Okuma Rods and Reels

GreenCanada

I've been looking around lately and have been seeing lots of okuma rods and reels. What is your personal thoughts on Okuma? Are they good quality, do they compare to other products well? I had been looking at an ultra light 5' spinning rod, and ultralight to light reel.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Never used their rods but their reels are about on par with Shimano's at half the price, that is if you don't stress them they'll last awhile.

A few trolling guys I talk to don't care for the Magda's, apparently they blow up fairly easily, but the Convectors are much much better.

I just picked up one of their reels, NIB on ebay. Beautifully finished, left-hand crank for my wife. (She didn't know she needed it!) :D

I've heard good stuff about Okuma, but we haven't tried it yet.

P7102675__1024x768_.JPG

P7102676__1024x768_.JPG

This question/discussion has came up a couple times here on OFC for the time I've been here and if I remember correctly that the general consensus is that their spinning reel sucks. Their baitrunners are alright but sometimes they don't work properly (baitrunner doesn't engage/disengage). Most people think their centerpins are alright though, for an entry level pin.

Don't hesitate, you'll like them. I bought a 5'6' Okuma Ultralight combo from First Choice in Guelph an love it. I've caught plenty of good size bass and several large pike on it without worries. The first day I took it out I caught a couple nice size largemouths with it, including these two. I'd tell you what model I bought specifically , but the rod is in my car. I'll update tomorrow if your interested.

img001081315754.jpg

img001101343763.jpg

Never used their rods but their reels are about on par with Shimano's at half the price, that is if you don't stress them they'll last awhile.

A few trolling guys I talk to don't care for the Magda's, apparently they blow up fairly easily, but the Convectors are much much better.

Shimano is leaps and bounds over okuma. I used all okuma last year, even the drags on there high end series catalina and covectors reels have absoultly no comparison to tekota series reels and are close price wise. There wire rods are decent but thats about it.

Its all relative to how much you use the stuff and how well you care for it. Okuma may work great for you.

Yeah I was talking more about their spinning gear, but Okuma trolling reels are pretty much universally panned.

I've had my fill of junk Shimano's for lighter casting gear, pretty sure they just got lucky with how great Tekota's are :D

Shimano is leaps and bounds over okuma. I used all okuma last year, even the drags on there high end series catalina and covectors reels have absoultly no comparison to tekota series reels and are close price wise. There wire rods are decent but thats about it.

Its all relative to how much you use the stuff and how well you care for it. Okuma may work great for you.

you can't compare a tekota with convector... tekota is 2.5 times the price of a convector, the catalina is $100 cheaper then a tekota...

that's like comparing a honda accord to an s class mercedes apples to apples bud

I've got tekotas, convectors and catalinas they're all good...

my baitrunner is an epixor and it's caught lots of carp without any issues..

I've been looking around lately and have been seeing lots of okuma rods and reels. What is your personal thoughts on Okuma? Are they good quality, do they compare to other products well? I had been looking at an ultra light 5' spinning rod, and ultralight to light reel.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I own an Okuma Diezel spinning combo and have used it for the last three carp seasons, surf fishing for salmon and occaisionally for trolling. Combo was purchased for $40 US and still going strong.

Vs

A $40CN spinning combo from a local retailer (wasn't a big brand name) used shore fishing for fish in the 8-15lb range, that did not even make it one season, mono line grooved the eyes and the drag was shot.

My point, echoing what Raf shared with you, for the price, decent gear. Not sure what you are going to be targeting with this setup but being that it is an ultra light, I am going to guess that it is not for large fish?. Although there seems to be a high percentage of members here who do not like Okuma the rod you are considering appears to receive more positive than negative reviews when I googled it.

Happy fishing

Edited by bly

I have two Okuma Convector reels that I regret buying every time I use them. The ati-reverse disengages on it's own, won't engage when I flip the switch and have disengaged while fighting a fish! :wallbash:

For another $25, I could have bought another Diawa Sealine, but I guess lesson learned.

HH

Wow, huge response on both sides of the spectrum! (sorry i'm a little late replying damn papers and exams...)

I would be looking mainly for a spinning reel or rod as those are what I currently use. I'm not looking to get into baitcasters yet, but it's good to hear about them too.

So I guess I have some thinking to do. I'm not likely to use it for trolling, mainly just shore fishing as a spare/backup reel.

Bronze back, I'd love to hear what model combo it was and maybe more specifically where you caught those largemouth if they were in guelph ;)

haha

Either way, thanks everyone for chiming in with your input, very valuable reviews/thoughts!!

All I can say is that I love my Okuma reels I have 4 convectors 30 D line counters they are used for musky fishing trolling baits all summer and fall alot of big baits in the fall I have many big musky brought in on them and not one complaint yet.

I also have three avenger 15 reels that I got from Ebay and love them I will be getting more for the price I will stick with them I have only had them two years but not one problem yet.

I do know that people had problems with the magna line counters but they were cheap and did not feel that sturdy in the hand.