Need your help!

danbouck

I'm heading down to Byng Island in Dunnville in a couple weeks to go camping for a week. I am hoping that I can catch my first walleye while I'm down there. Anyone wanna share some insight on where to go and what to try. I will be paying Fishmaster a visit while I'm there but would like to get prepared before we leave. I'm also gonna try and get some perch for dinners.

This time I AM looking for your hotspots and trusted lures :P

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Sweet!! I'm going there on August long weeked - personally, I fish from shore. I mostly hit the damn... and the pier near Port Maitland. Not too sure on what methods are used to catch 'Eyes... I'd be interested to hear on other peoples inputs...

I assume you will be fishing from a boat?

Edited by A2F

Sweet!! I'm going there on August long weeked - personally, I fish from shore. I mostly hit the damn... and the pier near Port Maitland. Not too sure on what methods are used to catch 'Eyes... I'd be interested to hear on other peoples inputs...

I assume you will be fishing from a boat?

Ya I'm bringing my boat home from Long Point and taking it with me. I am going on the 4th until the 9th

Hey Dan,

Was down fishing Port Maitland 2 weekends ago on a Saturday Morning. Tried the mouth on the east side 1st off the rocks. Caught nothing and saw nothing caught by the other 15 or so boats there. Decided to move to the opposite side just off the west end of the lighthouse in 19' of water and faired a little better. Caught 15 in about 2 hours of which only 6 were keepers. Used a pickerel rig. I think the perch are only in at Port Maitland for a very short period of time. I agree with others though, Fishmaster will put you on the walleye.

Good Luck.

Edited by huey graphite

port maitland perch have fled the scene i believe. wont be around in august i wouldn't think. i catch cats and sheephead at the dam, and see scattered boats throughout the run to the lake. ive been told worm harnesses and cranks along the shorelines, watch the fishfinder and pitch to holes or found fish. understand it is slow but steady. looks like good bass territory but posters tell me bass is better above the dam. lots of deep water and it was easy to drive around. decent boat launch behind the arena in dunville for 10$. check some older grand river posts i got lots of advice from here....

thanks again fellas

Good Luck Dan...

Dunville is a hard fish... people catch, but they're also the one's who put their time in there...

try trolling in around 9 feet of water with fat little crankbaits.... perch, firetiger and blue/chrome colors...

i've seen guys anchor really close up to the dam, 5 to 6 feet from it... and jig with jigheads/twister tails...

you'll need an anchor, and stand a high chance of loosing it... fill a couple of empty bleech bottles with sand/rocks

and use that to keep you there, if you have to cut the line, no big loss that way...

again, good luck to you

Cheers

Goran

I would save yourself the hastle of camping at a provincial park. If you like to have a few drinks at night, they can be annoying as hell. Even a little peep and they are telling you your too loud. You can camp right on fishmasters property for like 20 bucks a night, right alongside the river and he has docks made now so maybe ask him if you can use them. If not you just pull out the boat, no biggie. As for the fishing, you really have to work for them. Best time for me is evening, although guys do catch them throughout the day. Don't be scared to go shallow at night I have caught them in 6', which makes sense since pickerel do move shallow to feed during prime feeding times. Jigs with worms or twisters, and crankbaits have produced for me. Good luck bud, looking forward to your report.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

If the jigs, bouncers and cranks aren't working, don't be afraid to try tossing jerkbaits at docks. Twitch, Twitch.. SMACK!

It's a tough spot to figure out. Those walleye are moody and change their habits I swear on a daily basis.

I would save yourself the hastle of camping at a provincial park. If you like to have a few drinks at night, they can be annoying as hell. Even a little peep and they are telling you your too loud. You can camp right on fishmasters property for like 20 bucks a night, right alongside the river and he has docks made now so maybe ask him if you can use them. If not you just pull out the boat, no biggie. As for the fishing, you really have to work for them. Best time for me is evening, although guys do catch them throughout the day. Don't be scared to go shallow at night I have caught them in 6', which makes sense since pickerel do move shallow to feed during prime feeding times. Jigs with worms or twisters, and crankbaits have produced for me. Good luck bud, looking forward to your report.

I don't think my wife will think that camping at Fishmasters is the perfect summer vacation ;)

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I need to go shopping now :D