Prop and Skeg repair

woodro

I figure $100 to $150 for the prop depending on the definition of a few dents. I'm guessing that the skeg repair won't be cheap either as I would think the lower unit would need to come off.

I damaged my prop last summer up north and it had a couple really good curls in it. A rush repair was $135 from a guy in Powassan . It was also stainless steel and off of a 150 merc.

My skeg is also broke and he can fix that too but it does require the lower unit to come off and be disassembled, i never asked the price but i will be having him weld a new one on sometime.

If you are looking for someone to do it drop me an email and i will send you his info

[email protected]

If the skeg is only damaged by knocking a chunk out of the front of it:

Small chunk - just use "JB Weld" (Canadian Tire stocks it).

Larger chunk (broken out from hitting a rock) - here's what I did... for a crescent-shaped piece missing, about the size of my palm

1) Epoxy a "fillet" of soft aluminum to the skeg ( fillet made from roof flashing folded and cut to shape to fit the "hole") . Enough to hold the JB Weld when it's applied. 5 minute epoxy will do, and you'll have to hold it in place til it sets.

2) Wait a few hours for the epoxy to cure, then build up JB Weld until you get approximately the original contours of the skeg. Better a little too much than too little.

3) Next day, file the JB Weld down to get the original contours and to smooth out irregularities.*

4) Spray paint with the original colour.

I was skeptical it would hold but it held just fine for about 5 years (and probably would have held longer). Then I hit another rock. :o

---

* You might have to apply more than one layer of JB Weld if you're building up a thicker patch.

Edited by Jocko

i just got my skeg replaced after taking it off on a rock in temagami,,,cost me around 140 from a place out in hagarsville,,,he also fixes props cheap,,,second time going through this...pm me for details if it is close enough for ya,,oh and i believe he can repair it right on the boat

City Wide Welding in Mississauga is the outsource shop for most marina & boat shops in the area. Props & skegs are his specialty. He welded a 3" back onto my skeg, without dropping lower unit. Looked factory new! I was happy with price too.

I paid $500 for a skeg welding job at Bayveiw Marine on Stoney Lake...The weld broke the first time out...The weld was full of bubbles like an Aero candy bar! The guy there told me "Tough luck" when I complained...I would suggest that you stay away from that place.

Some places charge as much as 50% of the replacement value of the SS prop on a big job...Shop around!

I figure $100 to $150 for the prop depending on the definition of a few dents. I'm guessing that the skeg repair won't be cheap either as I would think the lower unit would need to come off.

the prop doesn't seem to be wobbling at full throttle but I am worried that it may began to crack the seal in the lower unit because two of the four tips on the prop are slightly out of shape.

The skeg is not broken off but there is a chunk missing which is exposing the prop more then i'd like. I'll have to look into JP weld, and the replacement skeg cover at BPS.

Both great ideas. Thanks guys

thanks guys, I checked out the product and it looks really sharp. The only thing I was concerned with the strength of the shield but given the fact that its stainless steel it should be ok.

I'm going to put it on this week. Thanks for all the info.

City Wide Welding in Mississauga is the outsource shop for most marina & boat shops in the area. Props & skegs are his specialty. He welded a 3" back onto my skeg, without dropping lower unit. Looked factory new! I was happy with price too.

They fixed my props when I lived there.

They do good work.

It's amazing the stuff you can hit out in the middle of Lake O. :dunno: