What do i look for in a canoe?

Posted this in the classified discussion area by mistake...Thanks Kickingfrog for alerting me on this and on your advice too!

Since boats are too dang freakin expensive, I'm lookin into buying a canoe and need some help from you expert outdoorsmen :Dbiggrin.gif

I'm hoping to get a fairly stable canoe that would be easy to portage with and fish from (including netting fish without tipping the canoe...almost happened..ze girlfriend was not too impressed...the 8 pound laker made me care less ;)wink.gif ..)

I've been told that the length of the canoe for portaging purposes is based on the height of the carrier...is this true?? if it is, i aint the tallest bloke ..just 5'6..

Also, my gal will be the one doing most of the paddling/steering whilst I fish :)smile.gif .

Any tips would be greatly appreciated..

Tight Lines!

N

Even being smaller in stature you're going to want a minimum of 16' in length, anything less is very very limiting.

If you're portaging it you'll want kevlar or even better yet ultra light kevlar or carbon fiber.

Some of the better boats are incredibly light. I looked at an 181/2' Souris River last week that weighed 42lb's...

You'll likely want what is commonly called a "recreation" style canoe. Suitable for flatwater, and a bit wider and more stable than other sleeker craft.

Top brand names to look for in a canoe would be Swift, Langford and Souris River. Scott also makes a more entry level kevlar boat that's not bad as does Evergreen.

Check Kijiji and Craigslist regularly that's your best bet.

I picked up a used Langford earlier in the spring from a guy posting on Kijij.

Almost picked up another boat last week that was on Craigslist. It was a 161/2' carbon fiber Swift Kipawa. The guy ended up selling it in about 5 minutes for $750. (Worth in excess of 3k new).

The deals are out there if you're patient..

Just a thought....If your going to be doing a lot of fishing on your own there are some really nice kayaks out there that you can fish out of and portaging will never be an issue..I just picked up a fishing kayak from Canadian tire on sale for $399...Its a great entry kayak and I must say its very hard to tip over..Had it out on the ponds here in London couple days ago and I rocked it back and forth pretty good with no tipping issues. I'm also 240 pounds so I figure I'm giving it lots of ballast :D

Anyways,just a thought....

All I got to say is prospector

The boat I just picked up is a Langford Prospector. Most major canoe manufacturers make there own version of the prospector....an age old classic symetrical design.

It's a great boat, I love it, but it's not a boat for a novice canoeist.

The prospector has way more rocker than your average flatwater craft. That makes it more responsive and a good all around boat for both lakes and rivers.

But imo you've got to have some skill to paddle it safely.

A novice canoeist is far better off paddling a true flatwater craft....less versatile but way more stable.

Solopaddler has some great advice, and likely one of the more knowledgeable on this subject matter.

A few other things though. I think to give you the best advice we need to know more about your needs and plans of usage. Do you plan on doing mostly flat water or flowing water? How experienced are you and your stern person (girlfriend)? and how much importance do you put on weight? will you be doing a lot of portages?

With respect to weight, it all depends on your plans. If you plan on running a lot of rapids and doing extensive trips, you may sacrifice weight for reliability and go with a heavier, yet more durable Royalex canoe. I doubt you will need that though so you'd probably look for kevlar or ultralight carbon-kevlar's if you plan on lots of portaging, but those boast can be pricey ($2500 +). Another great option is Fiberglass, they are heavier than Kevlar, but are being made lighter than they used to be, also very easy to repair if you damage your boat. If you are just looking for a very rudimentary intro boat with low cost and still suitable performance look into polyethelene boats. I bought a Clearwater Design poly. boat about 7 years ago from their warehouse sale for $250, it was a factory second but the problems were purely cosmetic, works great, but its heavy (comparable to fiberglass).

I agree with solo go with a minimum of 16'. Should be a great overall boat for short tripping, and even small enough to do some solo paddling without too much difficulties. Kijiji is a great place to look, and in addition to the brands mentioned I will through out Clipper, We-no-nah and bell to look into.

Also, make sure you are happy with the seats. nothing worse than sitting in an uncomfortable seat all day long. When you choose your paddles, don't let the salesman trick you into holding it over your head to determine length. While this is a general fitting method, you must consider how low your boat sits in the water, and at what point the seat is mounted within the canoe. You don't want to buy an expensive ($80+) paddle only to find out your seats are hung low in the boat and the length of the paddle makes it awkward.

