How to clean a spinning reel?

splashhopper

I want to clean my spinning reels up, but can't find a thread on the site in regards to the proper way of doing this.

ie: do I use rubbing alcohol , cleaning detergents,

And after I clean it, what type of lubricants should I be using on it?

Thanks for the support

Splashopper

There are Lubricant and Grease specific oils out there for Baitcast/Spinning reels...

HERE's BPS' Reel Grease....

HERE's BPS' Reel Oil....

There are a plethora of choices when it comes to GREASES and OILS....

I was looking at getting REEL OIL/GREASE not too long ago - I used BPS' "Review" as a cross-reference....I ended up getting the ones QUANTUM produces...

From what I understand they are so cheap you can just throw them away and get a new one.If it was a baitcaster its another story.They are way expensive so you have to clean them and take care of them.Seriously,I rarely need to clean them up,I did use carb cleaner on one..not such a good idea.WD 40 will flush grit out but use reel grease to lube them.WD is not a great lubicant.

Joe

From what I understand they are so cheap you can just throw them away and get a new one.If it was a baitcaster its another story.They are way expensive so you have to clean them and take care of them.Seriously,I rarely need to clean them up,I did use carb cleaner on one..not such a good idea.WD 40 will flush grit out but use reel grease to lube them.WD is not a great lubicant.

Joe

You really do need to upgrade that Zebco 202 Joe! ;)

I once threw a baitcaster away, only to have the garbage man return it.. saying they weren't allowed to take feces.

A spinng reel, grease everything!!!

A baitcaster is mainly oiled!

When you dismantle a spinning reel, lay the parts out in the order they came off of the assembly... especially if you don't have the exploded diagram!!!

Remove the old grease with a damp cloth and regrease, don't worry about using too much grease... you can't!

Reassemble the parts in the reverse order of the way they came off.

Edited by GCD

You really do need to upgrade that Zebco 202 Joe! ;)

I once threw a baitcaster away, only to have the garbage man return it.. saying they weren't allowed to take feces.

A spinng reel, grease everything!!!

A baitcaster is mainly oiled!

When you dismantle a spinning reel, lay the parts out in the order they came off of the assembly... especially if you don't have the exploded diagram!!!

Remove the old grease with a damp cloth and regrease, don't worry about using too much grease... you can't!

Reassemble the parts in the reverse order of the way they came off.

sorry, but that's not recommended, nor correct.

the rule of thumb for both spinning and levelwind reels: grease gears, oil bearings. Always. and yes you can use too much grease. it'll all fly off the gears anyway and clog up the inside of the real.

the rest about assembly and reassembly, totally right on.

The comment about disposable spinning reels...yikes, stop getting reels at kmart. a good spinning reel is a 150 bucks. i wouldn't want to throw it away just because it's a bit stiff.

Edited by goteeboy

sorry, but that's not recommended, nor correct.

the rule of thumb for both spinning and levelwind reels: grease gears, oil bearings. Always. and yes you can use too much grease. it'll all fly off the gears anyway and clog up the inside of the real.

Oil the bearings on you boat trailer wheels and see how long they last!!!

Thge only thing I oil on a spinning reel is the handle knob and the bail pivots.

I was looking for a replacement bail spring last winter and got talking to the reel repairman.

He told me that the biggest problem, he sees, is over lubricated reels!

In my opinion, a DROP of oil on the bearings and a DAB of grease is all that is required.

These units aren't hitting 6000 RPM or doing 12 second quarter miles!

Oil the bearings on you boat trailer wheels and see how long they last!!!

Thge only thing I oil on a spinning reel is the handle knob and the bail pivots.

but we're not talking about trailer wheels here, we're talking about a spinning reel, big difference in stresses....

pack your reel full of grease and then come ice fishing, winter steelheading, etc, etc.....and then tell us you can never have too much grease....

I have always taken apart my own reels and cleaned them......eventually, at some point in time, YOU WILL MESS SOMETHING UP.....this is a fact....and then you will need to send it away to get put back together professionally....

I would recommend simply taking off the spool and revolving body, remove the side plate.....wipe clean and remove as much grit as possible and then give it a squirt of simple green (or your fav degreaser), I have a mini brush I scrub around a bit, use a qtip to get into the hard to reach places...then I rinse the whole thing under water and let dry under a lamp...make sure it's dry, a few burst from an air line to make sure you get all the water out.....you can take every last piece out of your reel if you like, but I find keeping it together is quicker and just as good......just make sure you dry your reel properly

splurge the few extra dollars and buy high quality grease, the quantum stuff is good and is more consistent in cold weather...ie ice fishing.....I grease the gears but not excessively, SPARINGLY, and put a tiny layer around the edges of the side plate and frame body...don't actually know for sure if that helps to improve the seal but in my mind it's a comfort thing....

you'll have a plastic bearing sleeve with rollers in it, right around in the centre of your reel where the spool shaft slides through.....DO NOT remove that, the rollers will pop out and is tricky to put back in place....just put one small drop of oil on it and your solid

put a small drop of oil on your roller bearing too

as said before, grease on the gears and oil on the bearings

"In my opinion, a DROP of oil on the bearings and a DAB of grease is all that is required.

These units aren't hitting 6000 RPM or doing 12 second quarter miles!"

well said....