Good day Bad Day

Weeds

Well launched the new boat old boat yesterday for the second time and found that while the motor now starts and seems to run great it won't engage in gear, either first or reverse. I adjusted the tension in the cable and it makes no difference. I'm guessing it's something enternal but would love some advice if anybody has any. Or if anybody knows a reasonable place that does boat motor work in the Peterborough area. Anyways, packed the boat back on the trailer and wandered/waded across some new shoreline. Managed a small musky (maybe 32ish) in a new spot, It's been so long since I caught one I was expecting it be a 40 before I got to see it. Easy realse. So got to try out some new gear and get that first one out of the way before noon, good start to the season if it wasn't for the motor trouble. Anybody have any thoughts on the motor? It's a console type boat with the shifter/starter/steering anyway from the motor just to clarify. Thanks, Rossco

May be a broken cable inside the cable housing, take one end off and see if you can pull a piece out.

Congrats on the Mucksie!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks GCD. When I move the shift lever the selector on the motor moves moves into either neutral, reverse, or forward. Can even feel a slight click as it shifts. Also when the motor is in neutral I can turn the prop assembly by hand. When I put it in Forward or Reverse I can't (Naturally ther motor is off while I'm trying this). The shear pin , if thats what I'm looking at, looks fine. I dunno.

Thanks GCD. When I move the shift lever the selector on the motor moves moves into either neutral, reverse, or forward. Can even feel a slight click as it shifts. Also when the motor is in neutral I can turn the prop assembly by hand. When I put it in Forward or Reverse I can't (Naturally ther motor is off while I'm trying this). The shear pin , if thats what I'm looking at, looks fine. I dunno.

Then I'd say your trouble is the connection between the motor and the shift lever.

"Also when the motor is in neutral I can turn the prop assembly by hand. When I put it in Forward or Reverse I can't"

That is odd because the prop not turning means it is going into gear.

Can you try it with a set of muffs on. Put it in gear and see if the prop turns.

Edited by glen

Has anybody ever had to replace their Clutch Dog before? Been doing some research and have a horrible feeling this could be my problem. Worn clutch dog and worn gears means big money and my wallets already worn out. Previous owner said it would occasionally slip out of forward but suggested it was just more of a shifter tension kind of thing, he'd just hold the shifter forward with a bungee cord. I'm getting that uneasy I've just been screwed feeling.

Has anybody ever had to replace their Clutch Dog before? Been doing some research and have a horrible feeling this could be my problem. Worn clutch dog and worn gears means big money and my wallets already worn out. Previous owner said it would occasionally slip out of forward but suggested it was just more of a shifter tension kind of thing, he'd just hold the shifter forward with a bungee cord. I'm getting that uneasy I've just been screwed feeling.

I changed the clutch dog on my 25 Johnson Seahorse (1975), piece of cake if your mechanically inclinded. Make sure to get an extra detent spring (I wrecked one reassembling) and new seals and you might as well change the impeller while your at it.

I changed the clutch dog on my 25 Johnson Seahorse (1975), piece of cake if your mechanically inclinded. Make sure to get an extra detent spring (I wrecked one reassembling) and new seals and you might as well change the impeller while your at it.

Spiel, did you have any forward/reverse gear left before you changed it? Did you have to change the gears as well? Do you mind me asking where you got the parts? Thanks, Ross

I did have forward and reverse and was able to run up to full throttle as long as I accelerated slowly, otherwise it would slip out of gear.

Once I got it apart and looked it over you'd be hard pressed to see that the clutch dog was worn out, the engaging teeth were ever so slightly worn, hard to believe it could be so much of an issue. Clutch dog is a cheap fix and from what I understand they typically fail while the gears will remain intact. Anyway changing the clutch dog immediately solved the slipping out of gear. Keep in mind though that I could engage the gears even with a worn dog and when it slipped out of gear you felt it!

I was able to attain the needed parts here in Hamitlon at Bay City Marine.