I know this has been long, but I just love canoeing. A final important thing to consider is the Keel. It might be nice as a beginner to have a keel because it helps you track straight,, but as you advance your paddling ability you will find it a hindrance for turning on a dime, tracking in winder, maneuverability, etc. Also if paddling rapids and shallow waters keels can easily get caught on rocks and dead-fall and tip you easily.

lots to consider but find something that works for you and is within your price range and you will fall in love with canoeing.

If it was me, I'd be looking into a square back. Paddling is somehting I like to watch other people do... so consider a square back and you can easily mount an electric or small gas motor on the back.

HH

This is true.

I also own a squareback Sportspal that I use with my 2hp Honda motor.

I've got the 16' version, but the 14'er weighs only 48lb's I think. They can easily be fitted with a yoke for portaging.

If back lake fishing day trips, and not actual canoe trips will be your primary goal then this would be the way to go imo.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

solopaddler said all that can be said about the higher end of canoes.

the skies the limit on performance (and price)...

the biggest factor is just to couple your need with the right canoe. if you are going to get out in it 3x a season, in a location where you can drive to i can't see there being a need for a 3000 dollar kevlar prospector. if you intend on conquering the algonquin back country, you are going to want a canoe that is under 50 lbs but still 16ft in case the weather turns. if you intend on fishing on larger waters, again, you want your canoe to be larger in size, and perhaps desire a heavier canoe for greater performance in wind and waves. i used to have a 20ft cedar strip that was like a cadillac on lake superior. unfortunately it weighed more than any person in their right mind would want to carry any distance further than the length of a boat launch.

sportspals can be alright but i've found them to be unmanageable as soon as any wind kicks up, even with a motor. it seems the front end swings all over the place.

sportspals can be alright but i've found them to be unmanageable as soon as any wind kicks up, even with a motor. it seems the front end swings all over the place.

Really? Not with mine. Perhaps different sportspals perform differently. There's the regular double ended ones (useless for anything), Y-stern version (a bit better) and the straight flat back (best).

They're very stable and light although a bit fragile.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Really? Not with mine. Perhaps different sportspals perform differently. There's the regular double ended ones (useless for anything), Y-stern version (a bit better) and the straight flat back (best).

They're very stable and light although a bit fragile.

it was with an electric motor as opposed to a gas, but when the wind gusted it was impossible to keep it headed straight. all we could figure was the lightweight? i did like the width however, and the fact that it was lined with foam inside for keeping quiet on brookie lakes.

I have a 16' Big Chief with keel & a 17' Cowan with out keel, Paddle Saugeen and Maitland Rivers mostly very little portaging if any, both are stable but the 17' has more room for tackle and you can never take enough tackle, for years I took 2 kids in one canoe and camped over night, started out with my 2 & 3 year old beside each other in the front seat, worked good, one paddled each side and when they got bored they could play a game, then they took turns front and middle, now they go in canoes beside me, try going to an outfitter and asking to try the canoe out lots of places have trial days on a body of water,

Richard

The boat I just picked up is a Langford Prospector. Most major canoe manufacturers make there own version of the prospector....an age old classic symetrical design.

It's a great boat, I love it, but it's not a boat for a novice canoeist.

The prospector has way more rocker than your average flatwater craft. That makes it more responsive and a good all around boat for both lakes and rivers.

But imo you've got to have some skill to paddle it safely.

A novice canoeist is far better off paddling a true flatwater craft....less versatile but way more stable.

We have a nova craft 16' prospector. Both of us never really canoed before and I've even had it out by myself with no issues (aside from learning to move up in the boat to deal with the wind). I find the prospector very stable, but am interested to know why it's not a novice canoe.

Our 16' prospector in royalex lite is somewhere around 58lbs :thumbsup_anim:

We have a nova craft 16' prospector. Both of us never really canoed before and I've even had it out by myself with no issues (aside from learning to move up in the boat to deal with the wind). I find the prospector very stable, but am interested to know why it's not a novice canoe.

Our 16' prospector in royalex lite is somewhere around 58lbs :thumbsup_anim:

Each companies take on the prospector design is a bit different.

The original design which my Langford is true to has more rocker than most flatwater canoes.

Rocker basically means how much the ends of the boat curve upwards.

Boats with more rocker have a smaller pivot point and turn easier especially in whitewater.

Most true whitewater canoes have a lot of rocker.

More rocker generally means a much more responsive, but tippier craft. Also makes the canoe harder to track straight in a flatwater environment.

As mentioned each companies take on the design is a bit different. Perhaps the Nova Craft is a bit more flat bottomed.