Looks like a TO strike.

Harrison

Wish I could view the strike as a chance to hit the ponds rod in hand, but with a young family and one income, I am stuck looking for someway to make ends meet.

Sure would be nice to know sooner then 12:01 am Monday morning if I will be making money that day or not.

Anyone looking for consulting on the Kawarthas or Lake O by chance? :D

Edited by Harrison

Great time for folks to go on strike! Thousand's are out of work, the economy in the tank... all over sick days!!!

I expect that those striking will have little or no support from the general public, actually, I think many will be pissed!

Not an attach on ou Phil, you have to follow the rules of the road so to speak...

I actually ran into Sid Ryan a couple of weeks back, he was leading a group of protesters on Bay street. I suggest to Sid, that if he really wanted to help the people of Toronto, he should take his own life! He didn't seem too amused. :P

Gonna be a smelly summer in the big smoke!

HH

Personally, I don't think government employees should be allowed to strike.

None of them are starving. None are being treated unfairly.

Ultimately is costs the taxpayer money. I feel like I'm being held for ransome.

My wife is a nurse and has never been allowed to strike. They have always managed to settle a contract.

City workers here in Windsor are on strike for 10 weeks and still nothing has been resolved. We have to take our own garbage to the waste disposal facility, and at some places you have to pay for disposal. Basically, CUPE is trying to protect pensions and benefits of future employees which the city wants to discontinue providing.

As a striking CUPE worker all I have to say is we pay taxes just the same as you. What they are taking away is things that we have already have , we don't want more. Just what we already have, no one wants to go backwards. P.S. I cannot go out as I work in the health care field.

Edited by fishermccann

As a striking CUPE worker all I have to say is we pay taxes just the same as you. What they are taking away is things that we have already have , we don't want more. Just what we already have, no one wants to go backwards. P.S. I cannot go out as I work in the health care field.
Yeah god forbid someone takes away the absolutely absurd amount of bankable sick days you guys have held the city hostage for. Those who voted for this strike have no grasp on reality and what is going on with the rest of the workforce apparently. I hope the city and general public turn on you all and finally figure out it's time to privatize most of these services. I know I happily look forward to crossing your picket lines.

How will being on strike make a difference.

Let a mediator decide.

Nobody is starving.

PS...I smell a lock coming

Edited by Dara

Over the past 28 years as a city worker I have saved up 85 sick days, when I retire we get paid out at 50% of those which is 40 days or two months , big deal after 28 years. Most of our jobs when we are not there we have to be replaced , as that is the law as set by the province , better to pay 50% at the end of your working life rather than 100% for someone else to do the job! Don't give us any more but surly do not take away what we already have. I saved those up in good faith.

Edited by fishermccann

Yeah god forbid someone takes away the absolutely absurd amount of bankable sick days you guys have held the city hostage for. Those who voted for this strike have no grasp on reality and what is going on with the rest of the workforce apparently. I hope the city and general public turn on you all and finally figure out it's time to privatize most of these services. I know I happily look forward to crossing your picket lines.

I bet you wouldn`t be saying that if you were in a Union....

Cross my picket line and you`ll get what you deserve.... A job with no sick days, crappy pay and benefits and no-one to fight for you when you screwed by your employer....

UN FRIGGIN BELIEVABLE

Doug

Oh, I suspect that before this is over you'll feel like you've been forked enough. :P

JF

Good one John :D

American cities have laid off, never know what could happen. I just count my blessings and cross my fingers things get worked out.

Edited by Harrison

I am one of the people that has been forced to hand out the lay off notices and explain to employees why we are all taking salary roll backs. Not fun.

The comment saying that you don't want to go backwards is both stubborn and foolish. In this industrial and economic climate we are all fortunate if we are only going backwards. I have taken a 10% cut this year along with all my employees, it hurts but is much better than the alternative. I also have no pension

My crew over here are all thankful to be employed and ask daily what else they can personally do to help us get through this. The 300 families that I am still responsible for are taking small cuts so that they can contribute to the success of their neighbour, more lay offs are a much less forgiving option. I would suggest others work towards the same attitude that these folks have.

I'm not going to get too involved in this, but remember, there's always more to the story than the media reports, and secondly, give the barganing a chance, they are talking and as long as that is the case then there is a chance things will be worked out. There's not much point in getting all worked up about it at this point....

Enjoy the weekend and go fishing...

Maureen

I bet you wouldn`t be saying that if you were in a Union....

Cross my picket line and you`ll get what you deserve.... A job with no sick days, crappy pay and benefits and no-one to fight for you when you screwed by your employer....

UN FRIGGIN BELIEVABLE

Doug

I worked in a union breifly and I wanted out as fast as I could. What I saw was people being overpayed for a shocking amount of apathy and lazyness. Unions need to go the way of the dodo for almost all sectors of employment, whille I understand why they were created this isn't a coal mine in the 1900's.

I have never been screwed by an employer, why would I? I take sick days if I'm on my death bed, work hard, don't slack off and don't try to take advantage of the employer every way I can. I find most, not all, of those who have been "screwed" deserved it for being lazy dog shaggers always sick Monday or Friday who will drop the job the second 5PM hits regardles of what is going on.

Unions mostly now serve to protect the lazy and stupid workers who hide behind their unions that are now as big a business as the guys they were brought in to fight against.

Seriously get over yourselves

You can tell I haven't been on OFC for a bit, I forgot how quick things turn into pissing matches sometmes.

Smaller brushes and an open mind create better pictures - Reg. TM by PH ;)

Thats why we have a union. What is crazy is that a plumber with 4 years work in, gets 60 an hour, when you can get them to show up! A nurse that has a 4 year degree , and works 12 hr shifts, most holidays and 50% of weekends gets 28 .

There are lots of inequities in our system and they should be fixed, but not with retroactive clawbacks. Change the future, but leave the past alone. And I'm no union fan.

If the nurses had above them a hierarchy of management and employers all demanding profitability nurses would make a lot more, and deservedly so. I think nurses are the most underpaid employees in the working world, given the crap they have to work with. Of course some plumbers work with crap too. :)

JF

Show me a plumber that gets $60 an hour.

I have nothing against unions. If the company can survive wuith them then fine.

I just don't think that the public should be held to ransom by them.

The work has to be done and taxes can always be raised. All a public union has to do is go on strike and sooner or later they egt their way.

Private industry isn't like that. If wer'e gonna pay the public service the big bucks, we should at least get the service and not the strikes. Same as teachers. None are starving so why should our kids miss school so they can get an extra 10 cents an hour. Let a mediator resolve it and outlaw government worker strikes.

There are lots of inequities in our system and they should be fixed, but not with retroactive clawbacks. Change the future, but leave the past alone. And I'm no union fan.

If the nurses had above them a hierarchy of management and employers all demanding profitability nurses would make a lot more, and deservedly so. I think nurses are the most underpaid employees in the working world, given the crap they have to work with. Of course some plumbers work with crap too. :)

JF

THAT is the best thing I have heard , no clawbacks, I earned what I earned, leave it alone, the future- who knows!

Thats why we have a union. What is crazy is that a plumber with 4 years work in, gets 60 an hour, when you can get them to show up! A nurse that has a 4 year degree , and works 12 hr shifts, most holidays and 50% of weekends gets 28 .

if the nurse wanted $60/hr he/she should've been a plumber...