LAKAIR - strange name

Jonny

And Jocko, you live there....a 25 minute drive for you, why don't you ask in person. A whole bunch of us are going to be there for a week starting Wednesday. Good opportunity to meet the gang eh?

And Jocko, you live there....a 25 minute drive for you, why don't you ask in person. A whole bunch of us are going to be there for a week starting Wednesday. Good opportunity to meet the gang eh?

I can think of several answers off the top of my head...

1) Getting to know this crew at a distance is good enough for now! :P

2) Living on the lake, it's hard to move my butt to another part of the lake.

3) I might embarrass myself in front of a whole gaggle of experts.

Maybe next year. :D

Does sound like you guys (and gals) do have a whole lot of fun though. I hope you have a great time and create a whole new batch of fish stories.

Jocko,if you are that close you really should visit the event.Nobody there will bite you,cept maybe Peter but he will have a funny hat on so it wont be so bad.There may be bears there also,I rassled one for a shirt last year.Might be a dwarf and a goat also.Prolly a rocket scientist and an asian guy with a guitar who's wife outfishes him.Some guy who brings a dog that is smarter than me.Another guy that brings the sweetest little airdale ever.Some guy who has a new boat that has a big mustache and a passion for Muskie.More than a few guys that post here not so much but will be there.This place is not just about hiding behind a keyboard and monitor,its a real place where people meet in real life and dont correct each others spelling around the campfire.I hope you show up and have a chinwag with some of the boys.I'm really gonna miss it this year.

Joe

I can think of several answers off the top of my head...

1) Getting to know this crew at a distance is good enough for now! :P

2) Living on the lake, it's hard to move my butt to another part of the lake.

3) I might embarrass myself in front of a whole gaggle of experts.

Maybe next year. :D

Does sound like you guys (and gals) do have a whole lot of fun though. I hope you have a great time and create a whole new batch of fish stories.

I kinda figured that, Jocko.

I kinda figured that, Jocko.

Aw, don't make it sound so serious, Roy. :D

This place is not just about hiding behind a keyboard and monitor,its a real place where people meet in real life and dont correct each others spelling around the campfire.

Sounds like a reg'lar bunch of guys, Daplumma. I do love my keyboard but it's not an exclusive thing. :wub:

Two years ago was my first time. Came up to see what this is all about. Camped for the first time and came with no boat. Let me say, I had a great time. Everyone made me feel welcome and there were many offers to share other's boats. Over the course of week, I may have fished with about a dozen other members and their families. I think there was only one day, early in the week, that I didn't have a ride - but that's OK. Made lots of friends and made a few more last year. I understand there are others coming in for their first time this year, even a group from my home state of PA. It's a great time and I too look forward to it each year. Lots of great fishing around and you just can't beat the evening camp fires, Bull sessions, and sharing of stories. Yeah ... it's a just an all around great time. Oh yeah, let's not forget the OFC Saturday Pike Derby, Prize Table, fish fry, and picnic. (Leaving in just 3 days) :thumbsup_anim:

Art, Joe, Glen ... gonna miss you guys this year.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Dang if I were that close I would not miss it but that is just me usually we have our LSC Musky Classic that weekend but this year it has been moved t oJuly 3rd weekend and I will still miss it as work has been very slow this year and the $$$ is down so I must wait for another year one time I hope to get up there for the week or just weekend.

Have fun for all that are going I know the area is great and the people i have met over the years here have also been great it will be a fun time.

Cheers Mike

Jocko... you opened a can of worms there... I've gotta answer this post... its dear to my heart..... :wub:

But first all to Joe and Art and GCD... damn... everyone is goin' to miss you guys this year... your our "Southern Lights".... you guys shine.. And that's just not moonshine......! :whistling:

O.K... Here goes........:blahblah1: Please bear with me.. I'll try not to be too long winded but a brief history is in order to set the record straight...

In late fall of 1919 my grandmother, a young Lillian Cameron (originally Lillian Lavanna Rice, from Lumberton, North Carolina) arrives in Sturgeon Falls (you know that place) by train with her six-week old son, Wally. She and baby were met by a local legend by the name of Bill Cartier (direct descendant of the explorer by the same name) who had a homestead on the south shore of West Bay at the time.

So, in a cold October snow storm (first time Lillian had ever seen snow!) Bill hauls Lillian across a rough Lake Nipissing and into the West Bay and then further into the West Arm to meet up with her husband, Fred, who had come up ahead the spring before.

Lillian and Fred settled into a log cottage that Fred had built for the winter and, the next spring, started clearing land and building small cottages on a site that would later be known as Samoset Lodge…

You with me so far… :thumbsup_anim:

O.K… we have to speed up now…

10 years later Fred.. flies the coop, leaving Lillian and young son Wally to manage the lodge in the wilderness, hunting deer for food (I still have a mount of a buck that Lillian shot in 1926 hanging in my dinning room).. Growing their own vegtables, cow and chicken… (no food stores or even roads to the non-existent food stores in those days) and lots of fish. The original clientele were a interesting collection of well-to-do guests from south of the border (bankers, lawyers, movie stars and gangsters)… lots of interesting stories there..

The war comes along… Wally (who had never seen much of the world).. gets the itch and joins the U.S. Marines and off to war… Lillian, now on her own… sells the lodge.

Moving…. along… Wally gets blown up in the war.. (Nazi U-boat off the Carolina coast)… survives but badly shook up.. Few years later ... not doing well emotionally or job wise... ends up back in Monetville, on the West Arm, marries his early school-days sweetheart, Hazel, and becomes business partners with his mother. Together they build a new lodge located adjacent to Samoset. Lillian decided to call the new lodge “Lakair”….

Pronounced “lake.air”.

Why Lakair… I have no idea..! Perhaps because here we have lots of lake of lots of wonderful clean, fresh air… whatever…..!

But, after all her hardships and perseverance Lillian Lavanna Rice earned the right to name the new lodge any damn thing she wanted to…! :worthy:

the cap't :Gonefishing:

But, after all her hardships and perseverance Lillian Lavanna Rice earned the right to name the new lodge any damn thing she wanted to…! :worthy:

I'd say she damn well had! Good on her and thanks for taking the time to share that with us Kevin. :canadian:

No need to "bear with you", Cap'n. :D

Family history is always interesting, especially when it involves "pioneering" an area. I thoroughly enjoyed your write-up. So many of these stories are eventually lost, sad to say.

I was through your area on Hwy 64 a couple of years ago. Very nice country. I think I might even remember your entrance off the highway.

Is the spot I marked the right place? .................

Lakair_Lodge.JPG

the cap't :Gonefishing:

And that's good enough for me. Very interesting story. Reading that, I can recall one of Samoset's newsletters describing the history of their camp. Interesting the stories of the various fishing camps and how they came to be. Thanks for sharing Kevin.

I'll take the liberty of responding for the Capt. (with all due respect Kevin), yes Jocko that is the place. :)

That's great.

I see from the Capt's post count that he doesn't post much, so I'm pleased my question elicited a response. I have some idea of what a busy job it is to maintain and run a lodge, having helped out at the Tatachikapika Lodge (Gogama area) years ago. Ain't much time left over for computers (or anything else for that matter)! :D