Slow It Down!

Fishnwire

My Father-in-law bought a brand new Suzuki 2.5 hp 4 stroke outboard this winter. We've been using it at camp the last couple of weeks and I'm really happy with it. The one thing that could be better is it's minimum speed. It trolls a little fast for my liking even at lowest throttle. It doesn't stall, but it's just not slow enough. Anyone know if there's any way to slow this puppy down a bit? I could try a dfift sock or some simular type arrangement but that seems like a pain in the butt.

I tried that, it doesn't really slow the boat down very much and I lose a fair amount of control. The motor doesn't have a reverse gear, you just spin it around and go in reverse. The prop is still spinning in the same direction at the same speed. Plus I don't have easy access to the throttle and stop button when the motor is pointing backwards.

you could try dragging a 5 gallon bucket behind the boat, this may help some.

jason

I agree throw a 5 gal of the bow on starboard and port side use equal lenth of rope for both so the pail's end up along the sides the boat.it works very well, or you could just go to crappy tire and get a couple drift socks?

I thought about using a bucket. I was thinking about two lengths of rope, about 4 feet each, one tied to the port and one the starboard...like a "V" going out to where I'll attach the bucket so it runs in the middle, behind the boat.

However, like I mentioned in my OP, I'd like to avoid the hastle of all that stuff. It's a brand new motor and it's only 2.5 horse...shouldn't I be able to attain a reasonable trolling speed without having to drag something? The manual is at camp so I can't check right now, but maybe there's an idle adjustment or something? I'll look it up when I get back, but I was hoping somebody encountered the same problem.

I do appreciate the suggestions. Thanx. Keep 'em coming.

Edited by Fishnwire

If you do use a five gallon bucket you should drill two holes in the bucket at the top edge and tie a rope across the bucket and then tie a rope to that rope and to just one cleat on the transom. If you tie the rope to the buckets handle chances are that the handle will be ripped off. I have done like I have explained and it works very well for my boat. Only one 4 foot rope from the starboard side cleat to the bucket is all you need.

Unless it's a sealed carb or FI, there will be 2 adjustment screws, one should have a small coil spring between the head of the screw and where it screws in, that's the idle speed adjustment, Most likely you'll find it on top of the carb where the throttle plate shaft comes out. In the lowest positionIdle) the end of the screw will be sitting against part of the carb, when you increase speed, you'll see the assembly rotate and the screw will move away from the carb. Back that screw out about 1/4 turn. you will notice the motor slow down a bit and speed will decrease. Let us know the outcome. Don't monkey with the other screw, that's the idle gas flow adjustment.

Drift sock(s)! 5 gallon bucket's full of water suck when you want pull them back to the boat... And they take up a lot of room in an already loaded with gear boat, where as the drift sock folds up small... Unless they are white buckets, then they rule all!

Drift sock(s)! 5 gallon bucket's full of water suck when you want pull them back to the boat... And they take up a lot of room in an already loaded with gear boat, where as the drift sock folds up small... Unless they are white buckets, then they rule all!

I agree, a 5 gallon bucket is way too big. Get a 2.5 gallon bucket like one you would use to have soapy water in to wash your car. They work perfectly. Have used them for over 10 yrs. on canoes and 14 ft. boats. Even backtrolling in a 14 ft. with a 9.9 hp we toss a bucket off the nose to slow it down. We have only ever had need to use one bucket. And, you can toss stuff into it to carry over a portage or a trail into a lake with no trailer launch.

My Father-in-law bought a brand new Suzuki 2.5 hp 4 stroke outboard this winter. We've been using it at camp the last couple of weeks and I'm really happy with it. The one thing that could be better is it's minimum speed. It trolls a little fast for my liking even at lowest throttle. It doesn't stall, but it's just not slow enough. Anyone know if there's any way to slow this puppy down a bit? I could try a dfift sock or some simular type arrangement but that seems like a pain in the butt.

there should be an idle screw that controles the amouth of gas to the piston. get a macanic to do it or if you are familiar with outboards do it yourself. i had to do it on our portaging outboard a yamaha 4hp 4stroke. runs real slow. a drift sock will slow you down but can be a pain when you got a cow on and you get tangled with it.