Help Please- Topics for Kids fishing Seminar

tschirk

I am hosting a 1hr kids fishing seminar next weekend @ my park - Red Eagle. It is a good bass & pike lake with a few lakers. I don't want to over whelm them so what topics do you think I should cover?

I was thinking of buying them a bunch of Senko's & Gammy hooks & flouro leader as a give away...

Comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Ted

Kudos to you for doing this!

I guess it depends on how old the kids are and whether they know anything at all about fishing.

How about stressing safety first of all? i.e. Wearing a life jacket even when fishing from shore, safe casting (hooks kept away from head and face, and other people), hat and sunscreen, things like that. Sunglasses for eye protection from hooks. Never handle hooks with the line under tension.

How to bait a hook with worms or minnows, attach a sinker, attach a bobber to a line, maybe even a simple fishing knot.

How to net a fish - always head first.

It might be nice to have a "sample" basic tackle box to show them, including a hook remover or needle-nose pliers.

That's very generous of you dude! :) Wicked of you to do that! :)

Here's my opinion...

1) SAFETY 1st! (always) that's definitely a topic that needs to be discussed with the kids....1st and foremost.

- Discuss how important is it is know where the "hook" is AT ALL TIMES....

- Discuss how long of a rod a toddler/kid should be using (generally the longest rod a kid should/can use is as tall as they are)...

- Discuss how important it is to use a life-vest

As far as "Prizes"/"Giveaway" 's are concerned... I personally wouldn't give them the more "expensive" stuff.... not unless you know their parents are into fishing as well....then it may be worth it. The kid(s) may just end up 'losing' the stuff... ya know?

I would do the basic "Red/White" bobber....simple/cheaper pre-rigged (snelled) hooks.... and maybe even some sinkers (tungsten...i wouldn't give a kid lead) weights....and/or maybe a simple "essentials" equipment in a tackle box.

As far as the 1hr discussion goes.... probably good to compare how much similar/dissimilar humans and fish are...ie: weather conditions...water temps....etc.....

maybe even do a drawing of some kind (to keep their attention)... maybe even involve them @ the end.... test how much they've learned @ the end? (the kids will definitely want to participate, especially if a prize is involved)...

You know how the fishing show by Italo Labignan has the "Fishergirl" segment? (forgot the name of his show....Canadian Sportfishing... That's it!) Anyway.... if you've got a PVR or an "ON DEMAND" type cable... record some of his shows....(and depending on when this seminar is)... you can build up a pretty hefty arsenal of "what to say to the kids" before the seminar.

my 2 peso's....

Don't bore those kids to death safety's important don't drone on it.

They need Rod and reel explanation

Knot

Float and bait setup

Go fishing

instruction at the water on casting.

individual casting instruction.

Prize give always is way over done instead of free stuff highlight family fun and hotdogs pop.

And keep the hours short.

Garnet

1. Water and equipment safety basics

2. Basic casting safety & skills

3. Fish identification

4. Handling the fish properly and humanely for your safety and the fish's wellbeing (different fish can be handled differently)

Good idea. I sometimes walk down along the river on a Sunday afternoon and I'm appalled at the way kids flail hooks around and the way the fish get abused all because no one has taken any time to give the kids any instruction. Their parents just give 'em a rod and reel with some hooks and bobbers, tell 'em to dig some worms and go catch a fish.

JF

Great input all...The real challenge is going to be keeping it interesting while not over whelming them. Safety is a great point and I like the knot idea too, along with all the other tips.

Many Thanks!

Ted

Taking volunteers from the crowd could help keep the interest up...show them a knot...have someone try it...they get a small prize for being brave enough...a tube jig, or bobber...then many more volunteers and willing listeners hoping for more giveaways

I've done several kids seminars in the past few years and one thing I ALWAYS stress is the importance of sunglasses. Polarized sunglasses reduce glare and really protect your eyes, they also act as safety glasses. I have been hit in the face many times by lures, some by others, some of my own, and I always thank God I was wearing glasses!

Been thinking lately about this post... I had some cool idea's for prizes...

Giveaway prizes ideas...

Spirderman Fishing Rod

Dora the Explorer Rod

Things of that nature....

*obviously if money isn't an issue*

Everybody who replied already put out some great ideas, just my 2 cents though, it might be a better to give prizes like the ones A2F suggested instead of giving them senkos/flouro leader. For a kid who doesn't know a whole lot about fishing probably doesn't appreciate "winning" a flouro leader as much as a spiderman rod since he/she doesn't even know what it is.

Ted, if you want to hold their attention let them have some fun by playing a casting game with them (if they're old enough) with prizes to be won... it will be a great treat after the casting instruction... you may however want to get some prizes that will appeal to kids of that age class. My nephews don't know what a senko is or care for that matter!!! yet!

If you are on the water's edge you can mimic what they do at the Sportsman show with the rings and a bell or something to that extent.

Safety, safety, safety!!!

Teach them young so we can make sure the next generation is better than ours... it is an opportunity to save a life by making them see the importance of life jackets, knowing whats behind you before you cast, having a good knowledge of the waters... and when shore fishing, having a solid place to stand!

Touch on conservation..just a bit cause stuff like slot limits and that will likely go over their heads.

good work helping the kids!

The safety issues are great....

How about talking about alternative baits - show a box of shrimp, hot dogs, or something they eat and how it can also catch fish? Easy to get and works really well.

My niece loves to fish. My sister however won't put on a worm so they use shrimp. Other kids have laughed at them until she's catching all the fish.

That too may be a good point to teach parents....you don't need worms or the likes but if you have a shrimp ring or left over hot dogs, why not take the kids fishing using alternative baits found around the house.

Good question subject too....so kids, what do you have around the house that you can use for bait?

Cheers and good luck.

Paul

Edited by legacey