Finally in the Club

mpagnan

Well, I decided to go out tonight because it was such a wonderful evening and the rain has kept me in all week. I was working the creek that I usually do and paying special attention to the deeper pools only. With the limited amount of time I had (wife pressure) and the gin clear water I decided to use my go to #2 Mepps Bronze. I came to one of my favourite spots and worked the pool from upstream first. I simply cast straight across and reeled in as slow as I possibly could...enough to keep the blades spinning. I landed 3 good size smallies immediately and lost 2 on great vertical jumps. Man they love to play. So, I try again and all of a sudden this reddish/brown object jumps on the lure.

After a good battle I pulled it in but was more occupied with releasing it and getting it back into the water no worse for wear than taking a good picture! So here it is. It's length was just a bit past the length of my fingertip to elbow. I'm assuming it's a rainbow but if I'm wrong please let me know.

P.S. FINALLY!

First_large_Bow.JPG

As BillM mentioned, the Bow was in rough shape. Immediately after the our little fight it started to go down like the Bismark. I'm curious as to why it was in rough shape? I was fishing in a Lake Ontario trib so I'm assuming it was a resident trout and it's at home and under no migratory spawning pressure. But maybe I'm wrong? Would this Bow have made the same travels as a steelie or Chinook?

Also, should I have kept it?

Thanks again,

MJP

I'm well aware of the bass opener. I only landed 1 and it never came out of the water. Also, I pinch all my barbs so not to worry.

A CO will charge you with this, it does not matter if you don't keep it or use barbless hooks. Basically you are harassing a out of season fish,my buddy was charged with this last year. Just some friendly advice B)

Really,

That's a tough break. I have to ask then how am I not entitled to fish water for a species that is in season? I have no choice what grabs my line especially since the lure is useable for both trout and bass. Did your friend challenge the charge with the Ministry?

I landed 3 good size smallies immediately and lost 2 on great vertical jumps. Man they love to play. So, I try again

Seems kinda obvious you were enjoying the OOS smallmouth no?

I would think after 3 smallmouth, it's time to move on.

Real hard to say to CO you were fishing for trout when you don't know what one looks like ????? what club did you join , The out of season fishers, seams like their membership is growing ???

Edited by capt bruce

Oh Captain Bruce,

Aren't we the comic! Please do pass on the membership card for out-of-season anglers so I can fill it out. Is that what you are getting at! I do know the differnce between a trout and a bass I was just trying to identify whether it was migratory or not...I'll admit that. But I do think I've identified what type of .... you are.

Some of you guys need to get off your high horse.

Pags, as Spiel already said the trout was a steelhead dropping back to the lake.

There's always a few stragglers kicking around this time of year. Worn out from spawning and more importantly the quickly warming waters aren't conducive to a healthy fish.