OPP Officer Killed in the Line of Duty

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/661910

A Sad day in the policing world. Only two days after two young Barrie Police Officers were attacked and in serious but stable condition.

OPP officer dies after cruiser collides with truck

TORONTO STAR GRAPHIC Email story

Jul 07, 2009 10:57 AM

Madeleine White

Staff Reporter

One OPP officer is dead and another is seriously injured after a crash near London, Ont.

The police cruiser collided with an asphalt truck around 1:30 p.m. on Furnival Rd. south of Rodney, halfway between London and Chatham.

Const. Al Hack, 31, from the Elgin County detachment of the OPP, was taken to the health services centre in Newbury where he succumbed to his injuries.

Sgt. Dave Rektor of the OPP said the constable was hired full-time in May after serving part-time as a cadet for two years.

He was "just a very great guy, well-liked by everybody at the detachment and certainly (this is) a huge tragedy for everybody," Rektor told CP24 last night.

The other officer, Const. Lynn Neale, was in stable condition after being airlifted to London Health Sciences Centre.

"We're all hopeful and rallying around her that she is going to make a recovery," Rektor said.

Neale has been with the Eglin county OPP for just over a year.

Last night Premier Dalton McGuinty issued a statement honouring the fallen officer.

"On behalf of all Ontarians, I would like to express my condolences to Constable Hack's fiancée, family, friends and colleagues.

"You are in our thoughts and prayers ..."

There is no word on whether the driver of the transport, who was not injured, will be charged.

Seven investigators from the provincial Special Investigations Unit are probing the crash.

An OPP officer with the Elgin detachment was quoted last night saying it was unclear what led to the collision. "The word `pursuit' has not been used," he said

sad

a lot of people die from car accidents

The survey of the Canadian vital statistics database, made up of information from death certificates, shows that 97,964 people were killed in motor vehicle accidents during the past quarter-century

This is super sad to me. As a person persuing a Policing career, my heart goes out to all his fellow officers and family members. This is a sad day when we lose an officer that was put on this earth to serve and protect!