Boneless Pike

Fishnwire

That is the exact method I was hoping I'd see when I started the thread. I once saw an 80 year old Native guide on the French river clean pike that way but couldn't remember the specifics...it was 20 years ago.

You lose a little bit of meat but what you retain is truly boneless. Some guys have a funny idea of what "boneless" means. Nothing is worse than chewing away on a nice fish a freshly cooked fish and encountering a big ol' bone. It always makes me want to spit out the whole mouthful.

Thanks again.

that first video was terrible, that guy is such a hack, when he is skinning the last piece of the fillet he leaves a massive piece of skin on and its hacked up into a bunch of tiny pieces. the video bigugli posted is much better but that guy scares me with his slashing motions like the knife is super dull. when you fillet it like the second video you will also have a large piece of meat thats on the back of the fish and you can cut that off and skin that to but i dont normally do that unless the fish is 5lb+. Pike fillets nom nom nom!

There is also a 4 fillet method which I was taught

I like your method better.What the other video shows is wasting a lot of good meat from the tail section and belly.Pike have lots of meat around the rib areas and under.Much more than you're used to seeing when cleaning other fish.Why waste it.

Kerry

I like the first Video. By far the easiest for the first timers. If you can remember how to take the Y Bones out, using this Video, your a better man than me.

OR

I TRI THE BEST I DU TABERNACK

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v679/lla...ikeFrench-1.flv

Edited by holdfast

That first video is a good one except for one major thing. I do my pike like that, but he's wrong about the tail section. You can get MUCH bigger boneless pieces off the tail by starting your knife below the dorsal fin (at the FRONT of the fin) and running your knife all the way back. The WHOLE section from the front of the dorsal fin to the tail is boneless. I was really surprised to see that he ignored it.

I've never tried it the way the second video showed, but I will give it a shot and see if it saves more boneless meat.

Someone said the first video wastes belly meat - actually it doesn't... you can take it all if you want. I usually discard a strip of the lowest belly meat, but it's there on the side slabs if you want it.

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

That first video is a good one except for one major thing. I do my pike like that, but he's wrong about the tail section. You can get MUCH bigger boneless pieces off the tail by starting your knife below the dorsal fin (at the FRONT of the fin) and running your knife all the way back. The WHOLE section from the front of the dorsal fin to the tail is boneless. I was really surprised to see that he ignored it.

Your absolutly right...he wastes way too much meat....even cutting and leaving the belly meat...not the best but fry it up, and its fine!

Take your time when you do that method and you get almost all the meat..more than that guy showed. His hands were proably frozen :D

I was doing an edit about the time you posted, Anders.

Yes, to give the guy credit his hands were probably cold. A shame about the tail meat, though. He unnecessarily wastes a lot there. I guess it must be what he was shown and he's never tried to take the whole piece.