Turtle nesting season

frozen-fire

It's that time of year again. Female turtles will haul themselves out of the water and make a sometimes long and dangerous journey to find suitable nesting locations.

Unfortunately with the increasing development of roads, lots of habitat is destroyed in the process. Lots of turtles will seek warmer sandy areas to deposit eggs. Because roads are often situated higher and shoulders are composed of gravel and sand, they will heat up faster with more sunlight hitting them directly, making these locations favourable to the female turtles.

I've already seen a few casualties.

Please drive with caution as some will actually be on the road either crossing or in the process of laying eggs right on the edge between asphalt and the shoulder.

They will come out usually during the evening and morning hours.

These turtles that are at risk are the ones that do all the contribution to the population.

Most common species to be seen in our area are the midland painted turtle, common snapping turtle, and the blanding's turtle.

Here are some pics of some turtle sightings during my last shore fishing trip earlier this week before the cruddy weather hit us.

This painted turtle had no where to deposit eggs, so just selected a grassy area right by a small road with cars zooming past.

3634419813_b77d89c0ea.jpg

3635229718_87d254efb3.jpg

3634438615_ba479d7551.jpg

This male snapper was just cruising around looking for food while everyone was fishing.

3634438447_fdb946004f.jpg

3635248124_42a7f71ee5.jpg

Victor, they are very opportunistic feeders, so any live bait or slow moving plastics will get munched on :P

That snapper actually ate a small perch that was caught by my buddy! After the meal, it came up for air, looked at us, then returned to the murky depths!

Funny you posted this one about turtles. I was on the front lawn this morning and there was a big snapper walking across the grass. It appears that it was heading for an old pile of bark and scrap wood that I had piled up. Would she be laying her eggs in that?

Mike

Possible, but most likely not. She would want soil.

They will walk through many types of terrain and will use their hind legs to "feel" for suitable spots with ideal temperatures.

great pics!

i dont know how many times ive pulled over to get these guys off the road safely....

cheers,

Yv

Just be aware that a large snapper can do a lot of damage, including remove several fingers if given the chance. The safest method to move a snapper is to grab it around the base of the tail and carry it (away from your body) and relocate as quickly as possible. Do not lift by any location on the shell since it will get you with the powerful jaws or sharp claws. You might be surprised how far they can extend their necks when they want to take a chunk out of you! :o

This snapper was laying eggs about 10 feet from my front door yesterday! The nest has since been covered with a wire cage to stop raccoons from getting at it. So far I've only found snappers this year, but last year I found a couple of maps and a Blanding's.

DSC01417.jpg

Edited by 4thgen