60 hp & under series

BBA

just thought I would through this out there, what if a small series similer to the reel fishing compatition 60hp & under series was to start up ? would it last ? and is there enough people that would wanna fish it ? I fished in the 60hp & under series years ago and had a blast, just thought it would be fun to do so again... please let me know what you think.

BBA

Would love to see that series return, would consider buying a little boat to fish in that series with my daughter in a couple more years.

I don't think it was lack of participation that made the series stop, I think the guy running the series just got too busy.

Low HP, low entry-fee, low payback fun events on smaller bodies of water would be a great way to introduce people to the sport.

That's how I started and how I got hooked.

Charles

Guest skeeter99

yeah it would attract guys but!!!!!

this is what it did before as the entry level guys got better and bigger boats (reel fishin competition)

it was 60 and under

then 75 and under

then entry fees went up cause guys wanted more payback, got to remeber it cost alot to run a series of tournies and pay people to work at them never mind the insurance cost.

then rick rodo sold it

then the csfl(bassmania) picked up the slack with the bm 100's 100 hp and under series which really does not have a large field

Edited by skeeter99

Rick Rodo sold it to Bill Major a couple years before the series folded/stopped. I heard Bill Major ended up stopping the series because he just got too busy with his other stuff, not that he was losing money or anything. It never went above the 75 HP level. He still had very decent fields in his last season, especially considering the fees were up to $120 per event by then. Back when Rodo started it, it was $60 per event and 60 HP & Under. I think that is a great price point and HP level to make all the guys with even the smallest of boats feel comfortable. I remember rental boats with coolers entered in the events and lots of 9.9's, 15 HP and 25 HPs etc. I started with a 40 HP and was about the middle of the pack in terms of HP. Those days were a lot of fun. I remember 130+ boat fields at Scugog and close to that at Sparrow. As soon as they raised it to 75 HP and started upping the entry fee all the really small boats were gone.

I think as you make the entry fees bigger to increase the paybacks, you eventually defeat the purpose of a starter series. It should be a low entry fee low payback event to make it affordable to everyone. Anyone that thinks "I want to fish for more money" has LOTS of options out there. Keep things economical and fun and the guys will come out of the woodwork I bet.