What size jig do you use for Bass

markiemark70

I have been using 1/8 oz for the past 2 years and it has become my favourite bait for Bassin. Going back to do a Grand river run with my buddy same trip as last year where we each caught 12-15 bass on a 1/8 oz jig with the barbs squeezed down as per regs (probably hooked 20+ each)

Just went to BPS and decided to try to up it to 1/4 oz with 4" twister. Any thoughts on whether these are good for Bass? Will I catch less fish? Bigger fish? Also anyone care to share their favourite colours?

Thanks

Really depends on what depths you are fishing, the conditions and the cover (rocks, log, the slop, etc)

I like to use 1/4oz for tossing tube at docks and fairly shallow water. I'll up siza if I'm dragging tubes for smallies on lake shoals etc..

For the slop, heavy jig/pig to get to the bottom and braid as thick as rope, lol

Edited by BillM

Since you are fishing current, weight matters a fair bit more than on still water. 1/8 is a good size for slack areas (eddies, place where there is little current), but may not get you down to the bottom in areas of faster current. 1/4 is probably all you need in addition to the 1/8 unless there are some deep pools with good current.

Changing the trailer will do almost as much as changing the weight. a 1/8 oz jig with no skirt and a small worm on it will sink much faster than one with a double-tail hula grub or a full skirt and a craw-trailer. Take a variety of trailers with a 1/8 and a 1/4 and you should be good.

My experience on rivers is that getting the jig down so that it is just banging the rocks can seperate the 18" fish from the 12" fish.

Allright thanks guys, I guess trial & error is the order of the day. I was pretty overwhelmed with the selection and variety of jigs and grubs at BPS, so I just want to make sure that I get something that will be productive, without doing my usual and buying one of everything! $$$ is tight these days.

I will report back after the weekend.

Cheers

On river smallmouth, you can catch a lot of fish - and good ones - fishing a 1/4 oz jighead with a 4" green or brown grub on it. Cast and crank like a crankbait, bounce off the bottom, deadstick it on eddy lines, burn it just below the surface like a spinnerbait.

Don't let the selection overwhelm you too much. Color doesn't matter 95% of the time with jigheads....lots of very good smallmouth jig fisherman don't even paint their jigheads. A good hook is really what matters. If I were going to worry about selection, I would stick to 2 styles: a football jig for bouncing off rocks, and a weedless jig for timber and vegetation. BPS makes a wicked 1/4 oz football jig with a weedguard that you could probably use 75% of the time.

Have fun!

I would say,if an 1/8 oz is working so well for ya than don't fix what ain't broke....This weight is probably giving you an excellent presentation in the areas you are fishing so keep it up...Probably wouldn't hurt to add a couple of different jig weights to your arsenal for those days that conditions are little different....

Good Luck

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

depth is a major factor.

also, how active the fish are is a factor. using a lighter than normal, slower sinking jighead can work when the fishing is slow.