Flippin combo

Lunker777

Hey everyone

Just want to hear some suggestions on a good combo for flippin n pitchin for around $150 ?

Ive done a search, and I know that I can spend like $200 on a reel for flippin but I dont want to spend that hahah

I know I need a long rod, 7'6". I just want a suggestion of maybe a brand thats a little better/cheaper than your average stick ya know ?

Im also wondering if I can use my spinning combo I have... its a 7' HEAVY action with a shimano sahara 3000 reel.

Thanks for any help !

I think you will be really frustrated with the spinning combo...ultimately you will just be pitching. To flip, you want the pendulum action so the jig enters nice and quiet...to do it with a spinning reel, I find that I get slack line around the handle every other time. But of course, trying it out is free...no harm in that.

Linker777, for flipping and or pitching you really want to go with a bait caster for a couple of reasons... firstly the reel power is far superior in a casting over a spinning since the line is a direct drive to the spool and is designed to handle the heavier lines associated with flipping heavy cover like 20-30 lb mono or fluoro or 50-65 lb braid... on a spinning reel that will drive you batty. Secondly the rod powers and actions in a 7'0-7'6" will make it easier to turn the fish's head in the cover than will be possible on the lighter spinning rod, especially a 2 piece. Flipping sticks are typically telescopic giving them a ton of backbone all the while maintaining a softer (not soft) tip section. Look for a medium heavy with fast or extra fast action that is rated 12-25 lb test.

You can flip with a heavy spinning rod with 40 lb braid but you will be sacrificing a bunch of accuracy in the end. One more thing to look for is a reel with a 6.2:1 or 7:1 gear ratio.... flipping with a 5:1 will also drive you to drink since you can pick up the line fast enough.

JP

If you are getting into flipping and pitching, chances are you are getting into bass fishing for real. Once you figure it out and and start pounding dukers out of cover and docks, you will be transformed!

IMO, you should do yourself a favor and spend the extra cash now on a decent flipping combo.....you will upgrade eventually to a burner bait caster (6.2 or 7.1:1 gearing) and a heavy stick, so you may as well spend the extra $$ now.....do yourself another favor and get yourself some cheep mono, 12-17lb and practice flipping in your yard. My neighbors used to think I was a nut job but now on a nice night we will all sit out front having drinks and the flipping stick becomes the main entertainment.......they set up beer cans and cups to see if I can put the jig in the cup, or hit the can ect. It's fun and will help you build confidence to fish the jig.....it's all about confidence and sticking with it.

RR

If you are getting into flipping and pitching, chances are you are getting into bass fishing for real. Once you figure it out and and start pounding dukers out of cover and docks, you will be transformed!

IMO, you should do yourself a favor and spend the extra cash now on a decent flipping combo.....you will upgrade eventually to a burner bait caster (6.2 or 7.1:1 gearing) and a heavy stick, so you may as well spend the extra $$ now.....do yourself another favor and get yourself some cheep mono, 12-17lb and practice flipping in your yard. My neighbors used to think I was a nut job but now on a nice night we will all sit out front having drinks and the flipping stick becomes the main entertainment.......they set up beer cans and cups to see if I can put the jig in the cup, or hit the can ect. It's fun and will help you build confidence to fish the jig.....it's all about confidence and sticking with it.

RR

To tell ya the truth... Im actually fishing some tourneys this year and flippin is going to be one of our main techniques on some of the water we are fishing. Im a ROOOOOOKIE forsure so it will be good to get into flippin ! It also seems like a relaxin way to fish since your not huckin lures all day long ya know ?

Hhahaha yea with the way the American dollar is right now, I think a trip over to BPS is in order and Ill be able to pick up a nice combo ! Do you have any suggestiongs on a decent reel with a flippin switch ?

That would be a goood summer night.... a little holy board, maybe some horse shoes, a flippin stick and some cups hahah Can't get any better then that! WAIT... I forgot the POPS :thumbsup_anim: