries Drew, here is the left overs from the crop last year

IMGP1996.jpg

This new batch will end up in the freezer mixed in some olive oil, after it got into the food processor ready for any dish I might prepare :whistling:

This little recipe will keep for a full year in the deep freeze. I was kind of glad to see the new batch cause I was running kind of low. Some of my wife's colleagues want some to start their own and might just give a little so that I don't need to do some serious amount of croutons to rid of LOL

Jacques

Nothing better then fresh garlic ...cut the top off exposing the cloves ....pour in some virgin olive oil and cook it in a toaster oven...lobster on the side..

Nice crop...

Yeah that'll do :D Thanks Twocoda

I had just pulled 1/2 of my garlic on Weds. I had 100 sets in the ground. Need lots for the 200 odd jars of dill pickles and salsa, let alone any other culinary needs.

Holly molly Bruce, 100 sets is a lot of garlic :w00t: But I know that you love cooking and see why the needed amount :worthy:

Thanks, Jacques!

We have a small garden and I think I'll have to try that. Can't have too much garlic! :D

I saved your instructions to remind myself at the right time.

Make sure your fall planting gets a month's grow time before getting too cold. They need to establish a good root ball before winter.

Looks like somebody is going to need a breath mint!!! :whistling:

Thanks for posting that Jacques!!! :thumbsup_anim: I've wondered how your garden is doing!

Mine is doing great, I'm covered up with Yellow and Zucchini squash, and have Cucumbers coming out of my ears... Ol' Yeller has already put up 45 jars pickles (bread and butter, and spicy and mild Dills), relish, and chutney with the Cucumbers!!!

My tomatoes are just now starting to come in, ate my first vine ripened one yesterday... man was that thing ever good!!! :P

Looks like somebody is going to need a breath mint!!! :whistling:

Thanks for posting that Jacques!!! :thumbsup_anim: I've wondered how your garden is doing!

Mine is doing great, I'm covered up with Yellow and Zucchini squash, and have Cucumbers coming out of my ears... Ol' Yeller has already put up 45 jars pickles (bread and butter, and spicy and mild Dills), relish, and chutney with the Cucumbers!!!

My tomatoes are just now starting to come in, ate my first vine ripened one yesterday... man was that thing ever good!!! :P

Yeah G I think I need more then a mint to eradicate the smell :lol: The garlic is drying in the shed and as soon as you walk in there you can smell it pretty strong :blink:

Tell your wife to put aside a couple of bread and butter jars for me..... I love that stuff and home made is nothing but the best :worthy:

My tomatoes are still green but doing fine..... just not enough sun to ripen them :wallbash:

Question: Did you get my reply from the last PM you sent me??

Jacques