Little Lake in Barrie

goteeboy

OFNers

So, I've been fishing Little Lake off Duckworth in Barrie for about 14 years now. As many of you know it's a great lake. In all the years I've gone there I think I've struck out exactly two times. It's a great lake to practice your skills or learn a new technique. For me, I learned Texas Rigging at Little Lake. Before I owned the boat I loved the fact that their rentals were always on the cheap side. And as I became a regular, the outfitters were even willing to rent to me for just a couple hours on a weekday evening after work. I really love this lake. I know it inside out.

For the past 13 years I've caught tons and tons of hammer handle pike. 99% of the time I would practice catch and release. The average length back then, i would say would be between 20-26 inches for your average pike, probably weighing 1.5 - 2.5 pounds. It wouldn't be uncommon to catch dozens of these on a single outing. Again, many of you know that.

But here's what I've observed this year. I've been to the lake three times. First time, between the three of us, we caught at least 30 pike. Second time, between the two of us 25 pike. Yesterday, between the two of us around 20 pike. But almost all the pike were 12-16 inches. So I don't know what's going on. I've spoken to the proprietor at the marina/rental place and he's told me that the lake is not stocked by the ministry. So the lake naturally sustains itself through reproduction, which is amazing considering the amount of pressure it gets. I've also observed in past years where folks would take their limit of pike home with them too. Of course this is all within the laws, but I'm wondering now if the lake has been over-harvested. Maybe the lake has evolved and the bigger pike are not in my normal spots. I don't know.

Well, just sharing my observations. Anyone else notice this? I wonder what we could do?

little lake is completely fished out in the past few years. 3-4 years ago you could easily land 2-3 pikes in the 30-35'' range, plus the usual little lake pike size. this year my dad went, they catch 50 plus pikes, less than feet long... in a few hours. maybe a few just over a feet long.

looks like no more little lake fishing in the next 3 years.

A big part of the problem is the internet, I know for certain there a was a person last winter who repeatedly posted all of his catches, gave info out like no tomorrow, you know what I mean.(Not on this board) Well, now we have a result.

Couldn't it also be the fluctuation of the general population? Could there not be a large batch of small fish in there right now, that will grow up to be larger? Unless of course people think keeping a pike under 24 inches is worthwhile. I guess some do.

But what about dissolved oxygen content? What if it's been going down, and the fish are stunting?

I'm sure the most obvious answer is pressure from more fisherpeople...but still...the walleye lake I grew up on has gone through different phases where all you catch one year are small guys, then the next year you're into a bumper crop of nice sized eaters. :dunno:

I just started fishing last year and little lake has been a regular visit. I haven't caught a lot bigger than 18-24". I've only been once this year and caught 8-10 that trip. This was the biggest I landed and I'd consider it a good size pike from little lake. Oh and yes I also learned to buy a rainsuit that day lol

pike3.jpg

Edited by Governator

A big part of the problem is the internet, I know for certain there a was a person last winter who repeatedly posted all of his catches, gave info out like no tomorrow, you know what I mean.(Not on this board) Well, now we have a result.

Exactly